NEWS

Multiple Vehicles

• 73 Replies

_Pax_

« Reply #15 on: <09-07-12/1520:59> »
I also love that personal mobility vehicle, I forget what's it's called. The one where you could have drone trailers for?
  The Daihatsu-Caterpillar Horseman.  And the modules aren't trailers, they're bolt-on extensions of the core frame.

To the topic of the thread:  A car, and a truck, and maybe a PMV ... plus whatever drone array you run.  For a rigger, that should not be unexpected.  Car for day to day normal stuff.  PMV for runs.  Truck to haul the PMV and drones (and team-mates, maybe) around in before and after runs.

For anyone else .... one will do, two in a pinch.  Though I've built a character or two with NO vehicle  - for example, one is a kid, all of fourteen years old - no matter how good the ID, it's gonna be hard to convince anyone he has a license to drive.  I _might_ elect to give him a Dodge Scoot ... but even that, maybe not.  (He's why I wish there were official rules for bicycles, in fact.)

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #16 on: <09-07-12/1548:22> »
Never overlook the value of an extra, big Van/Truck w/ rigger adaptation and enhanced image windows. Or as I like to call it the "Loot Wagon".

Have one circling all the time and then just call it to the scene of the latest throwdown, like you just had to take down a go gang that just wouldn't leave you alone. It pulls up a drone modd'ed w/ arms gets out drags all the good stuff inside, bikes, guns, whatnot then loads its self back up switches colors to another delivery company and then kicks in the spoof chip and morph plates. After that it's on it's merry way to your friendly neighborhood fence and viola!! #3 Profit!!!

Yes the initial cash layout will be more for this but you will make it up soon enough.

Also if you are in a real hurry you can leave elementals behind to assist in loading and then give movement or concealment to the vehicle.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <09-07-12/1701:35> »
Just as long as the bike stored at your safehouse isn't a Dodge Scoot.

I had my group tail a suit driving one of these once, and the immediate response was, "Can we just shoot him now, please?"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-08-12/0408:58> »
Since I haven't played riggers yet, I normally keep just one vehicle, as more is impossible to fit into the budget at start-up after everything else you need for those things you're supposed to be good at.  I normally take a Comet or something similarly common, add a spoof chip, morhing licence plate and run-flat tires and that's about it.  Sometimes a smuggler compartment to stash really illegal stuff while driving around, but not much more than that.

Except that one ex-combat biker chick I played once.  She had a Contrail fitted with just about every accelation mod the GM let me have (and run-flats, and spoof chip,...).  But in that group we also had a technomancer/face and a rigger, so we had all the vans and drones we needed.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #19 on: <09-08-12/0958:44> »
Multiple vehicles because you never know what kinda run you're going to be on.

In the case of my runner, if out on a run she has a heavily armed drone gunship, with passenger modules, prepped and ready to launch. That way, if need, an airstrike or extraction is just a call away.

-k

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-08-12/1034:24> »
Here's what I came up with for my covert ops character.

Mercury Comet (Sedan)
-Anti-Theft System
-Chameleon Coating
-Complete Skinlink
-Enhanced Image Screens
-Manual Control Override, Drive-by-wire
-Morphing License Plate
-Spoof Chip

Thoughts?

_Pax_

« Reply #21 on: <09-08-12/1353:41> »
You might want to see if you can put a shielded smugglign compartmentin.  If not now, then, as something planned for later.  :)

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-08-12/1629:57> »
I originally had it as a shielded compartment, but it didn't make the cut. Those suckers are expensive and I'm at the phase where I'm cutting costs to make the character work.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-08-12/1740:53> »
I originally had it as a shielded compartment, but it didn't make the cut. Those suckers are expensive and I'm at the phase where I'm cutting costs to make the character work.

Then maybe drop the complete skinlink and the drive-by-wire.  I don't think those are really necessary for good control of the vehicle, so they can be scrapped.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

_Pax_

« Reply #24 on: <09-08-12/1915:54> »
Drive-by-wire is to prevent someone from hacking your vehicle, locking the doors, and driving you off a cliff.  You hit one little button and BOOM, the hacker trying that stunt has zero control over the vehicle.

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <09-08-12/2019:58> »
What Pax said. Also, with the skinlink I can control the vehicle from anywhere inside or outside the vehicle as long as I remain in contact with it. I can see the potential usefulness of that and it's not very expensive, but i'll consider ditching it. The character has most of his electronics skinlinked though, to avoid his signal being picked up on missions. He's the wary covert ops type. I do appreciate the advice though, and will consider it. I'll put up the whole character in the next couple days(In the character critique section) to get help optimizing him as much as I can without compromising his concept.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <09-09-12/0434:11> »
Drive-by-wire is to prevent someone from hacking your vehicle, locking the doors, and driving you off a cliff.  You hit one little button and BOOM, the hacker trying that stunt has zero control over the vehicle.

I don't have my books with me at the moment, but isn't that what the manual override is for?  I thought drive-by-wire is to control the vehicle via electronics instead of hydraulics, like on todays airplanes.  You turn the stick and electric motors move the control surfaces to do what you asked.  Necessary in unstable aircraft like the F-117 and the B-2 (that unstable thing is also an option on vehicles and I know you can have something like that as cyberware).

Halancar

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <09-09-12/0523:50> »
Drive by Wire is one of the options of the manual control override, it allows the user to turn off all the wireless by pushing a button (presumably physically disconnecting the wireless capability). The other two are full manual control, where you shut off the onboard computer completely (or at least disconnect it from the moving parts), and secondary control to have two driver seats.

_Pax_

« Reply #28 on: <09-09-12/1042:38> »

I don't have my books with me at the moment, but isn't that what the manual override is for?
  Yes.  And it comes in multiple variations.

The full name of the modification in question is "Manual Over-ride (Drive-by-wire)".

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <09-09-12/1108:29> »
Basically it's the least expensive. Also I believe that, in combination with skinlink, I can drive from the back seat (just for example). I doubt that I could do that with the other two options