NEWS

SR5: My thoughts on fixing Technomancers

• 90 Replies

DMK

• Newb
« on: <03-26-14/1650:16> »
These ideas have been kicking around in my head for a while now. Thought I'd post 'em & let them get ripped to shreds.  ;D
  • Technomancers may know a maximum of Resonance x2 Complex Forms, whether at Character Creation or later.
  • At all Character Creation priorities Resonance grants an equal number of Complex Forms as Magic grants Spells/Ritual Spells/Preparations
  • A Technomancer's Living Persona grants DNI with any Device.
  • A Technomancer may create a Direct Connection with a Device by touching its Universal Access Port.
  • A Technomancer may specifically create a Direct Connection using a Trode Net & a Data Cable.
  • Unless noted below, all Complex Forms have their Fading values reduced by 2.
    • Diffusion of Matrix Attribute: Fading L-3
    • Editor: Editor may manipulate a File in all the same ways that the Edit File Matrix Action may. By accepting +2 Fading a Technomancer may use Editor on a Protected file without cracking the protection first. For +3 Fading a Technomancer may Edit a file with a Data Bomb without setting it off (unless the Technomancer Glitches the roll.)
    • Infusion of Matrix Attribute: Fading L-3
    • Static Veil: Fading L-1 (Static Veil is the only CF I feel got Fading right.)
    • Pulse Storm: The effects last for 1 Combat Turn per Net Hit.
    • Puppeteer: Fading L-1. The controlled Device is capable of performing any Matrix Action of which it is electronically capable, even those that would normally require Owner approval. If the Control Device Matrix Action is used the Device is treated as an Owner for purposes of activating its own basic functionality (such as a Maglock opening or locking.)
    • Resonance Channel: The Complex Form reduces all Noise by the amount of Net Hits on the test.
    • Resonance Spike: Fading L-3. Devices defending against a Resonance Spike suffer a Defence Pool penalty of Resonance/2.
  • Sprites: Standby no longer costs a service.
  • Echoes:Remove the "Upgrade" echoes and replace with the following:
    • System Upgrade: The Technomancer may improve her Matrix Attributes by an amount equal to her Submergence Grade. No single Attribute may benefit by more then +2. A Technomancer may swap which Attributes are enhanced as a Free Action.
  • Rewrite the Resonance [Program] echo as follows:
    • Resonance Program: The Technomancer learns the Living Persona equivalent of one Program per Submergence Grade. This echo may be taken twice. A Technomancer may benefit from [Resonance] programs at once, and may swap programs as a Free Action.
  • Add the following echo:
    • Improved Enlightenment: Submergence in the Resonance inspires the mind & soul. The Technomancer improves one Mental Attribute by +1 by taking this Echo. This Echo may be taken as many times as desired; any given Attribute may only be improved to the Augmented Maximum (+4).

I think there's more work to be done on Sprites, which is the area I'm weakest. But overall I think this keeps the flavour of what they were going for with TMs while making them actually worthy of all the fear they supposedly inspire in the general populace. I don't think they would overshadow Deckers with these changes though. Looking forward to some feedback.
« Last Edit: <04-07-14/1431:11> by DMK »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <03-26-14/1701:29> »
I'd stick with a service for Standby, since a Technomancer is quite capable of preparing an entire army and reregistering them to score a lot of tasks. Even if you follow the line of thought that only an initial register resets the GOD-score to zero and non-counting, they can easily manage the score of the Sprites and then have them standby, and just let them go when they become a danger and prepare new ones.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-26-14/1732:07> »
I like this one (technomancers should have a close proximity way to establish a direct connection just like deckers):
A Technomancer may create a Direct Connection with a Device by touching its Universal Access Port.

I don't like this one (why should a technomancer need to depend on munande devices such as trodes when he got a living persona):
A Technomancer may specifically create a Direct Connection using a Trode Net & a Data Cable.

DMK

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-26-14/1758:40> »
I'd stick with a service for Standby, since a Technomancer is quite capable of preparing an entire army and reregistering them to score a lot of tasks. Even if you follow the line of thought that only an initial register resets the GOD-score to zero and non-counting, they can easily manage the score of the Sprites and then have them standby, and just let them go when they become a danger and prepare new ones.
Considering that with the current Errata, a TM can have at most [Logic] registered Sprites, I don't consider it much of an issue. Even with my new Echo that means a maxed out TM would be able to have ten Sprites... formidable, but not an army. Still, Sprites are where I'm weakest, so perhaps you're right.

I like this one (technomancers should have a close proximity way to establish a direct connection just like deckers):
A Technomancer may create a Direct Connection with a Device by touching its Universal Access Port.

I don't like this one (why should a technomancer need to depend on munande devices such as trodes when he got a living persona):
A Technomancer may specifically create a Direct Connection using a Trode Net & a Data Cable.
Perhaps I was unclear: the second option is not a condition of the first. A TM should be able to use both methods, imho. If for no other reason then it's tremendously inconvenient to have to be touching a dataport while in VR to rig with the Mind Over Machine echo. (IMHO anyone who doesn't use cables when rigging the vehicle they're driving is being kinda foolish.)

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-26-14/1819:21> »
the main reason you need a direct connection is to avoid master ratings on a slaved device.
and doing that from AR is not an issue since it will be just you and the device.

a secondary reason is to avoid noise.... and while this might be convenient for a rigger
...i just don't think it fit technomancers to start using mundane devices like trodes.

he can still use trodes to make a direct connection
...similar to a rigger that use the cable directly from this control rig.

just that he does not get to use his living persona
...similar to a rigger that use the cable directly from this control rig (rather than from his commlink or rcc)

(in this case you get matrix attributes such as data processing etc. from the vehicle icon)

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-26-14/1957:51> »
Im personally not convinced that the fading in all needs to be reduced by so much.esspecially puppeteer, one of the most powerful complex forms you could have. Grantex though, as someone pointed out to me earlier, mages can stop drain easier and have lower drain values.

So ultimatly, i think the fade should be on par with control actions/thoughts.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-26-14/2023:21> »
Im personally not convinced that the fading in all needs to be reduced by so much.esspecially puppeteer, one of the most powerful complex forms you could have.

Please compare it against it's significantly better Magical equivalents - the Control spells and Influence.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-26-14/2041:59> »
Im personally not convinced that the fading in all needs to be reduced by so much.esspecially puppeteer, one of the most powerful complex forms you could have.

Please compare it against it's significantly better Magical equivalents - the Control spells and Influence.

Well the other one doesnt do tech stuff . Mind you, it can affect personas. So a rigger giving ypu trouble? Make them jack out amongst other things. Now is +4 too much? Yeah. But i think -1 is too littlr

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-26-14/2049:10> »

Well the other one doesnt do tech stuff . Mind you, it can affect personas. So a rigger giving ypu trouble? Make them jack out amongst other things. Now is +4 too much? Yeah. But i think -1 is too littlr

No, it's more useful and flexible than being limited to tech stuff.  The Mental Manipulations are out-and-out better tools than Puppeteer can ever be - in fact, they can be flat out game-breaking.  In no possible universe should Puppeteer EVER have a Fading code greater than the Drain code of the Mental Manipulations.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-26-14/2159:20> »
Cept you kindaneed LOS and such. And for the taget to have a mind, plus it gets lots more resistance checks than puppeteer has. I still agree that four is too high, but -1 when you could be forcing a guy to go into vr one turn and jack out the next turn...

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-26-14/2206:32> »
Cept you kindaneed LOS and such. And for the taget to have a mind, plus it gets lots more resistance checks than puppeteer has. I still agree that four is too high, but -1 when you could be forcing a guy to go into vr one turn and jack out the next turn...

Versus forcing the same guy to shoot himself in the head.  There's no getting around the fact that the Mental Manipulations are just flat out more powerful.  This is just a fact.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-26-14/2234:53> »
Well beyond the fact you need to use a standard action to command them with the mind cintrol spellls. Whatever that is. They are at least getting two defenses against your spell. Possibly even more if they have a faster inititive.

Control thoughts also carries a certain amount of risk with it.  You have to have LOS with it. You dont need that with the complex form. You could be sitting in the van drinking a latte, knocking people out. You can even tear down a persons firewall if its that big to give you troubles.

If anything, you're giving all the more reason why Control thoughts is ultimately under costed.
« Last Edit: <03-27-14/0029:10> by Triskavanski »

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <03-26-14/2304:47> »
I'd personally like to see more development of the technomancers. I never heard of them until buying the new SR5 last month. I'm a magic user at heart, but technomancers have gotten me interested in the Matrix after all these years. I know it's not actually magic...but it's LIKE magic in the Matrix. Good enough for me :)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-27-14/0040:47> »
I'd personally like to see more development of the technomancers. I never heard of them until buying the new SR5 last month. I'm a magic user at heart, but technomancers have gotten me interested in the Matrix after all these years. I know it's not actually magic...but it's LIKE magic in the Matrix. Good enough for me :)

Skipped SR4, I take it?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <03-27-14/0208:17> »

Skipped SR4, I take it?

haha, yup!

Register