NEWS

Weapon Focus for Unarmed Combat?

• 45 Replies

valavaern

• Chummer
« on: <08-10-12/2058:33> »
I've been playing around making a hypothetical character, and have been thinking of ways that I could apply a weapon focus to unarmed attacks.

I COULD just turn hardliner gloves in a focus... but that precludes using a large amount of the martial arts maneuver (like kick attack, for example)
So I was thinking something along the lines of a set of matching bracelets and anklets... or even using something similar to quickening materials to place the enchantment on some boneblack, and then use that to make intricate tattoos over the character's arms & legs.
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-10-12/2143:23> »
I guess my question would be, why? I mean sure you'd get some extra dice, but presuming your an adept (a presumption I realize) why not just grab killing hands and call it a day.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-10-12/2149:04> »
I guess my question would be, why? I mean sure you'd get some extra dice, but presuming your an adept (a presumption I realize) why not just grab killing hands and call it a day.

Killing Hands just makes it (P) damage, Critical Strike increases the DV, Penetrating Strike increases the AP... weapon foci add to the dice pool for using the weapon (attack rolls, parry rolls...)~
~~~~~
"Only two things matter: Force in as great a concentration as you can manage, and style. And in a pinch, style can slide." - Xykon
~~~~~

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-10-12/2152:23> »
Yes i'm aware, but your missing the point. Unless you have money and karma to burn weapons foci are actually rather terrible sources of bonus dice. The biggest plus to them is they make non magic weapons able to hurt spirits/astral stuff. The bonus dice are really kind of meh compared to some other cheaper sources and the foci can theoretically be taken away from you.

"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

_Pax_

« Reply #4 on: <08-10-12/2213:35> »
Hardliner Gloves would work.

I believe Brass Knuckles would, too.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #5 on: <08-10-12/2304:45> »
Rings, baby.  Not just for magicians any longer!

Pimp Slap with a Weapon Focus!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-12/2316:54> »
A focus has to be a physical item. About the only way I can think of to have your kicks be helped by a weapon focus is to enchant your shoes or cyberleg.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TheFinish

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <08-11-12/0010:12> »
Why not ask your GM to allow Hardliner Gloves to be taken as footwear, like some sort of armored or hobnailed boots?

If not the only other thing I can think of is Goblin Stompers, but those things suck.
"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind"

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #8 on: <08-11-12/0015:27> »
But wont he need four weapon foci?  Presumably at the same level and all bound?

For both hands and feet?  Seems expensive (or just one hand and one foot, but you will need to favour one side and that should be a pretty big weakness against another expert).
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

TheFinish

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-11-12/0018:58> »
Well, I always thought those things came in pairs, but I couldn't find anything RAW to confirm that, so I'm guessing you're right.

I think killing hands is looking like the better deal now...
"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind"

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #10 on: <08-11-12/0057:54> »

Killing Hands just makes it (P) damage, Critical Strike increases the DV, Penetrating Strike increases the AP... weapon foci add to the dice pool for using the weapon (attack rolls, parry rolls...)~

Emphasis mine, of course.

I must say that Elemental Strike seems like a much better option; better AP (-3 vs -1/2 w/Element Effect) for less cost (.75 vs .5), at the cost of lacking in subtlety. Of course, "subtle" isn't really on the menu to begin with when you're hitting people hard enough to punch their heart out through their rib-cage.

But, to stay on topic, I think that perhaps a set of Full Body Formfit would work. It specifically includes coverage of the whole body, including hands, feet, and head, so you're covered for everything from kicks to headbutts.
« Last Edit: <08-11-12/0101:43> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <08-11-12/0151:51> »
I must say that Elemental Strike seems like a much better option; better AP (-3 vs -1/2 w/Element Effect) for less cost (.75 vs .5), at the cost of lacking in subtlety. Of course, "subtle" isn't really on the menu to begin with when you're hitting people hard enough to punch their heart out through their rib-cage.
Oh yeah, with it's current mechanics, penetrating strike is utterly worthless; I was just going down the list~

On the slight tangent of elemental strike... the 'Blast' element adds it's Force to the damage for determining knockdown... but what would the 'Force' of an elemental strike be... the unarmed damage?

But, to stay on topic, I think that perhaps a set of Full Body Formfit would work. It specifically includes coverage of the whole body, including hands, feet, and head, so you're covered for everything from kicks to headbutts.
*makes the wavy-hand motion* Eh, ~could~ work, I suppose...
~~~~~
~~~~~

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #12 on: <08-11-12/0201:20> »
Oh yeah, with it's current mechanics, penetrating strike is utterly worthless; I was just going down the list~

On the slight tangent of elemental strike... the 'Blast' element adds it's Force to the damage for determining knockdown... but what would the 'Force' of an elemental strike be... the unarmed damage?

Yeah, I would assume that the "raw" DV of the attack (i.e. before Net Hits, Called Shots, other modifiers) of the attack would be the Force, since Force = "raw" DV for combat spells.

*makes the wavy-hand motion* Eh, ~could~ work, I suppose...

Yeah, it's cheesy as heck, but it's technically legal.

I, personally, would fluff it out as special, ritually crafted "Magical Ninja Armor," which just happens to mimic the price and functionality of Full-FFBA, to make it sit better with myself.
« Last Edit: <08-11-12/0252:21> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

valavaern

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <08-11-12/0211:41> »
Yeah, it's cheesy as heck, but it's technically legal.

I, personally, would fluff it out as special, ritually crafted "Magical Ninja Armor," which just happens to mimic the price and functionality of Full-FFBA, to make it sit better with myself.
If I went that way, I probably would to... Hmm, there really should be a 'custom look' option for armor & clothing like there is for weapons...
~~~~~
~~~~~

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-11-12/0302:42> »
Huh. Hadn't thought of that before. I guess that would work, assuming that the whole suit could be considered a single item. And since there are melee weapons that can be disassembled, and no rule against turning them into a weapon focus, I guess it could be. And if you can enchant some high-tech nanomaterial weapon like a Memory Blade into a focus, then a suit of ballistic fibers isn't such a stretch.

Good idea. I'll have to remember that one.

Honestly, between Killing Hands (to overcome ITNW), Critical Strike (one extra damage is work three extra dice on attack, on average) and Improved Ability (which grants extra dice), and the Martial Arts stuff, Unarmed Combat adepts can do pretty well without weapon foci.