NEWS

Machine sprites in a gun

• 38 Replies

Eye Eternal

• Chummer
  • So say we all...
« on: <06-20-12/1708:26> »
I have read in at least 2 posts that you can stick machine sprites into a gun (smartgun capable only it seems) to gain bonus to shooting people. Is this indeed fact? How long will it function as such? Dont registered sprites only function for like 8 hours per task. A bound sprite would be best then id assume. How exactly does it work out, sprite makes a teamwork test and you add that many dice to your pool to shoot? What's the cap if there is one? Do you roll said test every time you shoot to check for extra dice or once and that's it forever?

Anyone else have any other tricks for sprites that might give someone a good advantage playing a technomancer that aren't super well known of? The machine sprite in smartgun was pretty serious find to me.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <06-20-12/1801:53> »
The machine sprite in the smartgun trick is a nice one that can give a technomancer or their buddy an edge in combat. It's not a game changer but it's certainly helpful. The relevant ingredients are the Diagnostics power on p. 242 of the core book. The sprite makes an assisting teamwork test with two times it's rating. Generally what I do especially at convention tables is I ask the GM when i put the sprite in the gun if I can make one roll then and have it stand for all the teamwork the sprite will do. The sprite will do a task for 8 hours which is good because an unregistered sprite will only stick around 8 hours anyway. The max number of dice you can recieve from this trick is equal to the performing character.

Now one important caveat to all this. If your using an unregistered sprite unless your keeping your icon present on the gun or other device then this is going to count as a remote service which forfeits any other services you might have from the sprite, so there's no retasking the sprite from one gun to the next without dismissing it and calling for another.

Other handy sprite tricks, normally i'm pretty dismissive of combat hacking feeling that even the lamest shot is better off shooting something to eat reaction dice (or better still directing drones to do so) however sprites are the exception to this one. In a protracted gun battle routing tacnet data to your sprite (GM's discretion on if you can do this or not) and telling it to search for, log onto, and crash the nodes of the biggest hostile you can find is a great way to rob people of smartlink/gun/tacnet bonuses. Alternatively if your not hacking someone mid combat but knowing you are going to get into combat with them hacking their cyberware (if they have it accesable from their comlink) not all will. Blinding them will typically not be really effective at my tables, they'll spend a simple action at best to reboot some devices or switch device modes on their personal eyes, but a silled enough hacker or sprite can selectively edit their input to make them miss or other things. Hackers/Technomancers are like faces and infiltrators in combat, they have to find their own opportunities and shape the battlefield, ideally before the shooting has even started.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Eye Eternal

• Chummer
  • So say we all...
« Reply #2 on: <06-20-12/1837:56> »
Ok so it can't give bonus larger than your own skill, and that adds to dice bonus on firing on the enemy for 8 hours. But what if its a bound sprite, that will stick around for 1 year, then is it pretty safe to assume the bonus will be present indefinatly then?

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <06-20-12/1944:51> »
Your thinking of something different. A bound sprite will still only do 8 hours per service. There's another sprite action called linking where you pay an amount of Karma equal to it's rating where it will perform a task for 256 days. I'm not sure the significance of that number unless they were going for a RAM reference or something. The sprite will no longer cast against your bound sprite limit. I'm not sure if the karma expenditure is worth it for the technomancer themselves but if you want to show your street sam buddy how much you appreciate them getting shot on your behalf all the time you might do this for them as a favor. Personally in this case i'd ask if i could either roll once and record it or ask the if the sprite could buy hits (so a guaranteed always bonus without rolling everytime) rating 6 sprite = 6 karma = 12 dice = 3 hits bought. Not bad, not great either.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

Thrass

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <06-21-12/0423:46> »
256 = 2^8 (that's why RAM once came in this sizes)
basically it's just a ... magic has it's cool one year and one day stuff so we go for some nerdy value too what's about one year... ah 2^8 let's go for it
Speech - Thought - Matrix
Characters: Andy - Andys rolls

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <06-21-12/0534:23> »
Don't forget the fun of binding a Machine Sprite into a Smartgun and throwing the gun into a room with instructions to have the
Sprite fire the gun at a certain point...and other such fun things...

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #6 on: <06-21-12/1022:47> »
Don't forget the fun of binding a Machine Sprite into a Smartgun and throwing the gun into a room with instructions to have the
Sprite fire the gun at a certain point...and other such fun things...
If the gun couldn't move on its own before, the sprite can't make it move. You also need a propulsion system, one that supplies the speed and accuracy you need for aiming and shooting.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #7 on: <06-21-12/1109:29> »
Step 1: Place Sprite in Machine Gun
Step 2: throw gun in room
Step 3: Spinning bullet tornado

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <06-21-12/1114:26> »
Step 1: Place Sprite in Machine Gun
Step 2: throw gun in room
Step 3: Spinning bullet tornado
But for that you don't need a sprite. You can look through the guns camera and shoot with smartlink and wireless.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <06-21-12/1125:52> »
More to the point, you'll have no control over the aim, and the odds of the random movement of the gun in flight happening to line up a decent shot are slim. It wouldn't be a very effective idea.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <06-21-12/1127:24> »
That's,why you wait til it's on the floor and full-auto everything with feet :D

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <06-21-12/1148:33> »
The rotating full auto weapon could be handled like suppression. Everyone who fails their reaction+edge roll gets hit.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <06-21-12/1206:55> »
Also the full auto fire on an un braced weapon whould quickly send it skidding into a corner, or worse potentially send the muzzle pointing back idea. It is, frankly, kind of a stupid idea. A team mate of mine did that they might have a friendly fire accident.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #13 on: <06-21-12/1208:49> »
Also the full auto fire on an un braced weapon whould quickly send it skidding into a corner, or worse potentially send the muzzle pointing back idea. It is, frankly, kind of a stupid idea. A team mate of mine did that they might have a friendly fire accident.

Which just means that the teammates have to roll to avoid the Suppression Zone as well. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <06-21-12/1217:22> »
It is, frankly, kind of a stupid idea. A team mate of mine did that they might have a friendly fire accident.

Only if their dumb enough to run into a room with an uncontrolled machine gun skidding around in it. Sure it won't kill anybody, but it's a hell of a distraction.