NEWS

Sirrurg and EuroAir Flight 329

• 31 Replies

Tagz

• Omae
« on: <08-26-13/1753:43> »
So I'm looking to do a plot line that involves a cold case.

The attack on EuroAir Flight 329 seems like a good one.  It's high profile, big names involved, and everyone knows part of the story but not the whole picture.  Also there's the great moment of fear when the players find out that the info dug up might earn them a place on a Great Dragon's bad side (even if he is out of the picture at the moment).

I've checked out what I can and I can't find anything cannon about it, but I'm not the best at finding this sort of info.  Is there anything written about this event beyond what's common knowledge or do I have free reign creatively?
« Last Edit: <08-26-13/1756:09> by Tagz »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-26-13/1824:49> »
The only additional source I remember is Dragons of the Sixth World, page 173-174.

Slightly related and possibly useful, Shadows of Europe mentions Euroair is a subsidiary of ESUS. Details that didn't make it into the book include Euroair office being in Bern, Switzerland, and that ESUS did not yet had extraterritoriality at the time of the attack, only receiving AA status from the Corporate Court in 2048.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-26-13/1956:05> »
I believe I remember reading that there was a mage on board, who, while he lost eventually, was able to hold Sirrurg at bay for at least a time. I remember it being speculated that this mage may well have been the target all along and the flight was collateral damage.

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #3 on: <08-26-13/2010:34> »
It never said whether the mage lived or not.  As a matter of fact, it says very little about the bodies at the crash site, and you would think that anything about that would be all over the news for a good long while, but there's practically no coverage of the event beyond that news blurb.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #4 on: <08-26-13/2147:35> »
IIRC the mage was an IE who was one of the downtime dragon hunters.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Silence

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-26-13/2154:49> »
Do you have a reference for that?  I agree it makes sense, because Sirrug was not known for precise violence against people, and I always suspected the mage was Sirrug's target, not the rest of the plane.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <08-26-13/2202:32> »
I'll try to track it down, but a bunch of my books got shipped off.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-27-13/0331:35> »
I want to say it's the 6WA, but the second mention of that attack suggests that Sirrurg attacked it because of the mage and further speculated that he was, or was related to, a down-cycle hunter.

Sirrurg's never commented on it himself, mind you. He's a shy one, that dragon. Hasn't been heard of since that incident.

*cough*

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-27-13/0434:12> »
The attack was over the north Atlantic. The crash site is a bloody mess of cold, likely toxic (given the region) shit water.

I just noticed that none of the SR4 books mention that EuroAir Flight 329 was flying from London to Atlanta. (SR2, 29)

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-27-13/1423:02> »
how on earth do you go from London to Atlanta over Sirrurg's territory? There's a story right there.

Silence

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-27-13/1431:20> »
Hence, my thoughts on Sirrug being after somebody on the plane.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-27-13/1519:40> »
how on earth do you go from London to Atlanta over Sirrurg's territory? There's a story right there.

Sirrurg is a global terrorist. The whole Earth is "his territory."

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-27-13/1736:14> »

Here're a couple of interesting tidbits to run with about that.

The attack was the first known sighting of Sirrurg, who was unknown at the time. If he was awake and active before that, it was well hidden, which isn't his usual MO.

The next time he's seen is a decade later, in Amazonia, with two other Great Dragons, stomping a mudhole in Aztechnology forces. Hulupa is the second, but the third's never been identified. Lots of speculation, no confirmation. He stays active there for decades, until he seems to have broken away at some point in the 2070's. He may, or may not, still have assets in Amazonia, and what other lairs he might have are unknown.

(As for the Third Dragon, Pobre, Hestaby, and the RainQueen are the three names that usually float around, but, there are other options.)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-27-13/1743:58> »
The attack was the first known sighting of Sirrurg, who was unknown at the time. If he was awake and active before that, it was well hidden, which isn't his usual MO.

The next time he's seen is a decade later, in Amazonia, with two other Great Dragons, stomping a mudhole in Aztechnology forces. Hulupa is the second, but the third's never been identified.
No. EuroAir 329 was attacked in 2041. Sirrurg was seen along with Hualpa and a third dragon when they were overthrowing the brazilian government and establishing the Amazonian nation in 2034.

I don't remember any specific mention of Sirrurg involvement (or any other dragon) in the 2049-2050 events when Amazonia and Aztlan invaded Colombia and Venezuela.

(As for the Third Dragon, Pobre, Hestaby, and the RainQueen are the three names that usually float around, but, there are other options.)
Dragons of the Sixth World specifically describes the third dragon as a feathered serpent, ruling out Hestaby. Arleesh is suggested.
« Last Edit: <08-27-13/1751:54> by Nath »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #14 on: <08-27-13/2014:02> »
Most of the actions taken by Sirrurg that got him the name 'the Destroyer' were taken as he hunted the dragon-hunters. I believe in one of the books Harlequin makes references to the 'hunters becoming the hunted'. Bringing down an entire plane to kill one mage, or destroying a train to attack a single target is certainly within Sirrurg's MO.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters