NEWS

What if . . . ?

• 80 Replies

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #15 on: <03-12-12/1425:09> »
If done right??? Making the Watergate rift took someone with the arcane knowledge of a great dragon, a nuke, and Ghost knows what else! And then it sucked people in all around it. When Ghostwalker came through, all those spirits that came rushing out after him? Shedim, chummer. And it took four powerful artifacts and a great dragon's arcane knowledge to shut the thing down, and if Aina hadn't sacrificed herself it would have likely blown up DeeCee.

Never said it was an exact science  8) I can see gates that only link major power sites, like say from Stonehenge to Hiroshima. Then its not teleportation because you're riding the ley lines on Astral form to your destination

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #16 on: <03-12-12/2015:00> »
I want a stun knife like in Metal Gear Solid 4.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-12-12/2017:21> »
If done right??? Making the Watergate rift took someone with the arcane knowledge of a great dragon, a nuke, and Ghost knows what else! And then it sucked people in all around it. When Ghostwalker came through, all those spirits that came rushing out after him? Shedim, chummer. And it took four powerful artifacts and a great dragon's arcane knowledge to shut the thing down, and if Aina hadn't sacrificed herself it would have likely blown up DeeCee.

Never said it was an exact science  8) I can see gates that only link major power sites, like say from Stonehenge to Hiroshima. Then its not teleportation because you're riding the ley lines on Astral form to your destination

Maybe one of these days I should sit down and write out my version of this so that people can see that it wouldn't be that bad, and that it would more than likely be better to travel normally unless time was a REALLY big factor in the matter.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
  • Just a simple man trying to not get eaten by Lofyr
« Reply #18 on: <03-12-12/2149:43> »
This thread (which may be a duplicate) is for folks to propose a concept/gear/area and theorise about how it fits in to the larger Sixth World.

My lead-in:  suppose someone comes up with a particularly effective Banish ritual - which could help vs shedim and Insect Flesh Forms - and releases the ritual formula, requirements and other details as open source?

What you have is the making of a cool campaign.  You could have a segway for magical groups (either altruistic ones like The Auric Aurora or mercenary ones like Unit 13) trying to either protect or brain rape the designer before he goes public to keep his info or see what else he has.  Instant hook for all characters, not just magicians and adepts but also your sammys and riggers. 

And of course you could have a nasty master shedim or insect cult as an ongoing great villain, trying to stop publication, stamp out copies, etc.

I had a character idea for a combat mage who had the Tamanous as an enemy for a plot point.  Part of the arc would have been his quest to find out about the organization and getting drawn (along with his team) into danger.  In this case, you sort of reverse: the characters are on the defensive (or offenses as the best defense) and have to fend off endless baddies.

Oh, just a thought.  Tamanous has always been tied to ghouls and wendigo but sheddim would work as the power there right? 

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #19 on: <03-12-12/2231:38> »
I don't think Shedim would get in bed with Tamanous. Tamanous cuts up the dead bodies to distribute. Shedim live in them.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

WellSpokenRunner

• Newb
  • Just a simple man trying to not get eaten by Lofyr
« Reply #20 on: <03-13-12/0004:43> »
I don't think Shedim would get in bed with Tamanous. Tamanous cuts up the dead bodies to distribute. Shedim live in them.

But just as a way to get bodies?  Since graveyards and morgues are now protected, wouldn't having control of an organization like Tamanous allow them access to bodies before they were cut up?  Then the shedim would get to chose the best ones (maybe the master gets the best bodies and the crap ones go to the lesser shedim) and then sell the rest for parts to fund the organization.

Actually do they need bodies with a full set of organs?  If the Tamanous took out the valuable bits (like the heart, liver, etc) and left the general limbs and torso more or less in one piece (or even sewn up) couldn't a shedim still possess it? 

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #21 on: <03-13-12/0104:38> »
Actually do they need bodies with a full set of organs?  If the Tamanous took out the valuable bits (like the heart, liver, etc) and left the general limbs and torso more or less in one piece (or even sewn up) couldn't a shedim still possess it?

I don't know, off the top of my head, but I'd say GM Fiat could make it "Yes" without arcing too many eyebrows. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-13-12/0431:57> »
Runner, you forget that the internal organs aren't the only valuable bits of a human body. Ghouls, Wendigos, and others eat the flesh. Bones, skin, and muscle can also be transplanted, especially in less well off areas where synthetic copies are hard to come by. By the time Tamanous is done with a corpse, while a Shedim could possess it, they wouldn't be happy since it would be unable to actually do anything in that lump of medical waste.

And just because cemeteries are protected does not mean Shedim need any help finding bodies to live in. The morgues are always full of bodies, and there are plenty that never make it to the morgue. If anything, I'd think that Tamanous would be against having the Shedim around, because they steal potential profits from them.

My Characters

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #23 on: <03-13-12/0440:11> »
Eyes. Tamanous doesnt need 'em, Shedim want 'em

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-13-12/0447:33> »
Eyes. Tamanous doesnt need 'em, Shedim want 'em
Actually, you can implant eyes too, especially if cyber is too expensive. But what would a shedim do with a single eyeball? They can only inhabit one form at a time.

But moreover, while there are plenty of reasons that Shedim may be interested in Tamanous, I don't see any reasons why Tamanous would be interested in Shedim, barring extraordinary circumstances.
« Last Edit: <03-13-12/0449:27> by Mirikon »

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-13-12/0732:27> »
I think it would be awesome if Tanamous and the Shedim were fighting against each other.  I mean which side would you pick?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #26 on: <03-13-12/0840:35> »
I think it would be awesome if Tanamous and the Shedim were fighting against each other.  I mean which side would you pick?

Shedim. Why? Because that means, after I die, I might just be the host of the one that starts a full-blown Zombie Apocalypse. ;D
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

chinlamp

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <03-13-12/0958:29> »
Back to the original topic (not that the current line of thought isn't fascinating, but I don't think I can add to it), let's see what I can come up with.

Further evolution of nanotech.  What we've got now is internal nanotech.  I want to see external nanotech (similar to what you get with Generator Rex, just not nearly as overpowered or laws of physics violating (seriously, turning your human arms into giant robot fists?  The hell?))

I wonder what would happen if someone planted a nuke on a leyline nexus.  For the sake of an example, let's say Stonehenge, AND, for the sake of argument, let's say the bomb DID detonate.  What do you think would happen to every leyline connected to it?  What do you think the massive explosion would do to the structure?  And most importantly, what would the subsequent background count be like when located at a site so saturated with magic?

I honestly can't think of anything more interesting than those two questions right now.  That's... disappointing.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #28 on: <03-13-12/1459:19> »
What if the rumors of Horizon experimenting with deconstructor nanites is true and a terrorist organization hires the runners to steal the plans to use to deconstruct entire cities, and also extract the lead scientist on the team? Then the runners discover just what they are stealing and what it can do, and the scientist tries to dissuade them from finishing the job. Is the money worth giving such power into the Johnson's hands, not knowing their plans?

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #29 on: <03-13-12/1500:49> »
What if a dragon got itself possessed by an insect queen spirit or even a Master Shedim?