NEWS

Discovered more availability dissonance between a weapon and it's ammo

• 46 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« on: <02-02-13/0300:13> »
In the spirit of the head-scratching legality/availability of High-powered ammo when compared to the guns that fire them, I've found another odd gun-ammo pairing that I don't think has been errata'd yet either that people might want to watch out for:
Both items are from Arsenal:
Ares Screech Sonic Beam Rifle availability: 16 (pg. 39, 41)
Power Clip to run it: 14F  (pg. 36)
Don't even need a license for the gun, but you better watch your back if they catch you with the battery for it~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: <02-02-13/0455:05> »
Why doesn't it use regular battery packs, or plug in like everything else?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Reiper

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-02-13/0509:13> »
Yeah thats gotta be a typo, (obviously).
Talk
Thoughts
Astral
Matrix
"Hello, my name is Johnson, I would like to introduce you to my associates, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Johnson, and Mrs. Johnson."

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #3 on: <02-02-13/0523:52> »
IIRC there are several weapons that come with the 'high powered chambering' mod which are chargen legal and not even forbidden. High powered ammo was 20F though...
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #4 on: <02-02-13/0637:11> »
Yeah friggen right, I dunno who's responsible for these inconsistencies, but I hope they see us pointing them out constantly on the forums.

Just set regular ammo to be 10-20% more expensive than it regularly is in your group (For instance I charge 20% normal for ammo, so it'd be 30%), and call it high powered ammo. As for battery for this thing, just use the regular power packs and set their availability to restricted, or plug it into a car.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-02-13/0733:11> »
IIRC there are several weapons that come with the 'high powered chambering' mod which are chargen legal and not even forbidden. High powered ammo was 20F though...
Most hilarious part is that one of them is called a "semi-legal assault cannon" in the shadow talk.

Simplest house rule fix is to just change the guns from R to F.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <02-02-13/0805:02> »
No need to change the availabilities. Afterall, without ammo, a gun is just a fancy club. Make it hard to get ammo outside of legitimate, SIN-tracking methods, and even if the gun is easy enough to get hold of, you won't find people going crazy with the trigger against you. Meanwhile, if you make the ammo, you can always toss in a few clips as part of the deal when working with runners.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-02-13/1046:15> »
Make it hard to get ammo outside of legitimate, SIN-tracking methods
You might want to look up what availability "F" means...

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-02-13/1252:17> »
It means "if the police catch you with it, they shoot first and ask questions later", it doesn't mean "this can't be found". I think Mirikon's point still stands - similar sentiments have been proposed in Europe and NA in relation to gun control, and think tanks have estimated that it would significantly cut down on firearm violence because it would force people to think differently about how they use what they have. Whether reality would bear this up is unknown, because I can't find a place that's actually tried "bullet control", but take it for what you will.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-02-13/1255:26> »
Honestly, I hope that in the new edition, they determine the availabilities of the ammunition for special weapons (rocket launchers, lasers, that sonic thing) by taking the weapon availability and subtracting something in the range of 1-3, while using the same 'legality' as the base weapon.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <02-02-13/1306:23> »
I think Mirikon's point still stands
Mirikon's assumption was that such ammo is hard to come by "outside of legitimate, SIN-tracking methods". The reality is that anything with an F rating is illegal for private possession, SIN checks or not.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-02-13/1311:35> »
Mirikon's assumption was that such ammo is hard to come by "outside of legitimate, SIN-tracking methods". The reality is that anything with an F rating is illegal for private possession, SIN checks or not.
Yes, private possession. I never mentioned anything about private, corporate, police, or military possession, did I?

My Characters

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-02-13/1328:56> »
Yes, private possession. I never mentioned anything about private, corporate, police, or military possession, did I?

That still doesn't explain why the Gun(s) are perfectly legal to own, but the bullets aren't.  What are you supposed to do, hang them on your wall?!
Also, as has been stated before, High Powered ammo isn't anything special or unique; they're just magnum rounds, and even in this day and age you can get them out of the same cabinet at Walmart as all the other ammo.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-02-13/1341:09> »
That still doesn't explain why the Gun(s) are perfectly legal to own, but the bullets aren't.  What are you supposed to do, hang them on your wall?!
Yes.

My Characters

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #14 on: <02-02-13/1629:55> »
Please, go educate yourselves on how expensive and "Restricted" ammo really is. If you already know this fine, but perspective never killed anyone.