NEWS

Pistons?

• 41 Replies

jonathanc

• Omae
  • All cruelty springs from weakness.
« on: <10-27-11/1437:04> »
I recently picked up Street Legends, and the section on Haze suddenly caused me to take notice of Pistons. I know he/she has been all over the books for a while, but I guess I just hadn't noticed before. What is the deal with Pistons? A hacker, I know, but what gender/metatype? What  background? I mean, if freaking Haze gets to be a Street Legend, why not get some info out on Pistons?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <10-27-11/1452:30> »
Pistons is a DeeCee-area hacker and datahaven expert. She gets stats in Artifacts Unbound, page 126,  based on the Corporate Headhunter in Runner's Companion, 136. She is a human woman.

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-27-11/1500:09> »
Thanks for the info!

I find it interesting when the shadowtalk actually forms a little narrative of its own...though I was a little confused to see Riser white-knighting for Haze considering how he's portrayed in "Anatomy of a Shadowrun".

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <10-27-11/1510:13> »
Pistons is a female hacker, I believe human. She's also the aunt of /dev/grrl, I believe.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <10-27-11/1552:12> »
Pistons is a female hacker, I believe human. She's also the aunt of /dev/grrl, I believe.
I don't think it's a blood relation, though. (Although that's just my opinion.)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <10-28-11/0340:02> »
To me, she is and always will be Elissa Carey's character over on Shadowland bbs...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #6 on: <10-28-11/1307:57> »
The Character of Pistons is Male.

Elissa Rich (Formerly Elissa Carey) was a freelancer and Pistons' creator and player.  Elissa is, of course, female.

Like me, Elissa used her character name as her online handle.  This leads to confusion at times.

And someday, I'd like to drag Elissa back long enough to do a full Street Legends style write up. :)

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-28-11/1320:43> »

Elissa Rich (Formerly Elissa Carey) was a freelancer and Pistons' creator and player.  Elissa is, of course, female.

Like me, Elissa used her character name as her online handle.  This leads to confusion at times.

And someday, I'd like to drag Elissa back long enough to do a full Street Legends style write up. :)
Hope springs eternal. Nice writeup on Bull, btw. I know some people have complained that the characters in the book aren't useful in-game since the PCs are the 'runners, but Bull's writeup puts him in a good place to act as either a Fixer or a Johnson.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #8 on: <10-28-11/1334:47> »

Bull, I don't doubt you, but you might want to let people know:

Quote from: Attitude, p. 88
Pistons glanced at the time stamp floating near her virtual persona. Saturday, 20:29 CET. The kick-off was just about to happen. If the goddess was smiling upon her, she would not need to endure the Euroleague game between FC Bayern München and FC Barcelona for long. She longed for a beetle beer, even if it was just morning in her time zone. Must be the environment, she thought. Just as she watched the icons around her anticipating the start of the game (and hell, was it crowded here), the target manifested on his usual seat in the digital representation of Camp Nou.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <10-28-11/1338:49> »

Bull, I don't doubt you, but you might want to let people know:

Quote from: Attitude, p. 88
Pistons glanced at the time stamp floating near her virtual persona. Saturday, 20:29 CET. The kick-off was just about to happen. If the goddess was smiling upon her, she would not need to endure the Euroleague game between FC Bayern München and FC Barcelona for long. She longed for a beetle beer, even if it was just morning in her time zone. Must be the environment, she thought. Just as she watched the icons around her anticipating the start of the game (and hell, was it crowded here), the target manifested on his usual seat in the digital representation of Camp Nou.

Pistons is referred to as female throughout the SR4 fiction, in fact...

Quote from: Feral Cities, p. 126
“You know, when you said ‘Let’s go to Italy,’ I was picturing something different,” Pistons said, as she checked and re-checked her gun. “Red wine, beautiful beaches, gorgeous half-naked Italians.”
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #10 on: <10-28-11/1756:20> »
Doh.  You know what?  I was getting Pistons and Winterhawk mixed up.  Sorry, I posted that this morning before I dashed out the door, running on too littloe sleep (as usual).

Winterhawk is male, but his creator and sorta namesake is female (Though she more often goes by Rat instead of Winterhawk.  Her fiction site, though, was Winterhawk's Virtual Magespace).

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-28-11/1813:43> »
All that crap Haze was talking about going after her...does Pistons have much in the way of combat skills?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #12 on: <10-29-11/0035:26> »
She can hold her own. She's pretty handy with vehicles and drones, as I recall.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <10-29-11/1244:35> »
Depends on how pragmatic she is.  Combat can be done in many, many ways.  *Slasher Smile*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

jonathanc

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-29-11/2037:57> »
Eh, what I've seen of Haze hasn't exactly impressed me, at least not where "I'm coming to get you" is concerned. He seems like a decent grifter, but even a moderately hard case should eat him alive. Not sure if I'd put most hackers in that category though, which is why I asked.