NEWS

One handed assault rifle!?

• 48 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-16-16/1653:56> »
The carry weight of characters by RAW is ridiculous. Even a maxed out Strength and Body Troll doesn't come close to the current world record holder, who, if memory serves, can free lift upwards of 300 Kg.

I'm fully with MijRaj on this one; doable, especially with a strength 12 troll.

Now, as others have pointed out, if the rest of the group is going for Stealth this guy is going to stand out like a sore thumb. But if nothing else, he'll make for one hell of a distraction when he attacks from the opposite side of the compound where the rest of the team is sneaking in...

ETA:
I knew I'd done some math on lifting limits before:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=20017.msg358363#msg358363

TL;DR
I strongly (heh!) feel that the lift and carry values are way off.
« Last Edit: <02-16-16/1825:53> by Herr Brackhaus »

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #16 on: <02-16-16/2040:03> »
I was resisting the urge to comment on the carrying capacities, Herr. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #17 on: <02-16-16/2054:45> »
The carry weight of characters by RAW is ridiculous. Even a maxed out Strength and Body Troll doesn't come close to the current world record holder, who, if memory serves, can free lift upwards of 300 Kg.

I'm fully with MijRaj on this one; doable, especially with a strength 12 troll.

Now, as others have pointed out, if the rest of the group is going for Stealth this guy is going to stand out like a sore thumb. But if nothing else, he'll make for one hell of a distraction when he attacks from the opposite side of the compound where the rest of the team is sneaking in...

ETA:
I knew I'd done some math on lifting limits before:
http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=20017.msg358363#msg358363

TL;DR
I strongly (heh!) feel that the lift and carry values are way off.

I guess that depends on how you classify 'carry weight'.

I see it as the amount of weight (beyond clothing), you can carry around unhindered in movement and endurance. (Meaning, no adverse effects). And as someone who packs tools all day, I don't find it too out of line.

I am a reasonably fit male of 40 years of age, and I carry around 20 to 30kg of tools on average every day without much effort. However, throw me High Angle gear on top of those tools (about another 20kg) and I am a tired boy at the end of the day!

Now to just LIFT something, yea the figures get a little wonky. I highly doubt I could lift 100kg above my head. (Never tried)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-16-16/2339:03> »
So you'd say you're a Strength 3 human male? :D

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #19 on: <02-17-16/0124:37> »
I guess that depends on how you classify 'carry weight'.

I see it as the amount of weight (beyond clothing), you can carry around unhindered in movement and endurance. (Meaning, no adverse effects). And as someone who packs tools all day, I don't find it too out of line.
Yeah, what he said. =)

Lifting a massive amount of weight off the ground, and maybe carrying it a few feet... is far different from trudging around with a constant amount of weight for a prolonged period of time.

When soldiers deploy to a combat zone, their "full battle rattle" including armored vest, helmet, weapon and ammo comes in around 50 lbs. If they're marching for some reason instead of driving, then they'll have a backpack with about 75 lbs worth of stuff in it as well, for a total of 125 lbs wandering down the path.

That's far different from someone carrying a 300 lb machine gun that was meant to be mounted to a vehicle, in addition to all the rest of their gear. And forget about trying to shoot that 300 lb machine gun one-handed, held sideways like a gangsta' no doubt. :P
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #20 on: <02-17-16/0158:30> »
'Battle Rattle' generally weighs more than that.  About 30 pounds for the base armor, 12 pounds for the SAPI plates.  8 pounds for your rifle puts you at 50 before adding up ammunition, helmet, water, specialty gear (NVGs, binoculars, etc.), boots, grenades, etc. 

And like I said already, the Medium Machine Gun mentioned wouldn't weigh nearly as much.  20-30 pounds for the weapon itself, which a normal person can fire standing (albeit not all that accurately).  The ammunition weighs less than a quarter of your previous math (comes to around 400 rounds per 10 kilograms).  Now a troll has it, along with a Gyro-Mount for recoil compensation. 

So yeah, a troll can totally do what the guy is thinking, although the riot-shield built-in to provide armor would be unwieldy.  They can do it with about a third of the carry-weight assigned by the book, assuming 12 Strength. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Highroller86

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <02-18-16/0732:24> »
Allright! So my troll and me came to an agreement that he "could" build this accessory  in game.
(with an appropriate armorer test)
It would be a smaller shield that is fixed to one side off the gun. (Like with the Fatman)
For +2 Armor but the usual -1 penalty for shields because it's still somewhat awkward to handle.

So it would be more of a face shield, preventing small arms fire and maybe shrapnel from hitting him
so he can keep looking down the sights.

And yes, the guy WOULD be only for support fire unless he'd grab a smaller weapon without the gyro harness.
The heavy weapons skill does include other weapons. I mean... Not that a Ares Antioch would be any quieter,
but at least it's easier to carry.
So yeah... When a guy accepts his role as a backup character waiting in the back of his van, that's fine by me.
Wether DocWagon gets the team out of harms way, or a walking MG nest is mowing down whatever is left of
the security team makes no difference to me...
Heh... At least he can't take the Full Body Armor at character creation.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #22 on: <02-18-16/0841:39> »
Restricted Gear, baby!  8)
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-18-16/1056:57> »
Few things make for better distractions than a rampaging troll equipped with a machine gun... I just hope the team is ready for the amount of Public Awareness you're about to slap them with, unless they have a really ace decker :D

Highroller86

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <02-18-16/1121:52> »
Actually they do...
They have pretty much everything covered...
Elf Combat Medic / Mage who is really buffed out on Healing, a Decker who also happens to have a control rig built in,
A bounty hunter kind of guy with skills in demolitions AND subtlety, as well as Mister Hulk-Smash with an MMG on a gyro harness!
(And there might be a Face kind of character / Private Investigator / Pistols Adept joining soon)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #25 on: <02-18-16/1157:52> »
I do suggest picking up a grenade launcher for him, actually.  When you need a 'soft' touch, use a grenade launcher with non-lethal agents like CS, smoke, flash-bangs, etc.  It's good, non-magical battlefield control. 

Highroller86

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <02-18-16/1209:04> »
Huh... Well, that does sound rather interesting...
Although i would probably hand him the ArmTech MGL-12, rather than the Antioch.
Wait, you mean instead of his MMG or in addition, so he can switch weapons if the run demands it?

But in general... Sure! I love the utility that a grenade launcher can give you.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #27 on: <02-18-16/1227:59> »
In addition, grenade launchers don't do suppressive fire as well.  They are good for flushing people out of cover, though. 

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #28 on: <02-18-16/1328:47> »
In addition, grenade launchers don't do suppressive fire as well.  They are good for flushing people out of cover, though.
You've never seen what a FA grenade launcher can do in a hallway, have you? Those guys were very suppressed, I assure you.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #29 on: <02-18-16/1336:23> »
You've never seen what a FA grenade launcher can do in a hallway, have you? Those guys were very suppressed, I assure you.

That's not suppressed.

That's an El Paso salsa production line.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.