• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <09-30-11/0034:26> »
I loved the FLQ reference.  The scary part is that some of the old members of that terrorist organization (As far as one gets in Canada) are now Judges.

I wish I was kidding.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <09-30-11/0150:55> »
That's the problem with rehabilitation and forgiveness. Eventually they have to be put into actual use.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #34 on: <09-30-11/0236:15> »
The functional difference between terrorism and shadowrunners / agents of espionage / soldiers / freedom fighters is actually singular.  Forget how well equipped they are; forget what cause (or lack thereof) they have.  Forget who they are, what they are, where they are, and why they are.

Look at their intentional targets.

Look at the place that got firebombed.  Was it a military base?  Probably not a terrorist.  Was it a pub that off-duty Paras frequent, but that of course serves other ordinary Irishmen too?  Sounds like a terrorist.  Who are the corpses in the street?  If it's a running gun battle with security forces and the one or two dead U2Cs were between (or behind) the sec force and the team, then the team is probably shadowrunners.  If, on the other hand, there are grenades going off and cars getting blown up and an entire clip of Uzi IV ammo raking the pedestrians on the sidewalk, well, those shadowrunners are well on their way to getting defined as terrorists.

This, of course, is my main issue with loud shadowrunners, though not necessarily loud 'runs.  If the Johnson is paying for something loud, fine -- take it and do it, or walk away and look for it in the news, but it's what the Johnson is paying for, so loud it's gonna be.  If the Johnson is NOT paying for loud and flashy, then part of the cash he's giving you is for quiet and subtle, because no Johnson wants the rest of the corporate world to know that someone's been after the new MCT Hachiman-series specs before he even gets the paydata.  Get in, get out, stay quiet; the best 'run is one which only your team, your Johnson, and your Fixer (and her only if absolutely necessary) know anything has happened at all.

• Shadowrunners break into the lab, steal the virus data, and incinerate all samples of it.  Terrorists release the virus and cause a 30-block VITAS II outbreak, slaying dozens of innocents.
  • Shadowrunners blow up the building the policlub HQ is in at 3 AM after KOing the building janitor and taking him to safety.  Terrorists blow the building up at 3 PM, while the policlub offices, and all the other offices as well, are full of people.
  • Shadowrunners assassinate the soldiers by stealth and long-range sniping, taking them down one by one or two by two and vanishing after each hit or set of hits.  Terrorists remote-pilot a car loaded with a fertilizer bomb in through the soldier's favorite bar and detonate it.
Also, terrorists tend to make a claim to having done it; they WANT Public Awareness to grow for themselves and their cause.  Hell, they'll call the paper and tell them it's about to happen.  In my opinion, the very best shadowrunners want their PA to be in the negative digits, if at all possible.  You want to be Michael Madsen's character in the original Species -- where the other team members are saying, 'I'm sorry, who are you??  Never heard of you.'  Because that's the way you want it to be.  Fixers know, other 'runners know, the local consiglieri and wakagashira, and maybe a few do-Johnsoning-for-a-living Mr. Johnsons and that one cop in every precinct who knows every flippin' thing that goes on on his streets.  But you should strive to keep it shifting back and forth between 3 and 2, and IMO there should be a way to burn Street Cred to reduce Public Awareness directly, because sometimes you get PA separate from karma, Street Cred, and Notoriety ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #35 on: <09-30-11/0358:05> »

• Shadowrunners blow up the building the policlub HQ is in at 3 AM after KOing the building janitor and taking him to safety.  Terrorists blow the building up at 3 PM, while the policlub offices, and all the other offices as well, are full of people.
  • Shadowrunners assassinate the soldiers by stealth and long-range sniping, taking them down one by one or two by two and vanishing after each hit or set of hits.  Terrorists remote-pilot a car loaded with a fertilizer bomb in through the soldier's favorite bar and detonate it.
Broad rules, with exception ;) The IRA South Armagh Sniper comes to mind. Also, Corsican terrorist attacks in the last twenty years or so mostly targeted outside walls or empty buildings at night (resulting in far less casualties than their own internal feuds).

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <09-30-11/0408:05> »
9x9 is quite active in the 6th world.  They are a pro-democratic terrorist group.
Living the Electronic Dream

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #37 on: <09-30-11/0531:44> »
I always thought the difference between a terrorist and a rebel/freedom fighter was on who was reporting the news :P

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #38 on: <09-30-11/0547:11> »
Broad rules, with exception ;) The IRA South Armagh Sniper comes to mind. Also, Corsican terrorist attacks in the last twenty years or so mostly targeted outside walls or empty buildings at night (resulting in far less casualties than their own internal feuds).

Very true, though I'd be willing to debate that that particular set of IRA actions, being precise, was the work of freedom fighters who had a long-time declaration of war and resistance against the British.  I admit I don't know enough about the Corsicans to judge -- but it is true that sudden, apparently random violence for the deliberate sake of inspiring terror in order to further a political cause is an essential aspect of terrorism, no matter how many or few were killed.

And Phylos, in many ways it is.  It's more of a moral stance, though ... what will you do to further your aims?  Some people have no limits to that, and so are essentially terrorists at heart ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <09-30-11/0616:47> »
And Phylos, in many ways it is.  It's more of a moral stance, though ... what will you do to further your aims?  Some people have no limits to that, and so are essentially terrorists at heart ...

Well, it just makes them goal-rational agents, that have clearly defined their goals and have assessed their priorities and capabilities, and their desire to fulfill these goals.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #40 on: <10-01-11/0340:06> »
The functional difference between terrorism and shadowrunners / agents of espionage / soldiers / freedom fighters is actually singular.

Kidnapping
Assassination
Sabotage

There is no 2nd degree/manslaughter equivalent for these things. 
Being nice about it doesn't change the fact that these are strictly defined as acts of terrorism.

Just saying, brah.  The law don't care what you were thinking when you took the job. 
A Shadowrunner is often a terrorist for hire.

Pyromaster13

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <10-01-11/0412:17> »
2 words:

Cat Bombs.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #42 on: <10-01-11/0516:09> »

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <10-01-11/0519:38> »

Always with the Dolphins to kill the President!

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <10-01-11/0524:11> »
It wasn't inadvertantly, it was on porpose
Living the Electronic Dream