NEWS

5 ways to do Shadowrun Video Games

• 65 Replies

robert4818

• Newb
« on: <08-16-11/1409:58> »
We were all disappointed by Microsoft's attempt at Shadowrun.  Lets hope that doesn't sour the IP for a while.

That being said, here are 4 different ways of creating a Shadowrun game:

1.  FPS set in the (real) Shadowrun world.
The world of Shadowrun is, IMO, more important than the rule-set.  A single player FPS set in the world of shadowrun, telling an authentic shadowrun story could be a very good game.  This is probably the weakest of the options,

1a.  Rainbow Six (original) version of Shadowrun.
More of a variant of the FPS shooter style game, but while the FPS one focuses on telling a story (ala Halo) this one would focus more on the tactical planning side of doing runs.  It would still be FPS, but would include a larger focus on planning out the runs over simply running and gunning.

2.  Grand Theft Auto style Shadowrun
Probably the closest non-RPG style game we could get to a shadowrun game.  The over-all set up of GTA would work for Shadowrun.  Open world Sandbox, shady locations, people giving you missions, etc.  Someone with good modding experience could probably put in a lot of work and mod up GTA 4 to be a shadowrun game.  For this you can think of what would be a natural blending of the old Sega game with modern sandbox gaming.

3.  Metal Gear style of Shadowrun
Another Action game version of shadowrun, this time the idea would be to use a set up similar to the "tactical stealth action" of the MGS series in a shadowrun world.  The entire game may take place during a specific run. 

4.  "Mass Effect" Shadowrun
Here we start touching in on the Shadowrun world from an RPG stand point.  Still rather action oriented, because I think shadowrun warants it.  The system can be tweaked to fit all the different playstyles.

5.  Shadowrun MMO
The holy grail of shadowrunning.  An MMO sandboxy world with everyone playing shadowrunners of different ilk.  The ability to hire on fellow runners to complete a mission, deal with the mega corps, etc.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-16-11/1509:35> »
Mass Effect-style would work I think.

While it is very action-heavy, there are plenty of unique and interesting things you make happen with dialog, and you'd think hacking/magic/rigging could have something similar in addition to straight combat application.

I dunno about a MMO personally.  I guess it worked in a MUX type environment, but a (mostly) static world doesn't fit all that well IMO.  I'm sure it could be made to work, I'd just maintain a hefty amount of skepticism until I saw it working I guess is what I'm saying.

robert4818

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-16-11/1546:20> »
Mass Effect-style would work I think.

While it is very action-heavy, there are plenty of unique and interesting things you make happen with dialog, and you'd think hacking/magic/rigging could have something similar in addition to straight combat application.

I dunno about a MMO personally.  I guess it worked in a MUX type environment, but a (mostly) static world doesn't fit all that well IMO.  I'm sure it could be made to work, I'd just maintain a hefty amount of skepticism until I saw it working I guess is what I'm saying.

A GTA style game could also work wonders.  I think, with it, you could actually implement 9/10ths of what makes shadowrun shadowrun.  Mages, riggers, deckers, astral plane, cyberwear, corporations, mr johnsons, Metahumans etc.  It would be more twitch based than necessarily RPG, but you could definitely get it all in there.  You could even toss in multiplayer.

A mass effect game could give you the RPG style.

An MMO is doable, but it could never exist as a "wow clone".  IMO there would have to be a mission generator (updated version of the old anarchy online system) heavy use of instances, a reputation system, and alot of other sandbox style elements.  You definitely couldn't just have people running from lvl 1 - 70 starting in the barrens and working their way up to raid instances in renraku arcology, all the while looking for the guy in the bar with a [!] over his head.

A shadowrun MMO would have to be radically different than what we've seen anytime recently.  The absolute closest MMO analogue out there at this time would be the city of heroes/city of villains games.  But even those are not close enough to what a SR MMO would need to be.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-16-11/1730:41> »
I can see a GTA game handling the RPG aspects fine.  Taking out the aiming guns usually you target guy X with the left bumper or something, it has been a while.  A little box shows you are targeting thug X now if you shoot instead of GTA's mechanics it would use a die roll system base don SR.  If target X officially grabbed cover they would bet bonus dice to avoid damage, they would soak damage etc.  add in mass effects pause system and you can do things like use autofire to spread between multiple targets, lay down cover fire etc.  Add in magic and you are golden, with the free roam GTA system you could go crazy.  It is sort of my current dream game, though I'd play a shadowrun MMO as well.  I don't like MMOs but I love shadowruns setting enough to do it.  I think they would need a more free style of MMO than most, it would suck to be a rigger and not be able to fly a helicopter for exmaple. 

I'm not sure what they call it, but the guild wars style game would fit for a MMOish like as well. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-16-11/1753:00> »
Interesting a SR mmo.  Information is sparse for a game they expect to come out in 2012.

robert4818

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-16-11/1907:46> »
I can see a GTA game handling the RPG aspects fine.  Taking out the aiming guns usually you target guy X with the left bumper or something, it has been a while.  A little box shows you are targeting thug X now if you shoot instead of GTA's mechanics it would use a die roll system base don SR.  If target X officially grabbed cover they would bet bonus dice to avoid damage, they would soak damage etc.  add in mass effects pause system and you can do things like use autofire to spread between multiple targets, lay down cover fire etc.  Add in magic and you are golden, with the free roam GTA system you could go crazy.  It is sort of my current dream game, though I'd play a shadowrun MMO as well.  I don't like MMOs but I love shadowruns setting enough to do it.  I think they would need a more free style of MMO than most, it would suck to be a rigger and not be able to fly a helicopter for exmaple. 

I'm not sure what they call it, but the guild wars style game would fit for a MMOish like as well.

I would say this:
Don't get too hung up on the "mechanics" of the game.  To me, they are the absolute least important aspect of the game.  What is much more important is getting the look/feel of the world correct, and ensuring that the game itself is fun.

There should be certain no-go's (ressurection spells) that exist.  But I do not think that ensuring that you mimic the system is always the best idea.  If mimicing the SR system causes the game itself to be un-fun on the computer, then by all means scrap it and introduce something that will make the game fun.  Its about the SR world much more than it is about the SR ruleset.

I was a huge fan of Deus Ex because it gave me a world that felt very shadowrun-like.  It didn't matter that the rule system was completely different from the SR RPG.  The same holds true IMO for any game made out of a PNP game.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <08-16-11/1931:55> »
Couldn't we just remake the Sega game with modern graphics?

Or as a Flash game?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

robert4818

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-16-11/1950:57> »
Couldn't we just remake the Sega game with modern graphics?

Or as a Flash game?

Been playing it on Emulator recently :) 

Actually a GTA style SR would actually be exactly what you are talking about :) 

nojosecool

• Chummer
  • RE:PWN
« Reply #9 on: <08-16-11/1951:40> »
I want to see the Mega CD game translated dag nabbit.  Apparently, people keep taking on the project and abandoning it half-way through.  The game even rolls dice!  It's as true to the system as it got.  I loved the Genesis game, too.

For anyone who hasn't heard of this Mega CD Shadowrun game, it's set in Tokyo (meaning no orks or trolls), the characters are drawn Manga style, and it's very RPG style.
This is not Grand Theft Auto, this is Shadowrun.

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #10 on: <08-16-11/1955:26> »
There WAS a Shadowrun MMORPG being developed.
SRO. Now 6th World Gaming Studios. It had a working alpha and stuff.
Really nice Design Documents and ideas and concepts and all that jazz.
It got C&Ded to death by M$ shortly before they released their shitty shooty . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #11 on: <08-17-11/1222:32> »
Take Fallout 3. Replace Post Nuclear Apocalypse with Dystopian Cyberpunk/Fantasy.

I know I'd play it.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <08-17-11/1231:06> »
Take Fallout 3. Replace Post Nuclear Apocalypse with Dystopian Cyberpunk/Fantasy.

I know I'd play it.
Only if it has Hardcore mode and Traits.  That's my only request.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #13 on: <08-17-11/1242:47> »
there was sixth world,

and now there are Cliffhanger Productions doing SR
and another group doing SR, http://awakenedmmo.org/
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <08-17-11/1302:42> »
I was going to ask if Awakened was going to get a C&D like the previous attempt, but it appears they've gone to M$ and gotten permission first.  At least, according to the FAQ.  Hopefully, it wasn't at some convention where the Intern at the M$ Booth was stoned when he said, "Whoa, cool idea, but you gotta totally give us credit for owning it and...  Got any chips?"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11