NEWS

First character from a new player. (400bp)

• 28 Replies

Jaffer

• Newb
« on: <07-15-11/1926:33> »
***Updated version on page two***

Name: Irving Fisher
Metatype: Human

Stats:
Body: 4
Agility: 5
Reaction: 5 (7)
Strength: 3
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 3
Logic: 3
Willpower: 3

Edge: 6
Essence: 4.5

Qualities:
Positive:
Ambidextrous
Blandness
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( +1 to called shots to disarm )
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( Ready a weapon as a free action )
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( -1 to the negative for shooting in melee )
Perceptive (1)
Photographic Memory
Restricted Gear

Negative:
Combat Monster
Incompetent (Computers)
Incompetent (Data Search)
Incompetent (Hacking)
Incompetent (Hardware)
Incompetent (Software)
Uncouth
Signature (golden bullet fired into the target, post mortem)

Skills:
Athletics (1)
Stealth (2)
Perception (2)
Longarms (Sniper Rifles) (5)
Unarmed (Martial Arts: Krav Maga) (5)
Pistols (3)
Automatics (1)
Armorer (2)
First Aid (1)
Pilot Ground Vehicle (1)

Knowledge: Black Markets (Weapons) (3)
Knowledge: Fancy Restaurants (1)
Knowledge: Firearms (3)
Knowledge: Military (Special Forces) (3)
Knowledge: Safe Houses (Runner Houses) (3)
Knowledge: Security Procedures (2)

Language: English (N)

Augmentation:
Synaptic Booster (2)
Digestive Expansion

Comlink:
Model: Renraku Sensei

Fake SIN:
SIN 5
SIN 4
SIN 3

Weapons:
Ranger Arms SM-4 (Inbuilt Smart System, Bipod)
Ares Light Fire 70 (Silencer)

Armor:
Ulysses Line
Form Fitting Armor (Half Body Suit)

Gear:
Monocle (Visor style) (Smartlink, Vision Enhancement (3))
Ghillie suit (Urban)
Ghillie suit (Bush)
Backpack

Regular rounds
subsonic rounds
Gold rounds
Spare clips

Shop (Armorer)

Contacts:
Loyalty 1 / Connections 3 - Contract provider
Loyalty 4 / Connections 1 - Computer expert / Hacker

Vehicle:
Sedan (concealed armor (5), Personal Armor (6))

Lifestyle: High

Bio:
Former special forces.
Started contracting after the crash.
Doesn't understand computers (Quote: "Where's the 'any' key?")

Combat style:
Will wait for multiple days to make the shot.
Will pack up and try to blend into the crowd or bush after the shot.
Doesn't try to attract attention.

Bit of a recluse / hermit - does not talk much or get on with people.
When talking 'shop' the character becomes a bit more involved

-------------------------

This is my first attempt at a character, what do you all think?
« Last Edit: <07-17-11/0132:35> by Jaffer »

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-15-11/1936:32> »
Others will bring this up in more detail but most GMs wouldn't go along with
Incompetent (Computers)
Incompetent (Data Search)
Incompetent (Hacking)
Incompetent (Hardware)
Incompetent (Software)
It's hard to be ex-special forces but barely be able to turn a commlink on

or be comfortable with Uncouth
« Last Edit: <07-15-11/1939:11> by Chrona »

Jaffer

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <07-15-11/1946:07> »
I wanted the character to have that "Where the 'any' key" quality to them, for fun mostly.

I wanted them to be anti-social and a bit of a loner, and uncouth seemed like the best option for me there.

Is there a better way for me to impliment this?

If I need more points, I am willing to drop the car...

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-15-11/1957:01> »
I wanted the character to have that "Where the 'any' key" quality to them, for fun mostly.

I wanted them to be anti-social and a bit of a loner, and uncouth seemed like the best option for me there.

Is there a better way for me to impliment this?

If I need more points, I am willing to drop the car...
Like I said, the main problem is it doesn't fit too well with ex-special forces. Maybe switch the common ones, computer, etc to codeblock instead.
Uncouth is more Me+Talking=Barfight
being a loner is more something you need to roleplay, not buy.

baronspam

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-15-11/1958:42> »
Positive and negative qualities are limited to 35 points each.  I think  you are over.

Think long and hard over uncouth.  It makes your character a social idiot. 

Also think long and hard about the overall computer incompetence.  Even if you are not a hacker computer technology is ubiquitous. If you can't send and email or run a basic matrix search there will be some significant issues. 

You are a pretty skilled distance shooter, and the longarms skill can cover shotguns for times when you need to get up and personal. 

I question synaptic boosters 2 for this character.  Its incredibly expensive, you are not really that short on essence, and there are many other things you could grab that would give you bonuses.  Some levels of Muscle Toner will increase your agility.  Some levels of synthacardium will bonus your athletics skills, and thus your gymnastics and your ability to dodge.  I would either drop boosters to level one or switch to wired reflexes.

The stealth skill group includes 4 different skills,  Do you want all of them?  If you do its a bargain points wise, but if all you want is some infiltration and shadowing its cheaper to buy them individually. 

Jaffer

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-15-11/2115:23> »
Name: Irving Fisher
Metatype: Human

Stats:
Body: 4
Agility: 5 (7)
Reaction: 5 (7)
Strength: 3
Charisma: 2
Intuition: 3
Logic: 3
Willpower: 3

Edge: 6
Essence: 4

Qualities:
Positive:
Ambidextrous
Blandness
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( +1 to called shots to disarm )
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( Ready a weapon as a free action )
Martial Arts: Krav Maga ( -1 to the negative for shooting in melee )
Restricted Gear

Negative:
Combat Monster
Signature (golden bullet fired into the target, post mortem)
Sensitive System

Skills:
Athletics (1)
Disguise (Camoflague +2) (2)
Infiltration (2)
Perception (1)
Longarms (Sniper Rifles) (5)
Unarmed (Martial Arts: Krav Maga) (5)
Pistols (3)
Automatics (1)
Armorer (Firearms) (2)

Knowledge: Black Markets (Weapons) (3)
Knowledge: Fancy Restaurants (1)
Knowledge: Firearms (3)
Knowledge: Military (Special Forces) (3)
Knowledge: Safe Houses (Runner Houses) (3)
Knowledge: Security Procedures (2)

Language: English (N)

Augmentation: (All bioware)
Synaptic Booster (2)
Digestive Expansion
Muscle Toner (2)
Nictitating Membrane

Comlink:
Model: Renraku Sensei

Fake SIN:
SIN 5
SIN 4
SIN 3

Weapons:
Ranger Arms SM-4 (Inbuilt Smart System, Bipod)
Ares Light Fire 70 (Silencer)

Armor:
Ulysses Line
Form Fitting Armor (Half Body Suit)

Gear:
Monocle (Visor style) (Smartlink, Vision Enhancement (3))
Ghillie suit (Urban)
Ghillie suit (Bush)
Backpack

Regular rounds
subsonic rounds
Gold rounds
Spare clips

Shop (Armorer)

Contacts:
Loyalty 1 / Connections 3 - Contract provider
Loyalty 3 / Connections 1 - Computer Expert / Hacker

Lifestyle: High

Bio:
Former Scout/Sniper.
Started contracting after the crash.

Combat style:
Will wait for multiple days to make the shot.
Will pack up and try to blend into the crowd or bush after the shot.
Doesn't try to attract attention.

Krav Maga is used to disarm opponents, maybe even use their own weapon against them.

Bit of a recluse / hermit - does not talk much or get on with people.
When talking 'shop' the character becomes a bit more involved

-------------------------
Changes:
Removed several qualities to tone it down and bring it under to 35bp cap.

Removed the car
removed pilot ground vehicle
removed first aid
changed stealth to disgise and infiltration

No Cyberware, but several more Bioware mods added.

Removed the "Where's the 'any' key" trait from the character.
Removed Uncouth so they can work in a social context.

Thankyou to Chrona and Baronspam for your help so far.

Any ideas or sugestions are welcome.
« Last Edit: <07-17-11/0107:55> by Jaffer »

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #6 on: <07-16-11/0151:37> »
It's hard to be ex-special forces but barely be able to turn a commlink on

Not barely able.  Completely unable. 
Mentally incompetent and unable to even follow directions should someone explain it to him point by point.

If you want a quality that would make the character a loner without making him autistic, try compulsive.
He could have compulsive avoidance of social situations.  That's probably worth 5-10 bp.

It's also worth mentioning that sniping is a very niche role which basically consists of waiting outside while everyone else goes on a shadowrun.
« Last Edit: <07-16-11/0157:39> by Kontact »

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #7 on: <07-16-11/0749:09> »
Just a couple things that caught my eye. 

Combat Monster does not jive well with the patient hunter, wait days for a shot, thing you got going on, neither does the sig: golden bullet in your vic.  You Hulk out in a firefight, or from a sniper perch, and when the bad guys are down switch in your golden ammo for some Willy Wonka golden ticket satisfaction and/or advertising.

Spec War guys are more likely to have Flashbacks unless you are absolutely married to Combat Monster and were bounced out of the Mossad for it.  Snipers work in pairs and you could have Flashbacks at losing your buddy, and could be why your not in cammies today.  Also whoever you worked for will have Records on File for you.  That is probably where your contact comes from, doing work as a deniable asset off their books.  (Assuming you were going Isreali, Irviing Fisher/Krav Maga, but no lang skill for it so I might be off base there)

Your character is a great distance shot and great up close which is a quandry.  Sniper you will want to max infiltration.  As infil/exfil is the balance of your job, along with navigation and survival.  Up close combat is not a main driver for a sniper.  Nothing wrong with being able to tussle but you should have all your sniper skills rocking first (you could have learned the hand to hand first of course but you look kinda like a Isreali Def Force guy and getting that good cracking skulls they would keep you doing that and teaching that before sending you to work a scope).  Also you should make a knowledge skill Sniper tactics, knowledge skill of your Spec War Grp, Sniper math (Geometry plus wind/temp variables plus your guns variables equals Gallagher moment) which is a must for LONG up to a mile shots, and maybe some Gunsmithing as shooters love to tinker with their weapons.  Watch the Mark Wahlburg movie Shooter and it will cover everything you will want to do in game. 

Sorry I ramble a bit.  See if anything I said is applicable to what you want and I can go on at length from there.  I have gamed with some military guys and they get pasionate about details.

One last point, with your tweaked reaction and hand to hand you may want to switch to more a Commando but watch Shooter first it is a limited but playable character.  Its a little easier to play a ghost in Shadowrun but Infil/Exfil will still be really high, athletics, repel, and most are paratroopers.  You could get many meat skill sets as a SWAT cop.  They do not learn survival, navigation, paratrooping, and have great expertise in the city, criminal organizations, street ett, and understanding of police procedures and communication.  Somewhat useful in game.

Sorry I just noticed that you had Armorer, gunsmithing thing covered.  You also had the Spec War Grp covered but you didn't specify which one.  Which is kinda a big deal but you got points on it.
« Last Edit: <07-16-11/0754:46> by John Shull »
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-16-11/1430:22> »
Be sure to run the sensitive system flaw past your GM first.  It is a flaw because it curtails your options, but some GMs still have a dislike for characters who have this flaw without any cyberware.  Now me, I think it's fine as a flaw, given how incredibly cheap cyberware is in comparison for some things such as initiative boosters.  But I'm mentioning it because a thread on Dumpshock is still fresh in my mind, where the concept of a character with sensitive system and no cyberware seemed to draw the ire of numerous GMs.  I think John was pretty much spot on about the other flaws, and he offered some alternatives that would fit your overall concept better.

On a piddly, technical note: if you use external technological aids for a smartlink, they need to include the image link to work (no biggie, a whopping 25 Nuyen).  Also, consider getting the skinlink modification for both your monocle and your guns (they have it where they talk about commlink accessories, but other devices can use it).  Nothing worse than a hacker hacking your gun to turn the safety on or make it eject the clip in the middle of a firefight.

Seeker

• Newb
  • But it's WRONG!
« Reply #9 on: <07-16-11/1728:39> »
Be sure to run the sensitive system flaw past your GM first.  It is a flaw because it curtails your options, but some GMs still have a dislike for characters who have this flaw without any cyberware.  Now me, I think it's fine as a flaw, given how incredibly cheap cyberware is in comparison for some things such as initiative boosters.  But I'm mentioning it because a thread on Dumpshock is still fresh in my mind, where the concept of a character with sensitive system and no cyberware seemed to draw the ire of numerous GMs.  I think John was pretty much spot on about the other flaws, and he offered some alternatives that would fit your overall concept better.

Yeah, I'm of that little bandwagon.  I grew tired of adepts, and magicians taking it.  I suppose my argument is pretty much the same, except that it is a flaw, and thus needs to have more impact than "I'll never take Cyberware!"  Fine for augmented characters as it effectively removes one option from gameplay, but magic users have already removed the option from gameplay, and are basically getting Adept/Mystic Adept as a 10 point Negative Quality, or Magician for free.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #10 on: <07-16-11/1807:17> »
I can't disagree more adamantly with the direction of the last couple of posts.

"I don't like how a natural combination of positive and negative qualities work together"

"So make a houserule against intelligent character optimization"

That's like saying I don't like how ECCM works with satellite uplinks, make a houserule banning satellite uplinks for any character with ECCM; or I don't like how adrenaline surge works with low initiative, make a houserule ruining adrenaline surge; or I don't like how infirm isn't a real penalty for a rigger, so why should riggers get 20 free BP.

It's flawed thinking.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Jaffer

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <07-16-11/1820:30> »
Thankyou for the ideas John Shull.

I actually based the character off the character from Shooter, with a bit of Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell thrown in.

I agree in Combat monster, and I'll probably remove it.
I don't need to keep the golden bullet, but I thought it would be fun to play it out in character.
"You kill him, but his body falls under the lip of the building, to get the bullet, you're going over there..."

Instead of flashbacks on lossing my partner, make an enemy and have my partner have betrayed me.
It explains my choice to go solo, and grants the GM a counter sniper to cause me grief.

Thanks to everyone's help, the character is reaching the number juggling phase.  Thankyou everyone for your help.

Seeker

• Newb
  • But it's WRONG!
« Reply #12 on: <07-16-11/1830:33> »
It's flawed thinking.

There's a pun here somewhere...

I'm only against taking Sensitive System as an Awakened character for one reason.  That reason is, is that every flaw is just screaming to be taken advantage of at some point.

Except Sensitive System.  Why?  Because, you implant a Mage with anything against his will (even before this flaw) you are demolishing a large part of his character.  Most GM's are (rightfully so) unwilling to do this, because it undermines the relationship between the GM and his characters.  You are punishing someone, at this point.  Doesn't matter if it makes sense, either.

So taking Sensitive System to me, is like giving candy to a baby and then someone goading you to take it.  And you don't want to, because even though it's candy, you'll still make the baby cry.

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« Reply #13 on: <07-16-11/1837:04> »
It's no different from taking uneducated and getting all of your professional, academic, and technical skill (leg)work done by contacts and other party members.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Seeker

• Newb
  • But it's WRONG!
« Reply #14 on: <07-16-11/1850:30> »
It's no different from taking uneducated and getting all of your professional, academic, and technical skill (leg)work done by contacts and other party members.

Uneducated is a 20 point flaw.  At this exact point, you have a character who does not know things that may be necessary for his everyday life as a runner.  It is different because with this flaw, he depends on other people.  In its nature, it is a flaw that has repercussions.

Sensitive System is a 15 point flaw.  At this exact point, you have a mage who can still demolish you and has absolutely zero negative effects, unless you fundamentally screw over his character and permanently reduce his Magic stat.

Also,

Joe Uneducated considers it a roleplaying opportunity when you take advantage of his flaw.

Joe Sensitive (snicker) considers you no longer a friend when you take advantage of his.
--

I understand that there are millions of ways to game the system.  But, some of those ways a GM can actually take advantage of.  Sensitive System, in my honest opinion, not suitable for Awakened Characters (unless a cybered adept who has actually taken cyberware) in the same way that one would not allow that same Mage to take Codeblock (Hacking).

Shoot, I'd even just take this as a victory.
Sensitive System (-15)
Sensitive System (-5 if Awakened)

Edit:  Fixed some spelling errors.

Register