NEWS

Missions FAQ Additions?

• 247 Replies

wepv

• Newb
« Reply #210 on: <09-10-13/0759:15> »
From the deckers I've seen so far, noise has not been an issue. Noise mostly seems to be a penalty to the non-hackers and non- riggers who need wireless for something, since they are not equipped to cancel large amounts of noise. It does feel a bit like awakened characters( mages especially) get hit the hardest in season 5. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The CZ is a terrible place.

tequila

• Chummer
« Reply #211 on: <09-10-13/0813:40> »
I think background count being a dice pool penalty is MUCH better than being a Magic Attribute modifier.  Nothing like seeing most of your powers go away or having to overcast spells just to get a decent force.
#thistasergoesto11

Quote from: Tarislar
ArmTech MGL-12: Nothing says love like a 3 round burst of HE Grenade to hit something for 32P
Nuff said.  :-X

wepv

• Newb
« Reply #212 on: <09-10-13/1337:23> »
True, tequila, very true. Old BCs were terrifying at -1 or -2. Now you barely feel a -1 or -2.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #213 on: <09-10-13/1458:03> »
Signal Scrub is still a Cyberprogram so only Deckers and RIggers can use it. A wireless smartgun has Device Rating 2, so a Noise of 3 will disable its Wireless Functionality.
I am curious about how people view common cyberprograms and commlinks.  The text on page 441 just says they are "used in cyberdecks", but doesn't exclude their use in commlinks.  More importantly, the software has no availability restriction, while the cyberdecks are Forbidden (12F).

Regardless, couldn't you just use a data cable to hook your smartgun to your commlink, slave the gun to the com, and use the higher device rating?
« Last Edit: <09-10-13/1508:25> by Fedifensor »

wepv

• Newb
« Reply #214 on: <09-10-13/1507:43> »
or just connect the smartgun directly to your head?  :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #215 on: <09-11-13/0636:17> »
I am curious about how people view common cyberprograms and commlinks.  The text on page 441 just says they are "used in cyberdecks", but doesn't exclude their use in commlinks.  More importantly, the software has no availability restriction, while the cyberdecks are Forbidden (12F).
It's weird, yes, but on the other hand a wageslave could be buying software to aid their work on the job with the corp-supplied deck. Or an inspector could be bringing their software to employ.

As for cables: Yes, you can use cables to use the Smartgun, but if I recall the rules correctly the Smartgun itself must be wireless to get the wireless bonuses.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #216 on: <09-11-13/0701:59> »
As for cables: Yes, you can use cables to use the Smartgun, but if I recall the rules correctly the Smartgun itself must be wireless to get the wireless bonuses.

This. You could still get the Smart Link limit increase if you used the wire, but the wireless additional two dice to your dice pool requires wireless to be on.
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #217 on: <09-11-13/0749:35> »
It's weird, yes, but on the other hand a wageslave could be buying software to aid their work on the job with the corp-supplied deck. Or an inspector could be bringing their software to employ.
And of course, RCCs can also use some cyberprograms, and RCCs are only Restricted.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #218 on: <09-11-13/0756:41> »
(RCCs might be able to use others too, not entirely clear.)

Oh, and Drones can use Cyberprograms just like RCCs, there's 7 non-Restricted Drones. The programs they listed as interesting for RCCs include 4 Common Programs, so a drone could for example run Virtual Machine, Signal Scrub and Encryption and still have space left for a single Autosoft.

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #219 on: <09-11-13/0932:27> »
That doesn't really make sense, as the wireless bonus is gained from accessing data in "the cloud"/the Matrix.  If the gun can access the data by going through a commlink that is much more resistant to noise, why wouldn't it get the bonus?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #220 on: <09-11-13/0941:45> »
While the Wireless Bonuses section mentions using commlinks to defend them, it does not mention routing them through the commlink to get access to the Matrix. So it's a GM's call there.

SichoPhiend

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #221 on: <09-19-13/1412:01> »
Signal Scrub is still a Cyberprogram so only Deckers and RIggers can use it. A wireless smartgun has Device Rating 2, so a Noise of 3 will disable its Wireless Functionality.

The other consideration is that on page 243 it states "Common programs are ones that are pretty harmless and available most everywhere for hobbyists and Matrix professionals."

I highly doubt that a "hobbyist" is going to drop 50,000 on a bare bones deck just to run a browse program.  I am really hoping that they release some more detailed rules regarding what commlinks can and cannot do. (and once and for all end the debate whether or not they can run a couple common programs)
A wise man once said that with increased intelligence comes the increased capacity to feel pain.
Therefore, if ignorance is bliss, enlightenment must be pure hell.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #222 on: <09-19-13/1420:43> »
Quote from: SichoPhiend link=topic=3768.Normsg237478#msg237478 date=1379614321
I highly doubt that a "hobbyist" is going to drop 50,000 on a bare bones deck [..]
A hobbyist would be buying an anti-Noise program for his cheapass drone to fly around though. Nor does he need Browse to Matrix Search, all Browse does is half the search interval.
« Last Edit: <09-19-13/1422:36> by Michael Chandra »

Fedifensor

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #223 on: <09-19-13/1510:47> »
A hobbyist would be buying an anti-Noise program for his cheapass drone to fly around though. Nor does he need Browse to Matrix Search, all Browse does is half the search interval.
It's a prety big stretch to say that all hobbyists and Matrix professionals are using common programs just for drones...especially Browse.  Your example is valid, but does not address the problem at hand.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #224 on: <09-19-13/1512:40> »
Matrix Professionals I addressed twice in the past.