NEWS

[SR5] Just how concealable is a machine pistol?

• 54 Replies

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <12-26-14/1159:19> »
Suppression is great, the no recoil, penalties to all in the cone of fire, plus base (not staged) damage is great. If nothing else it slows down the enemy long enough to get out. As far as machine pistols go, one of the best is the Remington Suppressor ( acc 6 7p -1 AP 15 mag) only issue is no full auto (SA/BF), but come with a suppressor ($500 for free and removable), not restricted, and around ¥700 at most. Hits like a weak heavy pistol, similar magazine size as light pistols. Similar stats as Colt Government 2066, but with BF and a suppressor for an extra ¥375 and one less availability (6R) same concealability.

*starts drooling* Where can I find this marvel of technology?

Gun Haven 3, pg. 9.

But Hard Exit prefers the Crusader!  :P
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <12-26-14/1213:30> »
Ooooh, nice...

But I still want my Manhunter :P.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <12-26-14/1417:26> »
Ooooh, nice...

I'd like to be able to modify the fire modes again. Full-auto heavy pistol FTW!

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #33 on: <12-26-14/1435:41> »
To go back to the premise of the OP, I think that Automatics are touted as generally the best firearms skill because they cover such a wide variety of shooting situations.  You can use a Machine pistol for up close work, or an assault rifle for your kick-in-the-door on the corps runs.  And for what's that's worth, it's true, but I think it's unfair to judge machine pistols on situations to which they're not geared for, namely posing as average Jane wageslave to sneak into a corp.  For that, you really want to stick with tasers or holdouts, and it could be wise to add skinflaps, etc. to even do that work.  Your machine pistol will do just as well as a heavy pistol for walking around town, but I wouldn't want to try boarding a plane with either.

If you're running, or in, a game that relies on a lot of subterfuge, then pistols are probably king.  If you're running, or in, a game where subtlety isn't very useful, go automatics, and if your game is a mixture of the two, then it's probably a good idea to invest in multiple firearms skills -- or beef up your unarmed combat skills.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <12-26-14/1505:47> »
What if you just want to be tacticool?
« Last Edit: <12-26-14/1509:59> by Lusis »

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #35 on: <12-26-14/1646:48> »
Gun H(e)aven 3. Has both SR5 and SR4a stats for about 30 or so weapons. Some are really nice, such as the Remington Suppressor, Colt Secret Agent (I think that is its name, light pistol with 8p damage, but super small magazine size (8)), Colt Inception, an assault rifle while lacking full auto and only AP -1 has an acc 7(8) I think and can be used as a club (yeah, melee harding). And also has a good selection of sports rifles, one of the cheapest and hard hitting LMGs, and a flame thrower. Enjoy.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #36 on: <12-26-14/1720:01> »
lol "Fire three rounds and roll Performance"

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <12-26-14/1751:06> »
lol "Fire three rounds and roll Performance"
Heh. You could totally go off on "Shadowcool" in the SR world.

So. Many. Posers.  :P

(That's one for the Fan Fiction though)

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <12-29-14/1223:51> »
Now I've got images of some beefy sam pulling an ingram smartgun out of his leg, Robocop style!
I've always loved that image.  Sadly I usually only get Arms, not Legs

That's when you go with the concealed compartment with an articulated concealable holster in the upper cyber arm -- Predator style!  8) Custom work to be sure.  ;)

I still miss my Colt Manhunter too!

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <12-29-14/1238:18> »

That's when you go with the concealed compartment with an articulated concealable holster in the upper cyber arm -- Predator style!  8) Custom work to be sure.  ;)

The largest weapon a Cyberarm Slide can hold is a light pistol.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-29-14/2025:40> »

The largest weapon a Cyberarm Slide can hold is a light pistol.
And a Large Smuggling Compartment "can hold something the size of a heavy pistol or small SMG". Neither will fire the weapon for you, which is probably why cantrip said that it would have to be "custom work".

Something along the lines of the the Articulated Weapon Arm or External Mount from 4th Edition's Augmention, combined with a smuggling compartment.

The Articulated Weapon Arm had to be mounted on a cybertorso and could mount up to a light machine gun (i.e. more like the Predator's plasma cannon), while the External Mount was not articulated and external (obviously), but I'd absolutely allow a smaller version that could hold an SMG weapon and could be concealed within a large smuggling compartment. I hereby present, CLAWS!

Custom Light Articulated Weapon System (aka CLAWS): Capacity 5, Availability 24F, 12,000¥

Game Mechanics:
Requires smartgun system equipped weapon and smartlink enabled user to operate; requires a Complex Action to Ready Weapon (Simple Action if Wireless); includes large smuggling compartment which can hold no other items but grants -10 Concealability when weapon is stowed; has full range of motion as per Articulated Weapon Arm.

Houseruled, sure, but totally plausible in my opinion, and this is just something I slapped together in 5 minutes. My point is, the rules exist only to form a baseline for enjoyment of the game. We as players and GMs are entirely free to come up with additional content on our own purely because we think it is cool and/or missing from the current rules...

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #41 on: <12-30-14/0918:32> »
That looks like a cool piece of gear, although I'd argue the Availability should be more like 18-20F.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <12-30-14/0929:44> »
My point exactly. It's custom gear; you can make it whatever  you want. There doesnt have to be a consensus as long as it fits your table

As for my reasoning; the Articulated Weapon Arm from Augmentation is 24F while the External Mount is 16F. Considering this is a custom made, concealable, though smaller, version of the AWA I chose 24F as the base to represent its highly specialized and rare nature.

Anyway, this is getting somewhat off topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

Glaive

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <12-30-14/2230:06> »
So I just realized my math is off. The concealed holster reduces the concealability by 1, not 2. Oopsie. So yeah, its actually a bit harder to conceal things than I was making it out to be.

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <12-31-14/0121:45> »
So I just realized my math is off. The concealed holster reduces the concealability by 1, not 2. Oopsie. So yeah, its actually a bit harder to conceal things than I was making it out to be.

It's -2 if you turn the wireless on though! So you're half right!

Core p431
Concealable holster: This small holster can be worn
on the ankle, clipped to the forearm, in the small of the
back, or anywhere else it’s unlikely to be seen. The concealable
holster adds –1 to the item’s Concealability (p.
419). Only pistols and tasers fit in a Concealable Holster.
Wireless: Wireless sensors and a smart-fabric coated
weave allow the holster to alter color and texture in real
time adding an additional –1 to the item’s Concealability.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"