NEWS

Machine sprites in a gun

• 38 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-21-12/1229:28> »
The version where you upgrade your gun with Propulsion (Walking) and Pilot System 1 is pretty pro, though. Now a machine sprite can hop around and aim, and machine sprites don't care about how crappy the drone's Pilot/Response ratings are.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #17 on: <06-21-12/1246:05> »
The version where you upgrade your gun with Propulsion (Walking) and Pilot System 1 is pretty pro, though. Now a machine sprite can hop around and aim, and machine sprites don't care about how crappy the drone's Pilot/Response ratings are.
Or skip to Propulsion (Flying) and pretend to be Chris Evans, in Push!

...only less awesome, unless you're also a Magician with cool TK spells.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <06-21-12/1408:26> »
Well finally a use for the safe target system....

Grab some small high ammo capacity SMG/AR/MP...   toss a bunch of them into a room... and then set off their smartgun electronic triggers all at once... they spray bullets in every direction but that of your teammates.

Smart grenades!

Definite house rule territory (it's not a 20  bullets covering a 10m wide cone of fire!)

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <06-21-12/1456:02> »
I honestly think you guys vastly overestimate the ability of the system to fire with anything even resembling accuracy with a gun being tossed into a room. The various locomotion stuff sort of works but to assume that even with safe targeting the systems going to hit anyone or even suppresss anyone is silly, but whatever you can sell your GM on.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <06-21-12/1504:54> »
Who said anything about aiming lurker!

Merely tossing a gun with an electronic safety that can't shoot in the direction of allies and having it spray bullets in random directions.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <06-21-12/1515:38> »
Again, lets look logically at what you accomplish. I'm too lazy to do the math on it but lets presume for amusement that the gun has some recoil (indeed even the best recoil compensation system presumes the gun is being stocked or held). Gun gets thrown in, shots go off as it's falling maybe as it twists towards the door. Depending ont the dragons it it might fire at some of the room before it spins around towards the door, safe targeting system detects friendly targets locks the gun, no longer fires, recoil stops, if the gun is at rest on the floor the gun stops. Bad guys return fire in direction of the doorway.

If you have the option to throw a machine gun with machine sprite in it your better off throwing a grenade at least then you can hurt everyone.

"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <06-21-12/1529:31> »
Lurker you have sprites on the brain... the point isn't to use a sprite silly or just use the sprite to pull the trigger and keep it held... the sprite provides no mechanical benefit.  (you can already do this with just the smartlink electronically).

Recoil comp?!  You wouldn't want recoil comp.. the point is the gun jumps every which way at random and never stops moving... if it points in the direction of an ally it doesn't fire until it's momentum spins it past them then fires off again blindly into a wall causing it to jump again... and fire blindly again in another random direction.  IE: it fires bullets randomly in every direction except back at you.

The point is to toss the gun as a sort of LOL grenade... it's funny and unexpected... not necessarily effective.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <06-21-12/1545:00> »
I'll just say i think you kids fail physics and guns and leave it be.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #24 on: <06-21-12/1654:18> »
I'll just say i think you kids fail physics and guns and leave it be.

Have you ever seen something under high pressure pop a leak? Same principle, it spins and bounces in place because the gun isn't a symmetrical weight laying on the floor. It's not supposed to hit anybody, and it's not going to hit friendlies because a) safe target, b) you threw it in.as a distraction and then high-tailed it out of there, taking advantage of the distraction as they dodge/figure out whatvto do with the demon gun.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #25 on: <06-22-12/1126:18> »
So, gecko grip a gun to a high pressure bottle, toss it into the room, and shoot a hole into the bottle.

:)

As far as the Pilot+Mobility upgrade for the gun, why? Smart Firing Platform or the Arachne drone.

-k

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <06-22-12/1219:57> »
As far as the Pilot+Mobility upgrade for the gun, why? Smart Firing Platform or the Arachne drone.
Because a pistol with Pilot+Mobility is a minidrone, meaning it can be hidden on you with a -2 Concealability (and thus can be concealed pretty easily with Palming). Smart Firing Platform is a large, forbidden piece of equipment and it can't move around on its own. The Arachne is not a bad drone, but it's still Small, not Mini, making it GM's discretion how hideable it is (between +0 and +6).

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #27 on: <06-22-12/1248:14> »
The Arachne is not a bad drone, but it's still Small, not Mini, making it GM's discretion how hideable it is (between +0 and +6).

It does say, though, that it's smaller than most of the guns you'd put on it. So definitely smaller than a Rifle-class weapon.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <06-22-12/1427:37> »
You can mount a LMG on it, too.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <06-22-12/2021:26> »
Umaro,

Just because you ADDED equipment to a pistol... doesn't mean it's concealment goes down.  You start with a heavy pistol... the drone mod doesn't make it suddenly smaller.  That's what I mean by you suddenly grabbing onto any of the most generous readings possible and tossing out any other possible ones.  I'm pretty sure most GM's wouldn't accept that logic and just go for the largest applicable modifier off that chart.

Similarly... assault rifles have a concealment of +6... just because they become drones doesn't change that.

The drone itself has a concealment of whatever it is as a drone by itself....  once mated to a gun though the drone should have a concealment == to the size of the gun I'd say.  So an assault rifle/lmg... +6.