NEWS

Wall running + Hang time combo

• 92 Replies

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-23-15/1946:41> »
Since Shadowrun actions and movement rules are specific, and time required for lack of motion etc are not given I'll stick with my interpretation.If I'm correct motionless could also imply not to use your body mechanisms in order to move, having nothing to do with gravity(In greek, it can be translated that way).Which is what you do at the end of your running phase.

Let's agree to disagree
I sincerely thank you for giving me your opinion

Hopefuly the devs will clarify the rule in the future.

adzling

« Reply #16 on: <01-23-15/1948:42> »
It actually does dramatically expand the Hang Time power to allowing you to arrest falls.

So if you drop off a twenty storey building you could stop yourself without any chance of dying or injuring yourself.

Which the power is clearly not designed to do.

Or you could use it to spider climb up a wall without any chance of falling, which again it clearly precludes.

IT would be cool if it could do those things, but it cannot and it even specifically says you cannot.

Sigh

gold stars all round!

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <01-23-15/2010:59> »
I personally would always allow it to work while climbing, wallrunning upwards, maybe with a reduced threshold freefall test to prevent yourself from falling (not to stop it once you fall, the ability should definitely not allow you to do that), and with a (1) acrobaticstest after running sideways.
Hopping up a wall an arm length at a time would look too funny to disallow, but then that should incur tests that aren't actually easier than just climbing; certainly the ability is not meant to keep you on walls indefinitely.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-23-15/2035:31> »
It actually does dramatically expand the Hang Time power to allowing you to arrest falls.

So if you drop off a twenty storey building you could stop yourself without any chance of dying or injuring yourself.

Which the power is clearly not designed to do.

Or you could use it to spider climb up a wall without any chance of falling, which again it clearly precludes.

IT would be cool if it could do those things, but it cannot and it even specifically says you cannot.

Sigh

gold stars all round!

When you fall off a building you don't actually get to use a simple action unless I'm mistaken...?

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <01-23-15/2101:26> »
This was the Spiderman I had envisioned.

Not this.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-23-15/2151:39> »
If you are pushed or thrown off a building, falling rules state how far you fall each turn. Throwing rules will dictate how far away from the building you are. Reach rules give us a rough outline of whether that's too far away or not.

Falling characters drop 50 meters in the first Combat Turn, 150 meters in the second Combat Turn, and 200 meters every Combat Turn after that.

I'd place that downward movement at the end of each IP, divided as per usual. I see no problem with the character attempting to make contact with a solid surface on their next IP, facing a less lethal amount of falling landing damage, as falling rules suggest.
The gamemaster should feel free to modify the damage to reflect a softer landing surface (sand), branches to break the fall, and so on.

It only sounds stupid when you start going "fwah fwah, no chance of dying or injuring, clearly not designed for that, have a gold star."
« Last Edit: <01-23-15/2159:59> by Novocrane »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-23-15/2328:36> »
I'd allow it. Wall running is really just fast climbing without handholds. So if ordinary climbing isn't enough motion to stop you from activating hang time I don't think wall running needs to be. You wall run, hit your limit, stop moving and then begin to fall. Between the stop running and beginning of faking you activate hang time. You then on your next pass activate wall running and run up higher, rinse, repeat.

adzling

« Reply #22 on: <01-23-15/2337:49> »
Thank you, that's exactly it.
Climbing is enough to stop you activating hang time.
It clearly states it gives one die to add to climbing, it doesn't make climbing fall proof.
Which it would if you could climb like Spider-Man.

So considering that even slowly climbing is enough to stop you from using hang time to arrest your fall then how could wall running possibly be slow enough?!

I mean its, well, obvious that you must not be moving when you activate it.

It's hang time not spider climb!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <01-24-15/0000:38> »
My point or at least I was trying to make poorly was the opposite. If it functions in a way to benefit climbing. +1 die it clearly doesn't reauire absolute freezing of motion. The sticking  to a wall part would be pointless if you couldn't move as you had to move to get to the point you decided to stick to. And if there are handholds which you are stopping your motion on you don't need an adept power to stick there. You just need strong fingers.

Your reading would make any use of the part of the power they lets you stick to a wall impossible. Because you need movement to get to a place you want to stick to.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <01-24-15/0023:33> »
I can see combining these powers for climbing but I would draw the line at trying to use hang time to stop a fall.  During a fall there is no pause where you could be considered motionless to activate the power and even if you could it would not cancel your momentum so you would immediately pull yourself loose as the rest of your body continued to fall. 

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #25 on: <01-24-15/0054:55> »
... here's the thing.  No, Hang Time is not going to stop a fall, but gravity takes a perceptible, measureable amount of time to move an object - any object - a significant distance.  A quarter-second for a half-meter; 1/3 a second for a full meter.  (And yeah, it only goes faster after that.)  The trick for the possessor of the two powers is to be using each at the right time.

You Wall Run, and just before you reach your limit of distance, you reach out to the wall ahead of you, put your hand there, and trigger Hang Time, which sticks you to the wall - and that's where you stop your Wall Run, because hey, you're using Hang Time to stop.  Then, without moving the adhering limb(s), meaning maybe his hand and one knee; he gets ready to push off and Wall Run again; triggering Wall Run, he takes off a-running.  Rinse; repeat.

Here's the thing - while on first read Hang Time requires you to be absolutely motionless, the specific thing(s) you cannot move are the points of contact that are providing the Hang Time.  You could - I think - move any other limbs, so you could hang there with one hand and both knees (or just both knees!!) and draw a pistol and fire.  Or - and I'm just spitballin', here - you could hang by one foot and the opposite hand, move the other foot/hand combo upwards, lock them into place, and 'free' the first pair - and thus ascend using only that.  You'd move as using Unassisted Climbing, with a die bonus as per the power, but you would - could - still move.  It's when you try to adjust the hand you're using to stick to the surface that you're heading down.

Or maybe I just want cool superninja shit in my game, I dunno.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #26 on: <01-24-15/0112:15> »
I say roll with it.  Rule of Cool and all that.  Besides, how often are these powers taken, let alone taken together?  This encourages some adept other than the "break you with my fist" adepts that I see so often.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <01-24-15/0118:28> »
I say roll with it.  Rule of Cool and all that.  Besides, how often are these powers taken, let alone taken together?  This encourages some adept other than the "break you with my fist" adepts that I see so often.

I Second that!

north

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <01-24-15/0149:45> »
We have an adept in my game that just uses hang time to jump up buildings.  Its fun and cool, and so what if someone else could get up there faster with a grapple gun.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #29 on: <01-24-15/0156:11> »
Yeah.  Hang Time becomes useful for me, at least IMO, with that interpretation - because otherwise, if you want to 'hang out', you might want to do it for more than 5, 10, or 20m.

My real question is 'how far can I sprint laterally along a wall with Wall Running?'  I mean, Hawatari has an (average) 77m full sprint (Run 65m + 4 successes x 3m/success) ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.