NEWS

5 ways to do Shadowrun Video Games

• 65 Replies

Krypter

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <08-17-11/1411:36> »
There's a 6th style that hasn't been mentioned, probably because it's fallen out of favour throughout the video games industry: classic RPG with turn-based combat, a party and isometric view. Like Dragon Age 1. That's my preferred style of CRPG. It gives you time to plan tactics, tweak party skill sets, develop group abilities and still have plenty of dialogue and roleplaying.

Mass Effect was not a classic CRPG, it was a FPS with a lot of dialogue and story.
"Degrade first the arts if you'd mankind degrade,
Hire idiots to paint with cold light and hot shade."
-WB

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <08-17-11/1438:20> »
I think we would be wasting our time holding out for a modern, big budget production video game with shooting and combat, that is a turn-based game.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-17-11/1446:30> »
There's a 6th style that hasn't been mentioned, probably because it's fallen out of favour throughout the video games industry: classic RPG with turn-based combat, a party and isometric view. Like Dragon Age 1. That's my preferred style of CRPG. It gives you time to plan tactics, tweak party skill sets, develop group abilities and still have plenty of dialogue and roleplaying.

Mass Effect was not a classic CRPG, it was a FPS with a lot of dialogue and story.

Which, if you're going to do varying IPs and other "I can go faster than you" actions, might be the way to do it.

On the other hand, automatically slowing everyone who doesn't have more IPs might be amusing. (no, pushing the button faster won't help.)

robert4818

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <08-17-11/1500:43> »
Another key thing to keep in mind is that we don't necessarily need "Shadowrun: The Game", many of us would be happy with games SET IN the shadowrun world, that keep respect for the world.

Look at all the different variations of games for Star Wars out there. Force Unleashed,  FPS, RPG, Flight Simulators, etc.

I think we should look at Shadowrun as more of an IP than as simply an RPG.  While the holy grail would still be something thats either an MMO, or even a great game along the lines of the Sega SR game, there are plenty of other routes to go with.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-17-11/1507:45> »

For mass effect hit shift and it becomes a bit more turn based. 

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <08-17-11/1517:48> »
Well, if they made a Mass Effect-flavor SR, I'd play a vanguard and charge everything to death.  Weeeeee

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #21 on: <08-17-11/1557:42> »
DAMN YOU!  I now have the Final Fantasy *1* combat music stuck in my head!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

robert4818

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <08-17-11/1916:52> »

If you are talking "Bauldur's Gate" style, I think its do-able, but also would be a much lower potential in good sales.  I would at least jump it up to KOTOR level at a minimum. 

Now, on the flip side, I do not think a JRPG style game would work at all.  I just don't think the set up could stay true to the world...

nojosecool

• Chummer
  • RE:PWN
« Reply #23 on: <08-17-11/1942:03> »
DAMN YOU!  I now have the Final Fantasy *1* combat music stuck in my head!

No, damn YOU for spreading your head-song!
This is not Grand Theft Auto, this is Shadowrun.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <08-17-11/1945:42> »
If I suffer, *EVERYONE* suffers.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Socinus

• Newb
  • Emerged
« Reply #25 on: <09-15-11/0253:08> »
1.  FPS set in the (real) Shadowrun world.
The world of Shadowrun is, IMO, more important than the rule-set.  A single player FPS set in the world of shadowrun, telling an authentic shadowrun story could be a very good game.  This is probably the weakest of the options,
Agreed. Shadowrun has an INCREDIBLY rich story and this option is, to me, taking the Microsoft option of ignoring all that and just making a generic FPS with fantasy races and calling it a win. At the end of the day, the elements Shadowrun has to work with to construct an FPS make it a very bland FPS. You would also create a balancing NIGHTMARE with magic and if you tried to integrate things like hacking and Technomancers, it would be a ginormous trainwreck.

1a.  Rainbow Six (original) version of Shadowrun.
More of a variant of the FPS shooter style game, but while the FPS one focuses on telling a story (ala Halo) this one would focus more on the tactical planning side of doing runs.  It would still be FPS, but would include a larger focus on planning out the runs over simply running and gunning.
Again, I think you'd run into the same problem as the first option. It would be better for longer, but eventually it would get stale and feel more like the gameplay was just a side-note, a way to drive the cut-scene story along.

2.  Grand Theft Auto style Shadowrun
Probably the closest non-RPG style game we could get to a shadowrun game.  The over-all set up of GTA would work for Shadowrun.  Open world Sandbox, shady locations, people giving you missions, etc.  Someone with good modding experience could probably put in a lot of work and mod up GTA 4 to be a shadowrun game.  For this you can think of what would be a natural blending of the old Sega game with modern sandbox gaming.
This isn't a bad idea but I think this lends itself more to the violation of what you actually are in Shadowrun; you're a criminal who shoots people in the face for money. GTA puts you more on the level (in actuality, not in depiction) of a super-hero who can square off with massive squadrons of cops and walk away. I think it would end up being more like City of Heroes than GTA and the system of punishment you'd have to institute to keep people on a more "Shadowrun" path would have to be so draconian and brutal you'd ruin the game.

3.  Metal Gear style of Shadowrun
Another Action game version of shadowrun, this time the idea would be to use a set up similar to the "tactical stealth action" of the MGS series in a shadowrun world.  The entire game may take place during a specific run.
See #1

4.  "Mass Effect" Shadowrun
Here we start touching in on the Shadowrun world from an RPG stand point.  Still rather action oriented, because I think shadowrun warants it.  The system can be tweaked to fit all the different playstyles.
Probably the most realistic incarnation of a good Shadowrun game. It would be a daunting task though because Shadowrun is such a massive game world. You'd have to compartmentalize it somewhat, though it would give you room for sequels and add-ons.

5.  Shadowrun MMO
The holy grail of shadowrunning.  An MMO sandboxy world with everyone playing shadowrunners of different ilk.  The ability to hire on fellow runners to complete a mission, deal with the mega corps, etc.
As much as this gets passed around as an awesome idea...I dont think it would be so amazing. The biggest issue would be balance; how do you balance out the different aspects of the game and still have classes and races that arent basically a carbon-copy exercise in enforced mediocrity? That alone would be a monumental task. You'd need a company DEDICATED to the game that knew it well to sustain it and have it work out well. The fanbase is incredibly critical and vocal but dedicated. The MMO market is already well-saturated and difficult to break into.

I think option 4 is the most realistic chance for a good Shadowrun game.
In a society that has abolished all adventure, the only adventure left is to abolish that society

Characters
Firewall Character Sheet

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #26 on: <09-15-11/0456:40> »
Turn based as done in Baldur's Gate or Fallout 1-2 is the only way to accurately use the same system the "real" Shadowrun game works.
Multiple IP's could be done in a way that gives a slow character one turn while a boosted one gets 3 turns, or could be done with action points, a slow character getting 10 and a boosted character getting 25-30.

Anything else (First or Third Person Shooter/Slasher) will depend on player skill > character skill, especially for combat. There's just no way to show the difference between 0-1 automatics skill and the same skill at rating 6 + smartlink + agility boosted to augmented max.
Sure, programming decreased recoil and a tighter rectangle or such for higher gun skills will display some skill improvement but in the end, a one-handed player with Parkinson playing a maxed-out character will still get shot by a quick and accurate player with a barely trained character. And a true RPG should always be about character skill instead of player skill.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #27 on: <09-15-11/0903:17> »
There WAS a Shadowrun MMORPG being developed. SRO. Now 6th World Gaming Studios. It had a working alpha and stuff. Really nice Design Documents and ideas and concepts and all that jazz. It got C&Ded to death by M$ shortly before they released their shitty shooty . .
And as I've said before, this is why you get your licensing straightened out BEFORE you throw a ton of blood sweat, and tears into a project on an IP you don't actually own.

I seriously expect the Awakened MMO effort to also get slapped with a C&D when the official licensed MMO by Cliffhanger nears completion. Awakened's "permission" amounts to a verbal agreement that isn't worth jack.

The saddest part is, you don't NEED the Shadowrun name to make a "magic cyberpunk" game. You could create your own IP, and not have to worry about legal entanglements. If you game is good enough, it doesn't NEED that big name attached. It should be able to stand on it's own.

-k

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #28 on: <09-19-11/1938:07> »
I would do an isometric view turn based tactics game along the lines of Fallout tactics, and then insert the actual SR system for the rules and interactions. I would use the worldbuilding of Sega Shadowrun and make hiring or even creating other runners possible, and add a multiplayer element where each player makes a character and can control him on his turn.

It's a nice dream, anyway.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #29 on: <09-19-11/2308:45> »
I would do an isometric view turn based tactics game along the lines of Fallout tactics, and then insert the actual SR system for the rules and interactions. I would use the worldbuilding of Sega Shadowrun and make hiring or even creating other runners possible, and add a multiplayer element where each player makes a character and can control him on his turn.

It's a nice dream, anyway.

A very nice dream.

I'm actually playing Fallout: Tactics right now. :)