NEWS

Missions FAQ Additions?

• 247 Replies

martinchaen

« Reply #225 on: <09-20-13/1457:13> »
What is the default Noise level in Chicago? Do we know?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #226 on: <09-20-13/1505:08> »
Chicago itself is like other cities. The Containment Zone is, according to the Hot Patch, an average of 2 iirc.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #227 on: <09-20-13/1516:50> »
Source for the hot patch? I can't find anything about Noise in the 0.99 or 1.0 versions of the FAQ about noise (or background count, for that matter).

EDIT:
DOH! Never mind... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12034805/SRM5%20Hot%20Patch%20Errata%20v1.0.pdf

"Besides the background count, the CZ is a virtual nightmare for deckers and technomancers. The persistent low-level background radiation coupled with a distinct lack of modern matrix broadcasting equipment through the area results in a high level of constant background Noise that makes even basic matrix communication difficult. Noise levels will vary from area to area, but unless otherwise specified in the scene, assume a default Noise level of 2 anytime the characters are within the Containment Zone."

They conveniently forgot to include "street samurai with extensive cybernetic implants" in the first sentence... Background noise of 2 will only affect "general appliances, public terminals, entertainment systems" since as per page 421 the noise has to be greater than the device rating, but that means that in most of Chicago a 200-1200 nuyen piece of gear (a R1 to R6 jammer) could potentially disconnect basic cyberware from the 'trix, unless the answer to the below question is that the device uses the higher rating.

Follow-up, to (hopefully) be included in the next version of the FAQ:
"Whenever a slaved device is called on to make a defense test, it uses either its own or its master’s rating for each rating in the test."
Since noise does not apply to defense tests, how does noise affect devices that are slaved to devices with higher device ratings? (i.e. what is used to calculate noise for basic cyberware (rating 2) slaved to an advanced commlink (rating 6).
« Last Edit: <09-20-13/1525:53> by martinchaen »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #228 on: <09-20-13/1533:48> »
Any street sam not running wires in the CZ deserves getting shot up.

martinchaen

« Reply #229 on: <09-20-13/1540:16> »
Michael, what do you mean "running wires"? How would I "run wires" from the hydraulic jacks in my legs to my commlink, and would that let me use the wireless bonus (+6 dice to running, for example)? If not, then some implants just became rather less useful...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #230 on: <09-20-13/1546:50> »
You don't get the wireless bonus, but at least that way you can still connect smartguns and get their Accuracy bonus, which are rather useful (especially with shotguns).

martinchaen

« Reply #231 on: <09-20-13/1605:09> »
Wait, what? OK, so basic cyberware is Device Rating 2, which equals the background noise. If you have a datajack, you also get noise reduction 1, meaning noise has to be 4 or more to affect you.

That still sucks for anyone using 'ware unless you can slave said ware to your Device Rating 6 commlink, as noise would have to hit 8 or more before it cuts out your 'ware. This definitely needs clarifications...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #232 on: <09-20-13/1608:27> »
How would it suck for people using ware? All it'd cut out is the wireless bonuses.

martinchaen

« Reply #233 on: <09-20-13/1618:39> »
Because the 'ware I just paid 400k for could in large part be negated by an 800 nuyen piece of gear?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #234 on: <09-20-13/1622:29> »
Knowing the character you're talking about, the loss of wireless does hurt a little bit, but I don't think it is that bad. What in particular are you worried about losing?

With that said, they did move a lot of the more useful boni to wireless, whcih does suck anywhere you are going to have to deal with heavy noise.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #235 on: <09-20-13/1627:35> »
Wireless: Skilljacks can run Ratingx3 instead of Ratingx2, Skillwires get +1 on the Limits, you can stack Reaction Enhancers with Wired Reflexes, a buncha containers and such use Free Actions, you get +1 die with Hydraulic jacks, that's about all. All other functionality will still work.

Technically, Jack, those bonuses weren't moved. They were removed and replaced with limit changes (which I like, since they're no longer 100% required for everyone), then reintroduced as wireless boni.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #236 on: <09-20-13/1630:57> »
Knowing the character you're talking about, the loss of wireless does hurt a little bit, but I don't think it is that bad. What in particular are you worried about losing?

With that said, they did move a lot of the more useful boni to wireless, whcih does suck anywhere you are going to have to deal with heavy noise.

if you think that is bad, try to play a adept Decker in Chicago. Negatives from both noise and background count.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

martinchaen

« Reply #237 on: <09-20-13/1636:59> »
Smartgun, Michael. Grenades. Grenade Launchers (oh, sorry, no airburst link for you; come on...)

And what about the wireless bonus on a Shock Hand? I asked a question about power points in Chicago (because fluff indicates there are none), and without wireless I suddenly can't recharge it anywhere. Really?

The logical solution is to allow a device that is slaved to another device to use the master device rating for purposes of determining noise.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #238 on: <09-20-13/1701:08> »
Smartgun, Michael. Grenades. Grenade Launchers (oh, sorry, no airburst link for you; come on...)
But we weren't talking about firearms and projectile weapons. You were specifically saying that the ware you paid 400k for would in large part be negated by jamming, not the guns.

As for the guns: Smartguns merely don't give their +1/+2 dice if you wire them and you can still throw Motion Sensor grenades.

martinchaen

« Reply #239 on: <09-20-13/1702:19> »
Smartguns are included in all ranged cyberweapons...