NEWS

My Player is a Vampire

• 33 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <10-01-13/0004:40> »
There are some things that I do think should be brought back from older editions. One of which applies to this thread.

1: The restriction that Ghouls are the only playable Infected.
2: 'Ground up' vehicle creation rules.
3: 'Ground up' weapon creation rules.
4: Dikote
5: 2nd edition Initiative. (similar to what is in 5th, but not quite)

you got to be kidding me with #5 right? Right???

He is not.  The argument has been done properly to death.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

WrongConcept

• Chummer
  • "This demonstrates my stupidity"
« Reply #16 on: <10-01-13/0007:22> »
I like 2 and 3, don't understand 4 and 5 and not liking the 1st, First of all Vampires are indeed quite powerfull, but at the same time they have the same restrictions as any other metahuman, Dragons are not easy targets and neither are high value targets, UV light is dirt common in the Sixth World and used in many of the daily transactions, also thanks to their lack of oxygen dismay they can be capture rather easy. However i would be very strict, each victim he consumes has the probability of being someone cherished by someone, maybe a brother that happens to know gun fu, or even the daughter of a powerfull megacorp father that was so busy working that he forgot her daughter and now wishes to kill the bastard who rape the soul of her little princess, the posibilities for Roleplaying and good histories are just to good to pass, also i deal with power players with masses of oponents or with a bit of clever thinking, make him have sudden psycotic breaks and make him feel that he is loosing his grip and he will start searching for a cure or some form of atunement, wich could be a campaing on its own.
"Welcome to the Shadows... We bake cookies on tuesdays and prepare for mass murder on saturdays, we do rest at sundays to start murdering on Monday... WHY?! my thats a stupid question, because mondays suck!" -Mad Gunner Brian

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <10-01-13/0018:03> »
I like 2 and 3, don't understand 4 and 5 and not liking the 1st, First of all Vampires are indeed quite powerfull, but at the same time they have the same restrictions as any other metahuman, Dragons are not easy targets and neither are high value targets, UV light is dirt common in the Sixth World and used in many of the daily transactions, also thanks to their lack of oxygen dismay they can be capture rather easy. However i would be very strict, each victim he consumes has the probability of being someone cherished by someone, maybe a brother that happens to know gun fu, or even the daughter of a powerfull megacorp father that was so busy working that he forgot her daughter and now wishes to kill the bastard who rape the soul of her little princess, the posibilities for Roleplaying and good histories are just to good to pass, also i deal with power players with masses of oponents or with a bit of clever thinking, make him have sudden psycotic breaks and make him feel that he is loosing his grip and he will start searching for a cure or some form of atunement, wich could be a campaing on its own.

Vampire PCs just aren't conducive to a cohesive party. With how they tend to have bounties on them, the rest of the team may very well be looking at a bigger payday killing the Vampire PC and collecting than doing whatever run is put forth.

And then there's the virus... It hasn't had much detail so far in 5th, but in 4th (since there is the lack of information for the current) it was Contact vector and the Power was such that it was unlikely that even a max Body Troll would avoid getting infected.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <10-01-13/0038:15> »
The ghoul strain was contact vector, with fluff that specifically said contact with open wounds. The vampire strain was different. At least represent it properly.

On bounties; if the rest of the team has never had a bounty put on them, and there's no honour among thieves, then that's your group dynamic. Not everyone else's.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <10-01-13/0047:58> »
The ghoul strain was contact vector, with fluff that specifically said contact with open wounds. The vampire strain was different. At least represent it properly.

I probably was thinking of the Ghoul one, but that would be an argument against even Ghouls being playable (don't cut yourself shaving if you have a Ghoul teammate).

Admittedly, with all the zombie and vampire stuff that has permeated books, movies, video games and television the past several years, I'm beyond tired of all of them, and anything similar draws every ounce of hatred my mind can muster.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #20 on: <10-01-13/0226:33> »
He is not.  The argument has been done properly to death.
Ah, but it regenerates. Just like a vampire, hahah.

Fugue states and feeding frenzies sounds like a good idea. They can avoid some of the feeding blowback when they are in control by feeding on the Sinless. Less shot of angry rich guy. Might get more angry criminal types though unless you purposely focus on helpless squatter camps.

Bounties aren't a huge issue, as you are already trusting your team with your life by running with them. However, player morals and such are worries. Even amoral types are going to think twice on trusting a known vampire. It's both a moral and a survival issue. You're already engaging in dangerous crimes. Do you really want to complicate it by making one of your teammates the equivalent of a giant bloodsucking mosquito?
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/0229:55> by GiraffeShaman »

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <10-01-13/0346:58> »
Bounties aren't a huge issue, as you are already trusting your team with your life by running with them. However, player morals and such are worries. Even amoral types are going to think twice on trusting a known vampire. It's both a moral and a survival issue. You're already engaging in dangerous crimes. Do you really want to complicate it by making one of your teammates the equivalent of a giant bloodsucking mosquito?
Just because you work with someone under dangerous situations, doesn't mean you actually trust them with anything. In my group, the majority response to the hacker going "slave your commlinks to me! they'll be safer!" has been "eeeeeeee".

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-01-13/0415:40> »
Which is odd, as the combat types get trusted with the team's lives.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <10-01-13/1126:01> »
So, as I understand it you are playing 4th Ed? I would have a good long conversation with this player before he ultimately makes his character. Something to the tune of "You can do this, but being a subspecies that is almost universally reviled in polite society is going to be challenging at best. Also, it presents a LOT of technical obstacles in just how to live day to day, on top of being a Shadowrunner".

Basically instead of simply blanket saying "NO" to all player requests in any game I run, I try and think of if it's reasonably possible to do what the player is asking, and a lot of times it isn't. In this case, it would be possible for A player(not necessarily the power-gamer you described) to do this, but beyond mechanics let's look at what it would require.

1) They have to maintain a low-attention lifestyle, as almost all Runners do. Additionally, their lifestyle would have to be modified based on their living requirements considerably(No UV light, likely out of sight of most normal metahumans, etc).
2) They have to secure a clandestine way of acquiring food regularly, food obviously being people. Now, if they're smart, they could set up and scout ahead for homeless, SINless people, vagrant communities, etc, definitely doable, but just takes time and preparation.

If he establishes the above in some decent manner, then comes the issues with being a Vampire and Shadowrunning.

1) As with the aforementioned distrust of Vampires, he will need to find a way of contacting Mr Johnsons who are willing to work with him. Granted, with a team this is easier, as another person can secure the job and leave him out of that aspect. However, if a Johnson who has a hate-on for the undead finds out he's on the team, there could be fallout afterwards, betrayal, etc.
2) All Runners try to actively avoid getting spotted on a job, data trails, getting their face on a camera, etc, however a Vampire would have this multiplied. He not only has to worry about being identified as a member of the SINless community of Runners for hire, but as a very real and present threat within said community. Yes, sometimes certain Vampires and Ghouls and such are more accepted by other denizens of the shadows, but not always. Getting made on a job for him would be magnitudes worse than for another member of the team, in all likelihood.
3) Let's assume for a moment the team gets screwed by a Johnson, or a run goes wrong, or somehow they get Lone Star/Knight Errant/etc after them. For regular Runners, this may constitute a detective investigating and asking questions, or a private eye watching them for someone, or maybe even S.W.A.T. kicking in their door if shit gets really real. Now, add an anonymous tip in that one of the suspects is a Vampire. Immediately you likely have a High Threat Response team, backup ready at the drop of a hat, etc. Basically, threats like that are taken seriously. So for him, when it rains, it pours.

Sorry to rant, but these are all reasonable considerations your player SHOULD have. If he is ready to deal with them, and is willing to play smart and make preparations and plan ahead, it can absolutely work, and he might have the time of his gaming life. Might also go horribly, horribly wrong for him in a very short amount of time.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

OneofSorrow

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <10-01-13/1211:54> »
Having read all the board feedback, which I thank everyone for, I am going to have a little sit down with the player and make this very clear.  If he still wants to go through with this after the abundant information that Magnaric and others have given me he is going to be in for a rough run because of being a hemovore. 
If he still wants to go through with it I won't stop, he is just going to have to be extra careful about being as covert about his powers as possible.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #25 on: <10-01-13/1225:04> »
Having read all the board feedback, which I thank everyone for, I am going to have a little sit down with the player and make this very clear.  If he still wants to go through with this after the abundant information that Magnaric and others have given me he is going to be in for a rough run because of being a hemovore. 
If he still wants to go through with it I won't stop, he is just going to have to be extra careful about being as covert about his powers as possible.

I think a better qyestion might be "why play a vampire?"

To which (if you dig a little) will end up being: "cause with mist form I can go anywhere to escape or break in, and with regeneration I am unkillable!!"

And thst is not a conductive attitude for a team based game.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #26 on: <10-01-13/1252:15> »
Just a note to the title of this thread...
OP: You are lucky that you dont have to deal with Vampire character, those are quite overpovered. Vampire players, on the other hand...
 ;D  ;D  ;D

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #27 on: <10-01-13/1351:16> »
On the trust issue. You aren't just trusting them to fight with you. You're trusting them not to rat. You're trusting them to spot dangers accurately and report them to you accurately. You might have to live for days and weeks in a safehouse with them and you have to sleep sometime.a  (Yikes, just realized how crazy that would be with a vampire)

The ratting issue is huge. You're entering a criminal conspiracy. You wouldn't even sell pot with people you didn't trust.

Not that it is impossible. Just the trust barrier is higher. I wouldn't say toss a vamp in with a random group of runners as games are often set up. There's a good chance the vamp would be attacked or the like.
« Last Edit: <10-01-13/1354:04> by GiraffeShaman »

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #28 on: <10-01-13/1437:34> »
I believe it's not unreasonable for characters to draw the trust line at "He thinks of me as food."
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #29 on: <10-01-13/1442:28> »
On the trust issue. You aren't just trusting them to fight with you. You're trusting them not to rat. You're trusting them to spot dangers accurately and report them to you accurately. You might have to live for days and weeks in a safehouse with them and you have to sleep sometime.a  (Yikes, just realized how crazy that would be with a vampire)

The ratting issue is huge. You're entering a criminal conspiracy. You wouldn't even sell pot with people you didn't trust.

Not that it is impossible. Just the trust barrier is higher. I wouldn't say toss a vamp in with a random group of runners as games are often set up. There's a good chance the vamp would be attacked or the like.

The Vamp is ash.

Just saying :P

When I play, I usually play a mage.  And the FIRST time a run went south and I was faced with having to shack up in a safe house for 3 weeks to a month with a fucking VAMPIRE for the heat to die down? Yep, ASH! The first day. While it was Hybernating it would be targeted with an other cast, Edge enforced flamethrower (NO regenerating THAT, vampie!!!).

After all, we are not talking about just an other professional criminal here, we are talking about a highly skilled, trained MONSTER that eats the souls (essence) of PEOPLE. and now it's locked up in a safehouse..... with me... a juicy, essence filled juicebox as the only food at hand....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.