NEWS

[SR5] Just how concealable is a machine pistol?

• 54 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-25-14/0945:39> »
Or invest in a decent fake licence for your regular pistol (machine pistols might be a bit much here, but an Ares Predator is possible) and just carry it open.  Beat cops will probably ask your licence, but if it's okay, they won't annoy you too much (if you have the correct clothes, vehicle and looks for the area you're in of course).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

The other Bandit

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <12-25-14/1000:58> »
Ok back in 3rd edition I was kind of a stickler for the concealment number for items and was thinking quite alot how to get it as high as possible whlie still having the firearm/item reasonably fast at the ready.

In one Shadowrun short story there was an orc street sam hiding his H&K G3 analog assault rifle under his duster with a sling, one bulltet chambered and without the magazine to make the profile of the gun slimmer. When dreck hit the fan he drew back the duster with one hand, grabbed a magazine with the other, up goes the rifle and in the magazine and he was ready to rock. Quite neat and pretty cool to describe.

Now what would you think is the concealment modifier in SR5 for a firearm without the magazine?

In most hold out, light and heavy pistols it should not make a big difference, but machine pistols and smgs could greatly benefit from it.

What do you people think?

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <12-25-14/1014:12> »
Or invest in a decent fake licence for your regular pistol (machine pistols might be a bit much here, but an Ares Predator is possible) and just carry it open.  Beat cops will probably ask your licence, but if it's okay, they won't annoy you too much (if you have the correct clothes, vehicle and looks for the area you're in of course).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't SINs always displayed via AR? If so, wouldn't cops have access to licenses and other info without asking? Though if you are open carrying, you might want to make that license public.
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <12-25-14/1021:25> »
Ok back in 3rd edition I was kind of a stickler for the concealment number for items and was thinking quite alot how to get it as high as possible whlie still having the firearm/item reasonably fast at the ready.

In one Shadowrun short story there was an orc street sam hiding his H&K G3 analog assault rifle under his duster with a sling, one bulltet chambered and without the magazine to make the profile of the gun slimmer. When dreck hit the fan he drew back the duster with one hand, grabbed a magazine with the other, up goes the rifle and in the magazine and he was ready to rock. Quite neat and pretty cool to describe.

Now what would you think is the concealment modifier in SR5 for a firearm without the magazine?

In most hold out, light and heavy pistols it should not make a big difference, but machine pistols and smgs could greatly benefit from it.

Eh, it'd depend on the size of the magazine. Some machine pistols over 20 rounds will have a long magazine (clip) sticking out the side. like this 50-rounder:

Of course, you could mitigate that with a smaller 'starter' magazine.

The other Bandit

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <12-25-14/1038:06> »

Eh, it'd depend on the size of the magazine. Some machine pistols over 20 rounds will have a long magazine (clip) sticking out the side. like this 50-rounder:

Of course, you could mitigate that with a smaller 'starter' magazine.

Yep exactly what I mean! Thanks for the picture.

Hiding this Glock with the long magazine would surely be harder then with a 17 round magazine, but not impossible because it is long in just one direction (standard shoulder holster should do ok).  Add a silencer to that thing and there is no way you could hide it.

So you either holster the pistol with the silencer attached (shoulder holster barrel pointing down) and a short magazine in the gun and long magazine as backup in another pocket, or you holster the pistol with the long magazine (shoulder holster magazine pointing down) and have the silencer in another pocket.

More interesting are weapons like smgs which are by default bigger.

Which brings me to cyber holsters! Another poster said that they can only hold machine pistols (dont have my book handy but he is right I think). What about those colapsible smgs from Run and Gun? If I remeber correctly the count as one weapon category smaller for detection when folded or something like that. Wouldnt a special cyberholster for those be neat? Folded they are small enough to fit in there and on command the holster pops open and automaticly unfolds the gun for you to use...  8)

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <12-25-14/1047:28> »
GM's call on those.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #21 on: <12-25-14/1157:59> »
Glock 18C.

What?  I love the Glock 18 C, but mostly because I'm just a huge fan of Glock in general.  But I'm having a hard time understanding what a Glock 18 C has to do with my post.  I was using a MAC-10 as an example of a large machine pistol/small SMG.  The Glock 18 C is pretty much in the middle of what a machine pistol's size should be, and could never be confused for a small SMG.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <12-25-14/1458:43> »
Glock 18C.

What?  I love the Glock 18 C, but mostly because I'm just a huge fan of Glock in general.  But I'm having a hard time understanding what a Glock 18 C has to do with my post.  I was using a MAC-10 as an example of a large machine pistol/small SMG.  The Glock 18 C is pretty much in the middle of what a machine pistol's size should be, and could never be confused for a small SMG.

Relax. Just mentioning it, since it's another kind of RL machine pistol.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #23 on: <12-25-14/1858:33> »

Heavy pistols and machine pistols have the same concealability in SR5 according to the table in the gear section. So if your hidin compartment can fit a heavy pistol it should fit a machine pistol as well.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #24 on: <12-25-14/2042:26> »
Now I've got images of some beefy sam pulling an ingram smartgun out of his leg, Robocop style!
I've always loved that image.  Sadly I usually only get Arms, not Legs

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #25 on: <12-25-14/2044:25> »
And on another note, can you get concealed holsters for bigger guns? 
Only Tasers & all the Pistol sizes.  So nothing SMG or Larger.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #26 on: <12-26-14/0120:22> »

Context would go a long way toward preventing communication errors.  For instance, I could say:

Uzi III.

But maybe I'm trying to say what kind of weapon might be useful for spraying a bus.  Or maybe I'm suggesting a top-notch Israeli-made SMG.  Or I could just be having a case of finger-Tourette's. 
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #27 on: <12-26-14/0251:20> »
In my experience, concealability ratings don't come up nearly as often as the GM saying "Okay, who's carrying anything bigger than a pistol?  No one?  Alright, no one hassles you."  When the GM wants to disarm the team via weapon scanners and detailed security, that's what happens -- whether it's a machine pistol, a heavy, or a light, doesn't matter once real scrutiny is involved. 

*shrug*

Mileage varies, as always.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <12-26-14/0851:56> »

Context would go a long way toward preventing communication errors.  For instance, I could say:

Uzi III.

But maybe I'm trying to say what kind of weapon might be useful for spraying a bus.  Or maybe I'm suggesting a top-notch Israeli-made SMG.  Or I could just be having a case of finger-Tourette's.

Your wound-up way too tight.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <12-26-14/1144:49> »
Suppression is great, the no recoil, penalties to all in the cone of fire, plus base (not staged) damage is great. If nothing else it slows down the enemy long enough to get out. As far as machine pistols go, one of the best is the Remington Suppressor ( acc 6 7p -1 AP 15 mag) only issue is no full auto (SA/BF), but come with a suppressor ($500 for free and removable), not restricted, and around ¥700 at most. Hits like a weak heavy pistol, similar magazine size as light pistols. Similar stats as Colt Government 2066, but with BF and a suppressor for an extra ¥375 and one less availability (6R) same concealability.

*starts drooling* Where can I find this marvel of technology?