NEWS

Lifestyles, Vehicles/Drones, and Contacts

• 4 Replies

martinchaen

« on: <10-01-13/2109:34> »
How does SRM handle lifestyles, vehicles/drones, and contacts?

Scenario: a group of us are going to play Firing Line and Sprawl Wilds, but we all made our characters with SRM Season 5 in mind. Do we buy generic contacts, and then earn Season 5 contacts in-game?

In previous seasons, CMPs would take you across the globe; if this is the case in the above, are vehicles and drones transported along with the rest of one's gear? Do we simply assume that Mr. Johnson has provided us with an equivalent at our new locale?

And what about lifestyles? Do these just "transfer" between cities, or do we have to buy a new one for each place?

Any insight from people who've played these missions and/or previous CMPs would be highly appreciated.

Martin
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/2300:22> by martinchaen »

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-13/2220:00> »
Ok...  Lots of misc questions here.  Hrmm.

Contacts:

Season 5 largely takes place in Chicago.  There are a list of Season specific contacts in the Season 5 Prep Files document (See Sticky post here for link) that will be useful, but you will also have the opportunity to earn most of those during the first Missions arc, so they're not necessary to purchase at Chargen.  You can buy any contacts you like, but keep in mind that if they're not in Chicago they'll have a more limited use, outside of possible information.

Drones/Gear: 

Season 5 Chicago Missions should all take place in and around Chicago.  CMPs, on the other hand, are global.  Some Missions specify at the beginning that you have all vehicles and drones.  Either they were transported or you were provided temporary "copies" to use while on the job (And no, you cannot keep/steal these).  In this case, then yes, you have all gear.  But if it doesn't say you automatically have them, then it's up to you to deal with that situation in character.  Some Missions do stuff like this to challenge the players. :)

Lifestyles:

Any characters playing in Season 5 should be assumed to live in Chicago, and thus your Lifestyles will be there.  You can purchase lifestyles in other cities/locations, but they do not transfer, so they'll be of limited use.  But sometimes it might be handy to have a Bolthole in Bogota, you never know.  At the very least, the fact that your primary fake SIN gets his mail down there could provide you some cover if the cops end up on your tail ;)

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <10-01-13/2229:23> »
Hahaha, thanks for humouring me, Bull.

Nice to know that you can in fact earn SRM Season 5 contacts through play. Since I'm basing my own character out of Chicago anyway (and since we're playing Sprawl Wilds and Firing Line as a sort of lead-up to SRM5) I'll keep one of the SRM5 contacts on my character sheet.

Pretty straight forward on drones, cheers! Kind of figured it would be an either or situation, with you have your gear or you don't have your gear as the possible options. Should be fun!

Lifestyles make sense. Can one acquire these during play? I'd hate for my Chicago based character to suddenly have to live on the street because a mission takes him to Bogota. But then again, it might be fun to have his mail forwarded to Amazonia... Hmmm. And I could always just get a hotel room...

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-13/2241:36> »
If you travel out of town, you do not need to buy a lifestyle there.  One of teh Firing Line Missions takes place in Bogota (Which is why I used that as an example), but it's assumed you're only there for the duration of the adventure, which is less than a week.

however, you can buy additional Lifestyles during play if you want (No availability, just pay for them).  Sometimes useful to have an extra bolthole, just in case.  Sometimes it's for security, sometimes its for Roleplay.  My characters usually end up with two or three so that I have stashes around the city in case of emergency (A cheap Low Lifestyle apartment where I can keep guns and ammo and a medkit is very handy when the drek hits the fan).

martinchaen

« Reply #4 on: <10-01-13/2254:11> »
Ah, thanks for that clarification. That's something along the lines of what I was thinking. From what I've been reading about the CZ, it might be wise to have a bolthole where you can rest up for a bit and resupply before heading back out.

Thanks again!