NEWS

Shadowland?

• 34 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« on: <09-18-13/1102:39> »
Since the nostalgia train is in full swing with 5th edition, will we see a return of Shadowland-style postings? Where anyone who can hack their way in (or scores an invite) can post?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #1 on: <09-18-13/1128:00> »
Since the nostalgia train is in full swing with 5th edition, will we see a return of Shadowland-style postings? Where anyone who can hack their way in (or scores an invite) can post?

From what is said in the core rulebook, I get a feeling the philosophy of the "new" Jackpoint is much closer to the old Shadowland.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

SpyroD

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-18-13/1157:20> »
I don't really like all that nostalgia around... and I'm an old boogie of the gaming side...

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <09-25-13/2026:27> »
I don't really like all that nostalgia around... and I'm an old boogie of the gaming side...

really??

I wasn't happy with the change in slang from 3rd to 4th edition and am happy they have gone back to the "old 3rd edition" ways of slang...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <09-25-13/2128:33> »

really??

I wasn't happy with the change in slang from 3rd to 4th edition and am happy they have gone back to the "old 3rd edition" ways of slang...
Sacred cows and white elephants are rarely good things, in games or in real life. The new edition is chock full of nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, changing things that worked (if not always well) in ways that add complexity instead of removing it, while keeping things that ought to have changed but remained because people got warm fuzzies, saying that it had always been that way, so it certainly couldn't change.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Silence

• Omae
  • I swear, I'm innocent. Just ask the nuns.
« Reply #5 on: <09-25-13/2206:36> »

really??

Sacred cows and white elephants are rarely good things, in games or in real life. The new edition is chock full of nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, changing things that worked (if not always well) in ways that add complexity instead of removing it, while keeping things that ought to have changed but remained because people got warm fuzzies, saying that it had always been that way, so it certainly couldn't change.

Actually, I agree on both ends, for different reasons.  Part of the language shift back to the "old" ways helps to emphasize the difference between then and now.  Also, the new protocols get rid of a lot of the "script kiddie" hacking.  Which actually strengthens deckers, RP-wise.  The downside is I can see a lot of GMs having to run a separate game for the deckers, because they can't quite see a way to keep them integrated in the team for the real-world side of things.  Magic has actually advanced to the point of Alchemy actually working, which means no more having to improvise on the fly for magicians.  But even with that, you'd still need a spell-slinger or conjurer for those moments that weren't planned for.  Riggers are now separated from hackers and deckers mechanically.  Downside is that more specialization means less cover from another character on quite a few things, because it's become so specialized.  Any edition has good and bad points.  Good point on the older-style Shadowland coming back through Jackpoint is that now players and characters have more access to information.  Downside is that now their opponents do, too.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

"Maybe in your case, but he's a great buddy I'm leaving behind." - Siouxsie

SpyroD

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-26-13/0108:46> »
On the side of slang I'm with you, I like that better and if some return is not bad for me, I understood it can be  NEVER as before because the world advance and all change. On that point I'm against to ALL the changes that hinder technology, all the technologic advances that come in just CAN'T come out with a stroke of a line except in case of a catastrophe(that not happened, yet). Yeah nanotechnology and skinlink I'm pointing at YOU.

Another thing make me cringe is HOW the decker returned, I'm not arguing the return of the Decker style but how, in two month or so ALL the matrix infrastructure changed at the point that Slamm-0! (not the last of the hacker there) got shunted off part of the Matrix from a day to another when you have to change apparatuses that mean months of work if not all the antennas around and this in all the world (Yeah I know happened the same after the second crash, don't like that transition either).

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-26-13/0116:32> »
On that point I'm against to ALL the changes that hinder technology, all the technologic advances that come in just CAN'T come out with a stroke of a line except in case of a catastrophe(that not happened, yet). Yeah nanotechnology and skinlink I'm pointing at YOU.

Yeah, that stuff shouldn't have happened, period.

Another thing make me cringe is HOW the decker returned, I'm not arguing the return of the Decker style but how, in two month or so ALL the matrix infrastructure changed at the point that Slamm-0! (not the last of the hacker there) got shunted off part of the Matrix from a day to another when you have to change apparatuses that mean months of work if not all the antennas around and this in all the world (Yeah I know happened the same after the second crash, don't like that transition either).

At least with the second crash it was more building on things already beginning to be put into place. With this latest one, it just seems like something thrown together just to get an excuse to bring decks back...
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #8 on: <09-26-13/0119:32> »
I didn't like De La Mar from the beginning.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Silence

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-26-13/0121:01> »
Oh, there were storyline reasons for the new change, and it's not a complete rewiring, it's a serious change in the security protocols.  And there were hints of it before Jet Set.  Jet Set is where people really started to peg to what was going on.  And there's a LOT of people out there who don't like De La Mar.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend" - every instructor out there

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-26-13/0140:30> »
I am fully behind SR5 and all of its "nostalgia."

See, I used to play a lot of Shadowrun and buy every Shadowrun book I could get my grubby little hands on... and then SR4 came out and made a large number of massive changes, some of which drastically changed the feel of the setting, and despite the frequently smoother-running mechanics left me unable to play much Shadowrun (my players and I were split, unable to agree on what was good about SR4 and what was bad).

SR5 is stepping back a few of those changes and putting the setting more in tune with what it once was, but still having progress of the in-game setting take place... and it manages to get my players and I to the point that we are at least willing to play it for a while and see if we can see eye-to-eye again (and if not, then I am left with hoping they miss Shadowrun enough to return to SR2 or 3)

I'll include a brief list of things that I am referring to when I say "changed the feel of the setting":
1. Universal Magical Theory - The differences between Shaman and Hermetic were fun and interesting, and added meaningful choices to what kind of "full magician" you were going to play
2. Augmented Reality Hacking - The whole point was "to get the decker actually out there in the meat with his team," or to phrase it differently, to fix a problem that didn't exist
3. Poorly thought out matrix rules - yes, the old matrix rules are also very rough... but completely removing Attributes from the hacking equation while also blurring the lines between the Decker and Rigger archetypes is a problem for me
4. Spellcasting - Spells were big and scary in old Shadowrun; if you wanted a good chance you were going to one-shot your target with a combat spell, you had to resist enough drain to seriously debilitate yourself (you want a deadly powerbolt, you have to soak deadly drain)... and SR4 made it so you could toss around powerbolts and have solid chances to take 0 drain even though you just completely destroyed your target.

Silence

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-26-13/0217:34> »
4. Spellcasting - Spells were big and scary in old Shadowrun; if you wanted a good chance you were going to one-shot your target with a combat spell, you had to resist enough drain to seriously debilitate yourself (you want a deadly powerbolt, you have to soak deadly drain)... and SR4 made it so you could toss around powerbolts and have solid chances to take 0 drain even though you just completely destroyed your target.

As a player of a magician, I have to say no on that one.  Not unless you spent Edge on the drain roll, and then it just became a possibility.  A lot of GMs would have you have to overcome the Object Resistance Threshold of the armor before you could do any damage to the target.  And casting things at a minimum of Force 12 to affect things was pretty far from taking no Drain on a casting.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #12 on: <09-26-13/0257:13> »

As a player of a magician, I have to say no on that one.  Not unless you spent Edge on the drain roll, and then it just became a possibility.  A lot of GMs would have you have to overcome the Object Resistance Threshold of the armor before you could do any damage to the target.  And casting things at a minimum of Force 12 to affect things was pretty far from taking no Drain on a casting.

Never made my players overcome object resistance threshold for armor, doesn't seem right.  Seen a force 12 mana bolt being thrown at a target and inflicting 20 boxes of damage.... result was 1 box of stun drain.  The drain roll was edged though an dthe placyer character had the right mix of bioware to move the drain to stun and reduce it by one box.  Nasty but a lot of fun.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-26-13/1144:50> »

As a GM that actually read the rules, I'd have to say that no - not "a lot" of GMs would make you overcome the Object Resistance of the target's armor before you could do damage... because the rules specifically say that armor doesn't protect you from direct spells (note that I was talking about powerbolt, not lightning bolt - so direct spell all the way)

I saw, constantly because I have a player that has always loved mages, human hermetics with Spellcasting (Combat) 6 (+2), Magic 6, and Logic 6... and he never needed any combat spells besides Manabolt and Powerbolt - just pick whichever one you think targets the lower attribute of your target (or manabolt if you think the attributes are close/the same)

He perfectly soaks the drain of a force 8 manabolt or a force 6 powerbolt on average... and even higher force if he chose to make them limited to get extra drain dice, and it only actually takes a force 6 spell of the right type to put your target on the ground since you will average enough net hits to fill up 10 boxes.

Not to forget to mention, a force 12 manabolt is 6 drain and the above character averages 4 hits to resist drain (5 if a limited spell), so no, having to cast force 12 spells is not "pretty far from tacking no Drain on a casting."

Last note: Yes, the character is the best he can be at a particular thing at character creation... that's pretty standard procedure for many players in a system where it is not only inefficient (karma) to do otherwise, but there is no notable downside to choosing to do so. This means that "best you can be at character creation," needs to not be quite so impressive.

SpyroD

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <09-26-13/1145:55> »
I have to specifiy that I'm talking primarly about the game fluff wise not his implementation rulewise, from the point of a somewhat realistic evolution in metaplot SR had in all his edition either technology and magic MUST evolve, the principal motive SR is alive, apart from someone put money in it, is his live history, this is the difference with cyberpunk that was dead in all account, the RL take it on technology and the cultural not have all the weight has in his prime, not so Shadowrun, it evolve!Either  in the sci-fy version of science, in the magic sector and in the ideology behind all that. I'm full support either the Nanotech and UMT because is natural evolution of the things, and with that I'm not saying they are the ONLY evolution of it, a shaman remain a shaman like an hermetic and like a possession mage or all the chrome and the other "medicals".
Well color me a bit disappointed when I was hit by nostalgia books, I don't want to be harsh but well... putting the clock backward usually don't works, no technology could be "uninvented", same for magic, it's ok a bit of nostalgia once in a time but shouldn't be more than a bit. From the point of metaplot can't really uninvent anything in an evolving timeline as Shadowrun's one.
Well something like that happened, I'm not talking about calling Decker an Hacker or use the old lingo in shadowtalk, even the lingo evolve though, and SR is FAST,ask any Great Scaliness if you dare...
OK reading this seems more bad than I really think but those things are there... and I think I don't like it because was projected not at the "new" players but to sell the game to the old boogie like me but is a bit shortsighted if that, but yeah I'm doing a lot of inferences here from all the nostalgia around and maybe I wrong...

Register