NEWS

Multiple Vehicles

• 73 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #30 on: <09-10-12/0303:46> »
Don't underestimate the utility of a Scoot, or some other wee little vehicle that all the other butch runners will laugh at you for.

I used to have a Rapier, pair of pistols, ammo, armor, sword, and a few other usefuls combined in a 'storage-unit lifestyle' along with a few nuyen cash to make up the difference to a nice round number as a 'set'.  I'd then buy two or five sets and have them in different parts of the plex.

... of course, this was back when you got serious amounts of nuyen for your BP point.  :P

That said, I fully endorse the multiple-vehicle 'runner, for all the reasons said above.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <09-10-12/0704:21> »
Basically it's the least expensive. Also I believe that, in combination with skinlink, I can drive from the back seat (just for example). I doubt that I could do that with the other two options

Well, actually, with Secondary Controls you can make the back seat into a second driver's seat, in fact that's all it does :)
Or you could just buy a long fiberoptic cable and a datajack, but skinlink is better if more expensive.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <09-10-12/1214:18> »
Also I believe that, in combination with skinlink, I can drive from the back seat (just for example).

"The secondary controls modification upgrades a passenger seat
to a second driver’s seat."

So basically I could spend less to get less?... That's always an option, I guess. I'll consider it.

Or I could wire myself in at all times and get personally hacked... Either that or you are suggesting hitting a button and plugging myself in before I crash (If I understand right). :D

_Pax_

« Reply #33 on: <09-10-12/1346:20> »
You can get hacked through Skinlink as easily as through a wire.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <09-10-12/1348:17> »
Not if you are in drive by wire mode and using either one.... Right?
« Last Edit: <09-10-12/1400:39> by Joker »

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #35 on: <09-10-12/1741:56> »
Well, not unless a skinlinked hacker touches the vehicle, anyway. Or one with his own fiberoptic cable trying to plug it in. At which point you have more pressing problems than being hacked, like guns and knives.

And for the wire, you can plug yourself in first, <i>then</i> press the button to cut off the wireless part.

_Pax_

« Reply #36 on: <09-10-12/1829:10> »
Not if you are in drive by wire mode and using either one.... Right?
Right.

I'm just saying, "skinlink" doesn't render anything immune to being hacked, in and of itself.

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #37 on: <09-10-12/1933:18> »
As to having multiple vehicles...
Let's just say there was a time my group didn't think a run was complete without stealing an expensive vehicle from the opposition. those were good times.
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #38 on: <09-10-12/1955:30> »
As to having multiple vehicles...
Let's just say there was a time my group didn't think a run was complete without stealing an expensive vehicle from the opposition. those were good times.

Oh yeah.

Nothing like going in to steal a prototype for a new Soy Processing Unit and (thanks to Alter Memory) getting the keys to a Citymaster on the way out.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

FuelDrop

• Omae
  • Popping stims, it's time to go to work.
« Reply #39 on: <09-10-12/2331:27> »
Actually, I believe our crowning moments of awesome, vehicle-stealing wise, are as follows:
We'd just completed an extraction and handed over the scientist, and Neonet decided to gatecrash and spoil our fun... so we stole their escape helicopter, and left their elite extraction teams for the star to pick up. :)
Some time later we managed to piss Neonet off enough for them to send another team after us, this time a kill team in heavy milspec and heavier weapons. We had to sacrifice the helicopter to buy time, but at the end of the run we stole the helicopter they'd come in... which turned out to be an upgrade.
needless to say, Neonet was not amused...

Other vehicles we've picked up in odd situations:
1) Our rover. used to belong to some slavers who were foolish enough to put their trust in an anti-theft system. noteworthy because we stole it during a firefight with them :P
2) Our next rover: stolen during a smuggling run for the mafia from the ancients, this car was part of a road-block designed to stop us. We stole it on principle, as we needed some way to move the bodies of their cybered-up kill team to sell later.
Needless to say, we're friends of the local chop-shops :P
"When in doubt, C4" - Mythbusters. As true in 2070 as when it was first spoken.

"You're wearing WHAT?" - Group reaction when our street sam walked into a meet wearing light military armour.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #40 on: <09-11-12/0127:48> »
Oh, well, stealing is another matter.

Best vehicle to steal, tweak, and resell ever - Ferrari Appaloosa.  Used to be able to take out the ECM, downgrade it by one, sell off both the old, better ECM and the current Appaloosa, and make a truly staggering amount of nuyen - something like double its value.  Hacked a valid end-user license for a non-existent merc team operating in the Yucatan, sliced a false purchaser ticket, then hijacked the shipment on its arrival in Seattle.  Complained that 'I' never got my shipment, too.  Wassamatter, ya can't protect yer own goods?  You wanna hire me to guard 'em?

Closest Crowning Moment of Awesome Thievery: 7 container ships (again from Aztlan) packed to the gills with new cyberware, BTLs, and drugs.  If we got only 0.01% of the street value take for the goods and the ships, we would have had a high eight-figure take for the team.  That was the 'base 10%' value; scale upwards if we got a good negotiation.  Didn't happen, because the GM had to quit; mission got run so we just needed certain prototypes.  Led, however, to a Crowning Moment of Awesome for my character Hawatari, charging a beach held by a full company of Aztlan troops with two machine-gun nests - while she wore nothing but an ankle-length white robe sans sides, armed with nothing but her katana and a spirit-possessed sacrificial knife.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #41 on: <09-11-12/1139:41> »
lol, how many holes they put in her?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #42 on: <09-11-12/1158:52> »
Either a whole hell of a lot, or not nearly enough.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #43 on: <09-11-12/1204:54> »
Or both.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

_Pax_

« Reply #44 on: <09-11-12/1705:25> »
Or both.
Both is good.  :D