NEWS

Police and Private Security

• 66 Replies

Mithlas

• Omae
« on: <09-03-12/0252:05> »
I'm setting up a 4th Edition campaign in central NA and I'm using a city of my own modification. It involves a lot of highly delineated Megacorp territories and not a lot of overlapping police coverage because Megacorps don't like other people treading their lawn. However, besides Lone Star being "the general police goonies" that I'm not using, these are the only security companies I've been able to dig up:

AAA megacorps:
Ares - Knights Errant, Hard Corps
Aztechnology - Aztechnology Corporate Security (I also created "Toltec" for use in areas near but not actually in corp extraterritorial space)
Evo - Ivanoven
Horizon - Event Horizon (might be their high threat response unit, not sure)
Mitsuhama - Petrovski Security, Parashield
Neonet - Minuteman Security (the phone police are after you)
Renraku - Red Samurai, Securitech International
Saeder-Krupp - ProSecuritas, Sternenschutz (though whether these are internal or used outside SK megaplexes is unknown). They also have Saeder-Krupp Prime, though this is likely counterintelligence or a high-threat-response unit.
Shiawase - Desert Storm Security (though this seems limited to desert regions. Maybe Near East, if I remember my colloquialisms correctly)
Wuxing - ?*

AA megacorps:
Yakashima - Sakura Security (likely heavily involved in their naval pirac...protection)

Non-Megacorp:
Pueblo Security Enterprises Inc
Sioux - Eagle Security, often contracted outside Lakota territory and a frequent competitor for Lone Star in North America
Wolverine Security - primarily North American gun-happy "anti-terrorist" corp

*=I found "Wuyan" somewhere, but now I can't dig up the reference so I'm not sure if it was canon or a convenient misread reference. If I don't remember incorrectly, they deal with services including magic/astral security.

Is there anything that the rest of you have, either in terms of canon materials or roughly "fanon" consensus?
« Last Edit: <02-12-13/0121:13> by Mithlas »

shrike

• Chummer
  • The rep is dead. Long live the rep.
« Reply #1 on: <09-03-12/0429:53> »
If I remember right, Eagle Security Services in Denver, Paladin Security in (Portland?), Minuteman Security (Neonet), Parashield (Mitsuhama), Desert Storm Security (Shiawase), Sakura ecurity (Yakashima), Securitech International (Renraku), Pueblo Security Enterprises Inc., Wolverine Security, and thats all I can think of right this minute.
« Last Edit: <09-03-12/0441:38> by shrike »
Imar heron. Imar raen. Imar semeraerth. Imar milessaratish. Miriat tela li? Thiesat tekio tore li?

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <09-03-12/0644:53> »
Eagle is the Sioux Sector. My brain is already in bed, so I'm blanking on the rest.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-03-12/1131:35> »
MCT runs the Neo-Tokyo PD (NTPD, Inc?), I do believe.

There's a ton of security providers out there, tho, like Hard Corps and Wolverine Security. Either Vice or Spy Games has a nice big list of 'em.

Nothing wrong with making your own, of course, depending on where your game's set. "Central NA" leaves a lot of ground to speculate on. :)

Personally, I always default to Lone Star as it's kind of their gig, but then sprinkle around other corporate security as needed to spice it up a bit. KE is hired by other corps to provide security, remember, so corps that aren't known for it (Like Horizon or Wuxing) can have KE forces on hand to defend them, or hire Lone Star's own private security forces (They have a corporate protection branch that's not as well known as their city branch, but it's there).

Walder

« Reply #4 on: <09-03-12/1759:21> »
Saeder-Krupp Prime is SK's main intelligence division, but it doesn't say anywhere (not even in the corporate guide) what their police force is. And as far as I've read, there isn't a mention of SK's general security anywhere. If someone has seen something about them, please post it, because I'm pretty curious too.

Whenever I use SK, I just assume that they take a hands-off approach to internal policing, opting for discreet actions via SK Prime to deal with troublemakers. As for security, I assume they either subcontract it, or let it be handled from corp to corp in their empire.

As for the general streets or smaller corps, Lone Star and Knight Errant are good to default on, but local security corps or gangers can also be interesting if you want to convey that a corp really doesn't have much to work with.
« Last Edit: <09-03-12/1800:57> by Walder »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-03-12/1955:30> »
Saeder-Krupp Prime is SK's main intelligence division, but it doesn't say anywhere (not even in the corporate guide) what their police force is. And as far as I've read, there isn't a mention of SK's general security anywhere. If someone has seen something about them, please post it, because I'm pretty curious too.
There probably are many corporations whose security service is just that: a service. Outsourcing security for the whole group to a specialized spun-off subsidiary is by no mean the only possible option, or even the most common. Ares seems to be the only major corporations who does so.

This is clearly not the case for Aztechnology : Aztechnology Corporate Security has never been listed as a subsidiary, it's a part of Aztechnology proper. Renraku Red Samurais and standard security goons were also directly employed by Renraku regional division in the old Seattle Sourcebook. Same book also pictured a MCT security uniform, not "Petrovski" or anything, suggesting there is or was a MCT security service.

So as none of the books ever mentioned even one S-K subsidiary dedicated to security, it's becoming increasingly likely S-K runs its own security service.

Walder

« Reply #6 on: <09-03-12/2012:47> »
There probably are many corporations whose security service is just that: a service. Outsourcing security for the whole group to a specialized spun-off subsidiary is by no mean the only possible option, or even the most common. Ares seems to be the only major corporations who does so.

This is clearly not the case for Aztechnology : Aztechnology Corporate Security has never been listed as a subsidiary, it's a part of Aztechnology proper. Renraku Red Samurais and standard security goons were also directly employed by Renraku regional division in the old Seattle Sourcebook. Same book also pictured a MCT security uniform, not "Petrovski" or anything, suggesting there is or was a MCT security service.

So as none of the books ever mentioned even one S-K subsidiary dedicated to security, it's becoming increasingly likely S-K runs its own security service.

+1 to you, thanks.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-03-12/2036:45> »
I would presume that most of the corporations do security internally as much as feasible. A few however do have a security, branch, in fact I would be very suprised if there was a single AAA mega that didn't have a security company in their holdings portfolio, in whole or in part. But most of them, even Ares will likely have in house security and paramilitary forces, heck several of them maintain their own navies to protect their interests. However that's not to say that every Azzie office even at the extraterritorial level will be patrolled by jaguard guards or the equivalent. Sometimes it's just cheaper to rent out rent-a-cops from the local police provider to guard an office building handling RMA's or the ball bearing factory and save the elite paramilitary forces to guard your R&D lab
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <09-04-12/1409:34> »
I believe the old Season 2 Missions also had a Denver based security corporation named Cyclops Security that popped up a few times. They seemed designed to be very very low caliber security. I believe that season was all fan written (not completely sure though), so I have no idea how cannon they are.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #9 on: <09-04-12/2033:06> »
S-K does have its own security, or at least it did as of the 2060's. They are detailed on pg. 136 of the 3rd edition Corporate Download. S-K guards are descibed as exceptionally well-trained, rated as Superior and Professional. Most mundane guards have at least some cyber implants.

S-K is about the hardest corp to target, both due to high resources in most areas of security and the excessive use of trickery and deception as security tools. It's very common for runners to target a site, only to get there and realize too late they hit the wrong site or even a dummy site.
« Last Edit: <09-04-12/2045:20> by GiraffeShaman »

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-06-12/0117:13> »
S-K's security is detailed on pg. 136 of the 3rd edition Corporate Download. S-K guards are described as exceptionally well-trained, rated as Superior and Professional. Most mundane guards have at least some cyber implants. S-K is about the hardest corp to target, both due to high resources in most areas of security and the excessive use of trickery and deception as security tools. It's very common for runners to target a site, only to get there and realize too late they hit the wrong site or even a dummy site.
Good to know, this gives me some good ideas.

Thanks for all of the information, everybody! I don't have access to any 3rd edition materials, and while I just got my hands on Seattle 2072 it doesn't contain much information that'll be relevant for the UCAS most major southwest airport center (based on my extrapolation from pre-existing transit routes). The megacorps that have a noteworthy presence have a significant presence, due to the air transit system there as well as a couple of research centers.

And yes, I completely agree with you lurkeroutthere, that's exactly why I'm going around trying to figure out the what's what.

Walder

« Reply #11 on: <09-12-12/2207:03> »
S-K does have its own security, or at least it did as of the 2060's. They are detailed on pg. 136 of the 3rd edition Corporate Download. S-K guards are descibed as exceptionally well-trained, rated as Superior and Professional. Most mundane guards have at least some cyber implants.

S-K is about the hardest corp to target, both due to high resources in most areas of security and the excessive use of trickery and deception as security tools. It's very common for runners to target a site, only to get there and realize too late they hit the wrong site or even a dummy site.

+1. Thanks!

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #12 on: <09-13-12/0018:36> »
2 Edition Lone Star book, great read for this matter.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

sidslick

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-26-13/1034:16> »
I have a suspicion that Minuteman Security is tied up deeply in Philadelphia.  Can anyone confirm this?
Travel the world; meet new people; crush them for all they are worth!

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-26-13/1117:21> »
The ealier mention of Minuteman Security that I know of, in Target: UCAS, suggests it is headquartered in Boston or nearby.
Target: UCAS, page 27
> Knight Errant has the civil security contract for the city of Boston, and rumor has it that the metroplex is still massively in debt for some of the services provided during the summer of '52 and after the dragon's assassination last year. Supposedly. Boston's behind on its payment, but Knight Errant isn't about to drop such a valuable contract and give Lone Star or Eagle Security the municipal security contract (both of those corps, along with a dozen or so smaller locally based company like Minuteman Security, already provide service to private clients in the metroplex - and they fight over contracts tooth and nail.)
> Beantown Baby
As a side note, it doesn't mention a Fuchi or Villiers ownership as of March 2058. Minuteman was possibly bought off by Novatech because they needed security for their new Boston headquarters : the way Richard Villiers ripped off Fuchi Americas and the fact Fuchi Internal Security was a separate division maybe didn't allow him to handpick all the security assets he needed.