NEWS

5 ways to do Shadowrun Video Games

• 65 Replies

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #60 on: <03-22-12/1159:37> »
A shadowrun MMO would have to be radically different than what we've seen anytime recently.  The absolute closest MMO analogue out there at this time would be the city of heroes/city of villains games.  But even those are not close enough to what a SR MMO would need to be.
I don't think you have seen Neocron, have you?  In fact, if anyone here is itching for a Shadowrun-like MMO, I strongly suggest checking out Neocron 2

nulloperations

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <03-22-12/1814:45> »
I don't think you have seen Neocron, have you?  In fact, if anyone here is itching for a Shadowrun-like MMO, I strongly suggest checking out Neocron 2

And that's exactly why I loved Neocron. It felt so much like shadowrun to me, especialy, yay RIGGERS!!!!!!!

Ahem.

There's a lot of games that can have the Shadowrun feel. Take the recent Deus Ex: HR. This game is essentially nearly non-cyber ex-cop turned corp sec made into a delta-ware near cyber-zombie. If you tossed in a few races and some spell slingers, we'd be in business for SR (although forward it a few decades).

I erm... pretend the game takes place in the Shadowrun universe... when I play...

Medea

« Reply #62 on: <04-09-12/1826:15> »
I think another good game with a lot of Shadowrun type elements is Deus Ex.  If you made the hacking more like the Matrix, added magic, and a character creation system with all the metahuman races it would be very close to a passable SR video game (and waaay better than the Microborg flop).  Then again, I'd rather see people make a SR game from the ground -up, based more on the rpg rather than the popularity of fps games, and I would want a group of SR gamers to oversee the developmental process and make the ultimate decisions on whether something gets accepted in the game or not (like scientific consultants for some sci-fi movie, only with more power).  And I want the game to be online so you could interact with other human players.  Oh, but I'm asking for too much!  lol

Let's face it, until they come up with true virtual reality the pen and paper rpg will just be more fun to play.    :)

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <04-20-12/1618:27> »

And that's exactly why I loved Neocron. It felt so much like shadowrun to me, especialy, yay RIGGERS!!!!!!!

Ahem.
There's a lot of games that can have the Shadowrun feel. Take the recent Deus Ex: HR. This game is essentially nearly non-cyber ex-cop turned corp sec made into a delta-ware near cyber-zombie. If you tossed in a few races and some spell slingers, we'd be in business for SR (although forward it a few decades).

I erm... pretend the game takes place in the Shadowrun universe... when I play...

The trailer for it reminded me of SR, without metahumans and magic.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <04-20-12/1642:51> »
I think another good game with a lot of Shadowrun type elements is Deus Ex.  If you made the hacking more like the Matrix, added magic, and a character creation system with all the metahuman races it would be very close to a passable SR video game (and waaay better than the Microborg flop).  Then again, I'd rather see people make a SR game from the ground -up, based more on the rpg rather than the popularity of fps games, and I would want a group of SR gamers to oversee the developmental process and make the ultimate decisions on whether something gets accepted in the game or not (like scientific consultants for some sci-fi movie, only with more power).  And I want the game to be online so you could interact with other human players.  Oh, but I'm asking for too much!  lol

Let's face it, until they come up with true virtual reality the pen and paper rpg will just be more fun to play.    :)

The online could work, but only if it were only an option. Basically you could go online to play with other people, but with it having the capability to play without doing so. Of course I would also personally prefer any designers to dump this idea of nigh-impossible fights that so many games have been incorporating of late.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #65 on: <04-20-12/1838:47> »
With the 'no respawn' limit in place, I think that a MMO style game would have to place the players  as Johnsons and the runners that they build up are assets... Expendable assets.  The objective is to get money and power.  Usually, this comes at the expense of someone else.

I would imagine that instead of cities, you would have corporations.  But you might also have criminal organizations too.  So, by improving your 'power' within a corporation or other organization, you get access to more of their funds for additional runs.  Eventually, you might get enough power to do a hostile takeover.