NEWS

Augmented Attribute Maximums and the Increase Attribute spell

• 48 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #30 on: <03-04-15/2343:52> »
I have two characters in my weekly group currently addicted to drugs.  One is addicted to novacoke, and takes a hit before every major planned engagement (and then brings out the shotgun with a grenade launcher).  The other is a mage, addicted to psyche.  So I get to play up the addiction angle on both of them.  As a GM, I am very happy.  I feel like addiction is a major part of normal life in Shadowrun, and since both of these characters had normal lives before becoming shadowrunners, it really makes a lot of sense.  I'm very proud of my players.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <03-06-15/0231:58> »
To make sure I'm clear here let's say I was a mystic adept with all physical attributes at maximum and improved ability 4 for each there's no point getting anything else to increase them (drugs Excepted) because it won't make a difference?

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <03-06-15/0313:56> »
Yes, the spells and adept powers cap you at +4 by their description.
Shapechange would allow you to get higher, but only for 5+ net hits and a single attribute, since effectively wasting 4 hits is already much, but wasting 8 would be dumb.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-06-15/0444:28> »
I'm suddenly a lot less bothered by the lack of cyberware options if I want to keep my magic score up, thanks.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <03-06-15/0729:01> »
To make sure I'm clear here let's say I was a mystic adept with all physical attributes at maximum and improved ability 4 for each there's no point getting anything else to increase them (drugs Excepted) because it won't make a difference?
Drugs included.
If you get +2 Strength Attribute from Kamikaze (which in it self is not limited by the +4 limit) then your Level 4 Improved Physical Attribute Strength Adept Power will only give you a bonus of +2 as long as you are under the effects of the drug (because the Adept power is explicitly limited to the +4 limit).

I listed the few and only exceptions that let you break the limit with use of drugs in a previous post in this very thread.....

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-06-15/0813:23> »
But since you already have your +4 to STR from IPA (STR) and then use Kamikaze, you'd be at +6. ;)

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <03-06-15/0825:11> »
Yes but I'm looking at non-corner case specific examples i.e. boost with adept power means you can ignore cyber/bioware and other general boosts because the +4 from that is as good as you'll get from those and doesn't stack.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <03-06-15/0951:41> »
But since you already have your +4 to STR from IPA (STR) and then use Kamikaze, you'd be at +6. ;)
No

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <03-06-15/1136:58> »

Depends on which rules interpretation your table uses.  If the table is using the rules interpretation provided by Aaron, which is a much older interpretation, then yes you'd be at +6.  If you're using the rules interpretation provided by Bull, then you'd still be at +4.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <03-06-15/1316:30> »
Would be handy to know if Bull's one for Missions is because of the one-off nature of missions or view on maximum generally.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <03-06-15/1320:27> »
Doesn't matter which increase you get fist.
And it doesn't matter if drugs can exceed the limit or not.

Improved Physical Attribute can be stacked with increases from drugs, magical enhancements or technological augmentations just fine, but only up to your augmented maximum (SR5 p. 309 Improved Physical Attribute).

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <03-06-15/1534:41> »
But IPA isn't getting you past its limit, that's done by the drug.
Namikaze has the best answer, though: Ask the GM what he prefers.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <03-06-15/1808:01> »
But IPA isn't getting you past its limit, that's done by the drug.
No.

Using that way of thinking it would for example also be OK to install wired reflexes rating 3 augmentation and then activate your improved reflexes level 3 adept power for a total boost of +6 to reaction.........  ;)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <03-09-15/1821:34> »
Just thought I'd pass along some info I got from Bull (who doublechecked with Jason):

"Augmented" is a global term to mean "Anything that boosts your stat above it's normal skill".  Probably not the best term for it, to be honest, since "Augmentation" in 4th ed referred largely to cyber/bio.  <shrug>  Anyway, it was designed to cap out stats a bit and put some emphasis back on natural stats again.

It was mainly a policy meant to fix an issue in 4th ed where a human could have a 1 natural, but still reach a 9 max attribute by slotting enough crap in place.  Which felt very weird and wrong.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #44 on: <03-10-15/0157:53> »
Ah, so that would include drugs.

Oh well, there go my plans for world domination.

Again.
That's just like... your opinion, man.