NEWS

Terrorism in the 6th world

• 50 Replies

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« on: <09-23-11/1741:21> »
Alright people i gotta ask, how do you see terrorists acting in the 6th world, how do you see their goals shifting, ie: Al Queda and its splinter groups, or FARC, how well do you think their ideology and methods will survive?
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-23-11/1843:48> »
One terrorist group killed like 100,000 people in Munich with weaponized VITAS.

Winternight tried and came damn close to ending the world.

Shadowrun terrorists are supervillains. They are America's Worst Nightmare made real.

But as per your question, Al Qaeda was written off with like one sentence in Shadows of Asia. Following the collapse of the Alliance for Allah Invasion and the Second Euro Wars they just collapsed and disappeared. FARC? IIRC they mutated in part into the original ghost cartels along with the much, much worse ELN.
« Last Edit: <09-23-11/1846:45> by James Meiers »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <09-23-11/2132:22> »
Wouldn't AZT and Aztlan be America's Worse Nightmare made real?

They're not afraid to use the same techniques, and have done so in the past.  *Points at the man-eating trees in South America*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #3 on: <09-23-11/2145:39> »
a lot of the race/culture stuff may have shifted focus to the metahumans and perhaps some of the non-human sapients.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-24-11/0100:52> »
It's not a nightmare if it's come true.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-24-11/0236:44> »
Wouldn't AZT and Aztlan be America's Worse Nightmare made real?

They're not afraid to use the same techniques, and have done so in the past.  *Points at the man-eating trees in South America*
Amazonian propaganda. The Amazonian government is the one supporting anti-corporate and eco-terrorist groups like Greenwar and setting up terrorist training camp hidden in the jungle.

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #6 on: <09-24-11/1013:01> »
Let us not forget there's also the homebrewed terrorist groups in Shadowrun. Alamos 20K blew up the Sears Tower in Chicago killing many people and created the Shattergraves all in an attempt to pin it on Metas.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-24-11/1204:07> »
Or the Seattle Metroplex Guard that watched as the warehouses full of Metahumans and their families burned to the ground.

Probably kept the area cordoned off to prevent the fire department from responding as well, I'd bet.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-24-11/1613:14> »
20,000 (the population of Los Alamos, destroyed when SAIM popped Redondo Peak, which is where Alamos 20K gets their name) and 26,000 (Sears Tower) are not that spectacular.

Deus killed more than 90,000 people.

I was pretty pissed and argued with some fervor at the time that the effects and death toll in System Failure, as much as I dislike the whole thing, should have been much worse.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-24-11/1635:26> »
Start with something a lot of people don't seem to really grok.

In 2010 (just a year ago), roughly 25% of the world's population died.

Let me put that in a little bit of context.

From 1918 through 1920 the modern world was swept with the Spanish Flu. It's the great pandemic everyone references when talking scare tactics. Global death proportion? 3 to 5%.

The Black Plague is a better comparison. In 1400 it reduced the world population from ~450 million to between 350 and 375 million. The social, political, and economic effects were extraordinary, though on the surface nothing major seemed to happen. Just... armies were smaller, and a lot of leaders were dead, and the vast labor pool shrunk to the point labor was a semi-precious resource. Cities and dense populations became places to avoid. There was a resurgence of the meme that stranger==danger (that worked in interesting balance to the decentralization of the populations, and led to methods of verification and absentee trust).

Not to mention the explosion of snake oil salesmen and grief vampires.

Oh, and an ancillary benefit was an explosion of per capita and individual wealth merely by having what existed divided among fewer people. Between this and the increased value of labor the ground was prepped for what became the renaissance.

Frankly, when I look at how SR has run I'm surprised at how stable and calm things are overall. That may have been due to the presence of dragons, mind -- when push comes to shove, man-sized teeth tend to have a negotiating edge. It still surprises me.

I've digressed; I apologize.

The point is that when you look at the massive death rates of the preceding half-century, deaths that have been everywhere, a lot of what seems big to us turns into chicken feed.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-25-11/0118:28> »
And then another 10% or so died ten years later (I count it as 10% of the pre-VITAS population to make it a known and workable 33% death toll), just as the world was recovering. So you have something in the area of a third of the world's population dying in ten years. And, yeah, that's basically the same mortality rate as the Black Plague in Europe.
« Last Edit: <09-25-11/0121:03> by James Meiers »

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-25-11/2133:48> »
And then another 10% or so died ten years later (I count it as 10% of the pre-VITAS population to make it a known and workable 33% death toll), just as the world was recovering. So you have something in the area of a third of the world's population dying in ten years. And, yeah, that's basically the same mortality rate as the Black Plague in Europe.

Actually I'm pretty sure it was 33% of the people in Europe SURVIVED the plague... The mortality rate was something like 60%.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <09-25-11/2142:05> »

Actually I'm pretty sure it was 33% of the people in Europe SURVIVED the plague... The mortality rate was something like 60%.
Depends on whose estimates you think more valid. 1/3 to 2/3 died. A handful of places were eliminated. A very few saw the other end of the extremes - not none, but far fewer than most.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-25-11/2143:11> »
Lies, fraggin' lies, and statistics.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-26-11/1826:31> »
not to mention the average life expectancy has dropped considerablly in the SR world
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night