NEWS

My Player is a Vampire

• 33 Replies

OneofSorrow

• Chummer
« on: <09-30-13/1732:52> »
Need some advice on how to deal with a particular problem that I have come across.  Now I admit I am a nice person by nature and I hate to tell someone no and I like strange and unusual thing but one of my players, using 4th edition rules.  Made a character and it just happens to be a vampire.  Now I warned him that he would have to hide his condition from about everyone and their mother cause of a hefty 75,000 nuyen bounty on his head and he says he can handle it but this and I was hoping to ask for advice on how to make it challenging for a team that has a vampire on it.  Any advice would be helpful. 
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/2034:31> by OneofSorrow »

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-30-13/1759:41> »
Wooden weapons.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-13/1845:34> »
First, be aware that ghouls and vampires seem to be getting more feral. Even the normally sane ones realize that their grip on reality is slipping... what that means for 5e is that ghouls and vampires MAY NOT be playable characters! (Have to wait for the runners companion to see for sure)

IF this player has a history of being a problem player, then my first impulse would be to say "Make a character by 5e rules. Thanks."

If you really wish to let him start off with a vampire, then consider the following:

Essence: its what vampires eat. They lose 1 essence(magic) per week. The only way to get this essence back is to feed it off from someone else. .. and that person loses thst essence permanently! Even a vampire that goes 2 weeks with out eating is readonably healthy... but he is going to be hungry!! Kinda like you are if you don't eat for 24 hours..

mist form for PC vampires only affects HIM and not his equipment.  That is left in a pool on the floor.

called shots to the head can NOT be regenerated.
UV exposeure does damage per allergy rules... brush up on them! Oh and UV filtration IS used in HVAC systems to cheaply filter and purify air of contaminants.

Consider carefully before you move ahead.

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-13/2015:12> »
Agreed with considering it carefully. If you think it's going to mess your game up then just don't allow it. Don't allow it when you hate it, then later pick on him.

I'd treat it like if a player were playing a character who is a serial killer on the side. Most of the time, assuming the character has some skills nothing goes wrong and the vampire gets their essence snacks. This cuts down on bookkeeping. But every once in a while there are problems and twists releated to their snacking. And sometimes you might use it as a springboard for adventures. Maybe the person snacked was a loved one of someone dangerous or influential. 

By the way, when I saw that title all I could think of is that the world is a vampire.

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-13/2031:49> »
Also keep in mind that if there are Vampires there should also exist a whacko sect that has become hell bend on the destruction of those abominations, also dragons particularly hate Vampires they are some of the few creatures that could kill them by making just 6 points of unresisted essence drain, make it hard for him to hunt, if he is shot on a mission and receives physical damage the presence of the virus will be a "Huge" signal for the corps or other groups and a forewarning for future attacks. Be creative, being a Vampire is cool but you are on the sixth world one news photo or video or something and he will have gropies and assasins on his tail (effectively terminating his carrear)
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Shamie

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-13/2132:14> »
Also keep in mind that if there are Vampires there should also exist a whacko sect that has become hell bend on the destruction of those abominations

Like hunters... or a blonde adept  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpQud1vlni8

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-13/2135:54> »
Also keep in mind that if there are Vampires there should also exist a whacko sect that has become hell bend on the destruction of those abominations

Like hunters... or a blonde adept  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpQud1vlni8

SO MUCH YES! sonsaku you just made my day! now i will have to create an Adept Buffy! XD Oh this will be epic!
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-30-13/2136:43> »
...also dragons particularly hate Vampires they are some of the few creatures that could kill them by making just 6 points of unresisted essence drain...
Dragons (and some other critters) are not limited to only have a 6 Essence - in fact, most in the SR5 book have 10 Essence.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #8 on: <09-30-13/2154:32> »
Be creative, being a Vampire is cool but you are on the sixth world one news photo or video or something and he will have gropies and assasins on his tail.
Awsome ideas about the vampire groupies. Give him something like a cross between goth kids and the people on the Following. Vampire posers? Hahah.

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-30-13/2222:06> »
...also dragons particularly hate Vampires they are some of the few creatures that could kill them by making just 6 points of unresisted essence drain...
Dragons (and some other critters) are not limited to only have a 6 Essence - in fact, most in the SR5 book have 10 Essence.

Ok sorry i was thinking in SR4 my knowledge of SR5 is minimal at best!

Be creative, being a Vampire is cool but you are on the sixth world one news photo or video or something and he will have gropies and assasins on his tail.
Awsome ideas about the vampire groupies. Give him something like a cross between goth kids and the people on the Following. Vampire posers? Hahah.

In my SR4 World there is an Urban Brawl super star that happens to be a Public Vampire, he seeked refuge in the media, and also come on! its a perfect sport for him, he gets to eat his opponents and a few bites from his groopies that would love to gave (man and woman alike) to himself.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-30-13/2238:04> »

The generic Great Dragon in SR4A (not one of the named ones) has 12 Essence.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

WrongConcept

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <09-30-13/2252:43> »

The generic Great Dragon in SR4A (not one of the named ones) has 12 Essence.

SR4 not yet SR4A (i have it but im reading first the SR4 Basic Core) and a Dragon (normal not greater) has 6+1d6 and a Great has 12 Essence, considering the average dragon has 18 Physical wounds cope up with Magical armor if not hardened, also with the sheer might of a dragon they are at least titanic targets. Vampires are the only creatures that can drain essesnce in a rather alarming rate, also essense loss is permanent wich will diminish the dragons magic, also a dragon in metahuman form or sleeping are easy preys of this kind of attack, i don't say its easy but is a viable way, almost the only viable way that dosen't involve some serious hardware or some instant death draining spell.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <09-30-13/2302:13> »
There are some things that I do think should be brought back from older editions. One of which applies to this thread.

1: The restriction that Ghouls are the only playable Infected.
2: 'Ground up' vehicle creation rules.
3: 'Ground up' weapon creation rules.
4: Dikote
5: 2nd edition Initiative. (similar to what is in 5th, but not quite)
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-30-13/2311:39> »
Or they could stick the character options that don't balance well with core in a separate and clearly labelled section.

*edit* Actually, I don't agree with any of them.
« Last Edit: <09-30-13/2322:07> by Novocrane »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <09-30-13/2320:54> »
There are some things that I do think should be brought back from older editions. One of which applies to this thread.

2: 'Ground up' vehicle creation rules.
3: 'Ground up' weapon creation rules.
4: Dikote
5: 2nd edition Initiative. (similar to what is in 5th, but not quite)

you got to be kidding me with #5 right? Right???
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.