NEWS

Magic Rating and Initiation

• 47 Replies

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« on: <07-04-11/1624:46> »
OK, fast question. After a conversation with a friend of mine, this came up: You have to pay for you magical rating AND initiation, but can you raise your magic rating past 6 without initiating? Example, a physical adapt has a magic rating of 8, but did not initiate? Legal, yes/no? And if it is, all that means is that said adept will have the points for other powers, but no metamagic? Yes/no???? Looked in my books, but no definitive answer, or am I not looking in the right place?

Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-04-11/1627:14> »
From page 82 of SR4A(page 73 in original)
"Magic and Resonance can both be raised
to a natural maximum of 6 (+ initiation/submersion grade) regardless
of metatype."
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-04-11/1633:58> »
Theres an optional rule of taking a power point instead of a metamagic  but metahumans must initiate to get Magic over 6 and in my opinion, over their Essence stat.

i.e.  Ghoul with essence 5 must initiate if it wants magic 6
« Last Edit: <07-04-11/1929:23> by Chrona »

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <07-04-11/1838:00> »
"Magic and Resonance can both be raised to a natural maximum of 6 (+ initiation/submersion grade) regardless of metatype."
This.

+1 to Mäx.

Note: As Chrona said, there are a few exceptions for Infected (Ghouls, Vampires) and possibly some other optional Metatypes. These PC's have a natural maximum of Magic 5 (instead of the normal 6)
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #4 on: <07-04-11/2324:32> »
of metatype."

So, up TO 6, it costs normal, but anything beyond that is paid for by initiation...gotcha. Thanx, sometimes things don't click the way they should. Every now and again I forget that one can start with less than in magic now.

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-04-11/2350:12> »
of metatype."

So, up TO 6, it costs normal, but anything beyond that is paid for by initiation...gotcha.
Just to make sure your not misunderstanding, the initiation doesn't raise your magic, only the maximum for it.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #6 on: <07-05-11/0045:59> »
of metatype."

So, up TO 6, it costs normal, but anything beyond that is paid for by initiation...gotcha.
Just to make sure your not misunderstanding, the initiation doesn't raise your magic, only the maximum for it.

Ah, well now THAT answers the question...So either way, you will have to pay for both. OK, thanx Max.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-05-11/0053:28> »
Ah, well now THAT answers the question...So either way, you will have to pay for both. OK, thanx Max.
Indeed,...hence why most awakened are politely referred to as 'Karma Sinks'... :)

Of course, Technomancers have a similar issue also with Resonance and Submersion...

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #8 on: <07-05-11/0627:38> »
Indeed,...hence why most awakened are politely referred to as 'Karma Sinks'... :)

Of course, Technomancers have a similar issue also with Resonance and Submersion...

Im starting to see why some, especially adepts, are beginning to also embrace a little 'ware to get the job done.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <07-05-11/0846:47> »
Im starting to see why some, especially adepts, are beginning to also embrace a little 'ware to get the job done.
Shhh!  :-X

While I completely agree with you, there are some Awakened purists who take offence to such talk... :o

Be vewwy vewwy qwuiet.....

Phreak Commandment V:

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <07-07-11/2032:40> »
Shhh!  :-X

While I completely agree with you, there are some Awakened purists who take offence to such talk... :o

Be vewwy vewwy qwuiet.....

Too late.

I actually have no problem with people taking cyber/bio.  I just don't like that on a game mechanic/balance level you would have to be a fool not to load up on it.  While the earlier editions had an exploit that made it just as bad I think the better balance should be that it is just as viable an option to either take cyber or not take it.  Adepts if they do take it should focus on things magic can't do, like smartgun links. And not just take it because it is more effective to get synaptic accelerators.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-07-11/2101:56> »
For the record, I also don't like the imbalance of Adept Augmentation vs Tech

However, if dem's da' rules, shadowrunners can't afford to be picky on how they keep their edge...

And if any Freelancers are listening, I'm still waiting a Magic sourcebook that gives me the equivalent of an APDS spell-enhancement, but using the same drain and targeting area and just costs extra money....

I'm just sayin'....

Phreak Commandment V:

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <07-07-11/2143:49> »
For the record, I also don't like the imbalance of Adept Augmentation vs Tech

However, if dem's da' rules, shadowrunners can't afford to be picky on how they keep their edge...

And if any Freelancers are listening, I'm still waiting a Magic sourcebook that gives me the equivalent of an APDS spell-enhancement, but using the same drain and targeting area and just costs extra money....

I'm just sayin'....

If they are listening, I'd rather they add things like different AoEs than the radius, maybe burst fire for spells(in the world of automatic weapons you'd think some mages would come up with this), sustained damage spells, indirect spells with the AP of elemental spells without the elemental so the drain isn't absurd.  But hey maybe it is in war, my game store seems to never have it in stock. 

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <07-07-11/2145:49> »
Nearest war has is grenade and supresive fire spells (both elemental with high drain)

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <07-07-11/2217:41> »
If they are listening, I'd rather they add things like different AoEs than the radius, maybe burst fire for spells(in the world of automatic weapons you'd think some mages would come up with this), sustained damage spells, indirect spells with the AP of elemental spells without the elemental so the drain isn't absurd.  But hey maybe it is in war, my game store seems to never have it in stock.
It's a bit off-topic, but flame-wall etc are damaging spells with a different AoE than radius...

Phreak Commandment V: