NEWS

Wall running + Hang time combo

• 92 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <01-24-15/0749:31> »
Play a Harvester, and you might just make it over a large river on the side of a bridge.  ::)
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

adzling

« Reply #31 on: <01-24-15/1053:56> »
Well you're all way more liberal than me.

But then I don't play my games with unreal action movie physics mostly so I guess it's not surprising given the amount of comments here around that subject.

Just different playstyles and I am hard up against "a grenade going off under a car does not have enough explosive to shoot the car 20 feet into the air".

I do agree with Nam, these kinds of powers are great for producing Adepts that aren't just another killing machine and I encourage that in my game.

For us there is no need to expand a 0.25 pp adept power to give it more appeal, it's plenty good as is.

If course it seems we are in the minority.

People want their shinies.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <01-24-15/1133:16> »
Hang time is cool but I also like free fall.  It may something of a niche but 3 levels of free fall lets drop 12m unscathed.  That's easily 3 stories. 

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-24-15/1144:59> »
Which begs the question, can you combine Hang Time and Free Fall to not suffer any damage when you eventually have to let go?

Or better yet, Wall Running + Hang Time + Free Fall... :D

adzling

« Reply #34 on: <01-24-15/1149:54> »
Free Fall is cool.
My toon does have all three, Wall Running, Hang Time and Free Fall and it does make for some fun acrobatics (Gymnastics of 15 helps)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #35 on: <01-24-15/1836:16> »
Hold up Adzling - your character has a 15 in Gymnastics?  How is that even possible?  The highest anyone can ever go is 13.  Are you talking about your total dice pool?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #36 on: <01-24-15/2153:51> »
Improved Ability (Gymnastics) 3, maybe?
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

8-bit

« Reply #37 on: <01-24-15/2220:47> »
Hold up Adzling - your character has a 15 in Gymnastics?  How is that even possible?  The highest anyone can ever go is 13.  Are you talking about your total dice pool?

Probably the dice pool.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #38 on: <01-24-15/2235:42> »
But then I don't play my games with unreal action movie physics mostly so I guess it's not surprising given the amount of comments here around that subject.

Well, we mostly don't either.  But when magic gets involved - 'you can magically stick to a surface for up to five minutes, even the sheer side of a building or upside-down on the ceiling' - then some rules get bent, because that's part and parcel of the game.  I no longer know about you, but most of the rest of us are trying to figure out where the boundaries of 'cool niche power' are ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

adzling

« Reply #39 on: <01-25-15/1107:15> »
Ok so:

"Here's the thing - while on first read Hang Time requires you to be absolutely motionless, the specific thing(s) you cannot move are the points of contact that are providing the Hang Time.  You could - I think - move any other limbs, so you could hang there with one hand and both knees (or just both knees!!) and draw a pistol and fire."

Yes you could do this according to how it's written.

"Or - and I'm just spitballin', here - you could hang by one foot and the opposite hand, move the other foot/hand combo upwards, lock them into place, and 'free' the first pair - and thus ascend using only that."

No you cannot do this, it specifically says you cannot in fact.
It's not Spider Climb, it's Hang Time.

How do we know this?

Because:
1). you only get a small die bonus to climb you do not get to run up a wall like spider man or gecko gloves. If it worked that way you would not get a die bonus, you would get to climb without falling. And there would be no focus on hanging and time limits for same, it would focus on climbing. Which it does not.
2). it only costs 0.25pp, wall running costs 0.5pp. A power that lets you free-climb anything without fear of falling and arrest your fall would be like 1pp or maybe even more, It's incredibly powerful.

So yeah, I understand why people want to make this work with Wall Running, I mean my toon is specifially built to be farkin Ninja with Traceless Walk, Wall Running, Freefall and Hang Time.

But no, it specifically says Hang Time NOT Spider Climb and the text, although a bit confusing, does specifically say MOTIONLESS as in NOT MOVING as in NOT CLIMBING and NOT RUNNING and NOT FALLING.

Nam my gymnastics dice pool is not that amazing, it's 9 dexterity + 1 balance augmenter + 5 skill.
He's very good but not superhuman ;-)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #40 on: <01-25-15/1113:11> »
Nam my gymnastics dice pool is not that amazing, it's 9 dexterity + 1 balance augmenter + 5 skill.
He's very good but not superhuman ;-)

LOL okay that makes a LOT more sense then.  You had said your character had Gymnastics 15, and I was freaking out.  :P
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <01-25-15/1137:03> »

no climbing, no running, no moving after the activation but moving in order to get to the specific point where you want to use hang time=nothing against it in the power description.

adzling

« Reply #42 on: <01-25-15/1147:25> »
True Kabuto, however given you have to concentrate....

I guess if you were being less stringent than me you could run up the wall and stick in place.

Wall Running up a high wall via Hang Time "skipping" still seems, wrong to me.

But, as noted, I'm a bit of hardliner compared to most folks it seems.

edit. sorry i keep mangling your name. i'm an idiot, don't forget that Sabato!

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <01-25-15/1911:23> »
no climbing, no running, no moving after the activation

So what happens when it ends? You just ... drop off? :)

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-25-15/2002:06> »
So what I'm gathering is adzling's and Sabato's interpretation is you cannot physically do anything once you activate hang time. Even swallowing is enough to degrip you.

One particular comment struck me.. "Unreal movie physics."  Meaning those few seconds that a person is capable of remaining still is somehow "unreal" despite it actually existing quite well in real life. Its this moment of forces changing from going up, to go going down that is a fundamental block of real life parkour.

If objects fell at exactly the same rate all the time, then yes, it would be unreal to have a few moments of pausing.

But since this is a game and this is magic.. Lets just go right into what the power actually says.

For each level of this power, the adept can attach himself to a surface and hang out for approximately five minutes, provided he remains motionless and keeps physical contact with the surface in question with hands, feet, knees, or elbows.

Here the power says motionless. As in without motion. And is being the primary focus of all the "You can't move your  other limbs.. You have to stay still."

However.. We need to continue reading.

Moving the attached body parts on the surface they’re adhering to, such as a moving vehicle, breaks the bond, making the adept fall off.

Now this is a particularly weird thing to say after saying motionless.. Unless its further explaining what the power means by motionless. Why specifically say that moving the attached body parts would make one fall off if its going to be moving anything.

Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Register