NEWS

Convention and Prime Missions

• 17 Replies

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« on: <09-04-12/1545:53> »
So, I have a question about the list of coming missions in Season 4.  Are the convention mission packs and the prime missions going to be released for sale anytime soon?  Or are they already available?
I could wile away the hours conversing with the flowers
Consulting with the rain
And my head I'd be scratching while my thoughts were busy hatching
If I only had a brain...

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-12/2014:02> »
Anyone?
Consulting with the rain
If I only had a brain...

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-12/2015:57> »
*tumble weed rolls on by...*

Can I put my hand up and say that I too am keen on these?
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-12/2131:01> »
As I understand it, there are no prime runner missions.  (And I suspect the Scrambles will always be con-only because of the effort and personnel it takes to pull one off.)

There was talk of sending CMPs through the full publication, but I think the only thing to come from that was Elven Blood (Gen Con only release, hardcopy of Ancient Pawns and the Tir-series 2012 CMPs).  Since Elven Blood sold out at Gen Con (or had fewer than a handful of copies left on Sunday), I'd also imagine they know there's interest in seeing more of these...and perhaps even PDF releases.  The London-series 2012 CMPs should do pretty well in this format as well, though I'm guessing earlier CMPs are probably best left for single-mission PDF release.

Given that the main summer con season is just closing (Dragon*Con and PAX were last weekend), I'd imagine there's a recovery period for most of the people in the position to make this happen.
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-05-12/2209:09> »
As I understand it, there are no prime runner missions.
Check the Season 4 downloads page.  2 of them, all the way at the bottom.
Consulting with the rain
If I only had a brain...

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-05-12/2226:58> »
You'll note that the mentions of the two Prime missions don't have links to DriveThru or Battleshop.  They also don't have any players who've ever seen them.  They don't exist beyond a concept on someone's laptop.

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-05-12/2317:03> »
You'll note that the mentions of the two Prime missions don't have links to DriveThru or Battleshop.  They also don't have any players who've ever seen them.  They don't exist beyond a concept on someone's laptop.
Technically, neither do the final 3 missions or any of the convention missions.  So by your logic, those are nothing more than concepts on someone's laptop.

But assuming they become reality...
Consulting with the rain
If I only had a brain...

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-12/2328:03> »
Except that a lot of people have ran and played all of the 2011 CMPs, along with Missions up to 4-10, including the much squee'd over Felicia Day.  It's just the Prime Missions and the last two SRM04s that have yet to see the light of day.

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #8 on: <09-05-12/2333:36> »
Except that a lot of people have ran and played all of the 2011 CMPs, along with Missions up to 4-10, including the much squee'd over Felicia Day.  It's just the Prime Missions and the last two SRM04s that have yet to see the light of day.

Those of us elsewhere in the world have never seen these missions, except when mentioned in passing on these forums.

Alas, many of us have no idea what a 'summer convention season' actually is....
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <09-06-12/0000:25> »
Just a heads up, but I've hollered at Bull about this thread and hopefully he'll be here with the official info soon. 

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #10 on: <09-07-12/1012:02> »

DWC, you also are a concept on someone's laptop then. By this logic. :)

BTW, next summer you need to get me your contact info and you can join in on the whiskey tasting.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-07-12/2337:16> »
To the people who've only dealt with me via message board, I kind of am only a concept on a computer.

And I'll have to bring something from the local distillery next year.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #12 on: <09-08-12/0215:20> »
It's complicated.  Short answer, Elven Blood will be out in a month or two.  There are still a couple mid-sized conventions left for the year.

As for the earlier stuff...  that's complicated as well, but is being worked on.

Prime Missions are a whole bag of problems.  Short answer is that the first three that were commissioned had authors bail on them.  After that I got tied up with things, and since Prime Missions are only for characters that have been promoted to Prime Runner status and not "regular" Missions characters.  As far as I've been able to determine, we ended up with very few Prime Runners after season 3, so combined with the author trouble I put the Primes on the shelf for a bit.  We're working on getting a couple out to test them before Season 5 launches though.

Also, the website is hideously out of date again.  The joys of not having a regular webmaster.

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <09-08-12/0929:50> »
Spider monkies that know HTML and Java are hideously expensive and hard to upkeep.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-08-12/2324:16> »
Speaking as an IT person and a programmer....

About a decade ago, knowledge of HTML/ASP/JSP/CSS/Java was required if you wanted to do anything with web pages.  And the more complicated you wanted to get - such as adding buttons (oh my!) or text fields (gasp!), the more complicated it was to actually do the task.

In today's day and age, WYSIWYG editors are standard, and you can pretty much create any web page with little to no coding knowledge.  Yes, the languages are nice to know in the event you want to do something really far out (like secured socket layering or advanced transact-sql database calls), but it's no longer necessary to know these things.

As a programmer, I can't remember the last time I actually wrote a piece of code that I didn't copy and paste at least some part of it from somewhere else.  You don't need to recreate the wheel - you just need to make sure the wheel fits the car you're driving.

But you are right on one thing - we aren't cheap.  But loads of Mountain Dew keeps us happy.  :D
Consulting with the rain
If I only had a brain...