NEWS

Machine sprites in a gun

• 38 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <06-22-12/2134:00> »
That's why you don't start with a heavy pistol. You start with a light pistol. Then it has either -2 as a light pistol or -2 as a minidrone, so it's definitely -2. There are reasons to put it on a Machine Pistol as well, in fairness, because then it has a definite concealment of +2 and is definitely machine-pistol sized, which for Missions I prefer it to the Arachne, which has an undefined concealability of somewhere from +0 to +6 and is larger than a commlink and smaller than an LMG.

LMGs might be not concealable rather than +6, by the way (not on the list, larger than an assault rifle). Given that small drones are not actually on the Concealment Modifier table in the first place, it's a GM call anyways what concealability an Arachne with a given mounted weapon has but I don't see anyone saying it is smaller than the weapon on its own, nor did I imply that it would be.

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #31 on: <06-22-12/2209:19> »
Though drone-mounted weapons might be smaller than their human counterparts. No stock, no trigger assembly, no foregrip, parts of the weapon removed because of redundancy with the drone

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-22-12/2237:38> »
Mounting or unmounting a weapon from a mount is only 2 minutes, though.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-22-12/2244:08> »
Yeah, it's not like the old days where you'd need to modify the weapon for drone operation.

I can only surmise that drone weapon mounts are more like benchrest mounts you'd see at the gunrange/gunsmith than drone specific versions of the guns.   Take a normal gun... stuff it in a vice... and then plug it into the drone with fiber if smartgun... if not... attach solenoid to squeeze trigger.

Personally I wish they would provide a canon drone modification for weapons... then we could do things like make better sense out of weapon mounts and restirct smaller drones to only SMG's with belted ammo feeds so they can feed off the 200 rd belt capability built into the weapon mount...

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #34 on: <06-23-12/0441:29> »
The Arachne is not a bad drone, but it's still Small, not Mini, making it GM's discretion how hideable it is (between +0 and +6).
Why restrict small drones to +6? I think they are not in the list, because they don't fit in there.
I.e. the small drone GMC Sandal carrying all the packages is probably around half human tall, similar to a katana, but much more bulky. With the katana having already a +6 modifier that small drone would get at least a +10 from me.

Edit: but then drones can use their infiltration to hide (without any modifier) and don't need to be hidden under my jacket... thats what those modifiers are for.
Quote from: SR4A,p.311
To determine if someone notices a worn or carried item,
« Last Edit: <06-23-12/0444:42> by Lethe »

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <06-23-12/1035:03> »
Right - but the advantage to the drone-gun is that you can hand it to a team member with really good Palming and have them shove it up their ass, then you still have a drone. Sometimes that's more viable than having a drone try to Infiltrate. I'm not knocking the Arachne, it's a good drone and there are times when it's better than a drone-gun, but there are also times when it's worse.

Oh, huh, actually, Arsenal does have rules for the Concealability of small drones! Small drones are +4 to +6 per Arsenal 102. So, yes, I think a Machine pistol drone, which has a flat +2, might be worth it over an Arachne with a +4 to +6, especially if you want to stack it with things . I definitely think a Light Pistol drone, which has a -2, has a clear niche for a concealable way to bring a drone into places.

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <06-23-12/1215:29> »
I think that would depend Umaro....

I'd generally go with the highest applicable concealability penalty.  (I tend to take a most restrictive take on the rules... since few people are likely to dissent from them especially GM's... when you've planned for the worst, all your surprises are pleasant).

If we're talking a naked machine pistol... which only has the drone upgrade.  No manueverability to speak up just a new gun OS/pilot program.  Then yeah... but as soon as you start adding legs and movement systems now on top of the gun... you're a drone again... and should get the drone concealability.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-23-12/1850:49> »
Falconer, I think we agree about that. A pistol-drone is not small, it is mini. The arachne is small.

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <06-23-12/2208:58> »
Don't forget the fun of binding a Machine Sprite into a Smartgun and throwing the gun into a room with instructions to have the
Sprite fire the gun at a certain point...and other such fun things...
If the gun couldn't move on its own before, the sprite can't make it move. You also need a propulsion system, one that supplies the speed and accuracy you need for aiming and shooting.
Basicaly it is the pilot program upgrade for a smart gun, but without the cost of new yen same rules whould applie.