NEWS

Technomancer (first one) creation... using "Chummer Character Creator"

• 29 Replies

Wolfman

• Newb
  • I'm in your commlink, stealing your paydata
« on: <08-05-12/1417:16> »
I'm far from familiar with the program but managed to do his skills and stats...
Now... the character is 450bp... a 14 years old human boy... should I put Cyberwares in this bad boy? And what Complex forms should I give him?
From what I understood, complex forms are programs I'd normally put in my comlink, right?

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-05-12/1737:18> »
Whether you put ware in him or not is your choice. For every point of ware you have your resonance will go down, which will pretty much negatively affect everything you do. Since you have 450 Bp's to play with you can afford to raise your starting resonance to 6 (something i normally don't recommend) and can easier take the resonance hit your cyberware is going to bring on.

For what complex forms to take, Exploit and Stealth are pretty much the required ones, everything else is personal prefrence, you are limited to a number equal to your resonance to start so everything else will have to be threaded.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Henzington

• Omae
  • Stun rounds+Edge=Lethal
« Reply #2 on: <08-05-12/2025:43> »
I would advice against cyberware with tenchomancer.  Two of the big advantages you have over a hacker is threading and using sprites and using cyberwares your Resonance.  Also dont forget that Charmisa is your biofeedback Filter.  If you have acces to Unwired, I would like recommend using the Logic based tenchonamcer as it is by far the best in terms of synergy.
« Last Edit: <08-05-12/2114:41> by Henzington »
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

bmoham

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-05-12/2157:40> »
I think the difference between level 6 sprites and level 5 sprites is pretty significant, since  the number of optional complex forms you can add to your spites (and I think some sprite powers)  is based on resonance divided by 3 (and rounded down).
It's the difference between giving the machine sprite you have assigned to your drone targeting 6 and maneuver 6 or just has targeting 5.

But mostly it probably depends on how dependent you plan on being on sprites and threading. If you want to have your character fulfill a role that can't be done without 'ware then just realize you'll be less impressive than you can be with tecnomancer core competencies, though even a resonance 4 technomancer can have a hacking dicepool in the mid teens without too much trouble.

Henzington

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-05-12/2256:44> »
Honestly if you are going to use cyberware your better off just going hacker as there are quite a few good pieces of cyberware that can add to your hacking.
Whenever I am at a loss for I should do, I ask myself what would Michael Weston do?

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <08-06-12/0011:18> »
Ok, you guys lost me almost at the beginning...
From what I understand, Complex forms ARE skills... so do I buy them (the complex forms) with the BP I use to buy my active skills?
Sprites... Can someone give me a crash (2.0) course on those (ok, the 2.0 joke was lame) ?

About the cyberwares, I'll just go ahead and forget about those since the GM told me the character was a "pure breed" technomancer...
Here's what I got so far... lemme know what you guys think...

Henzington

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-06-12/1538:53> »
Complex Forms are your programs as a technonamcer.  Threading allows you to add to your existing complex forms or create one you dont have.  Sprites are beings of the Matrix in much the same way as spirits are.

These two abilities make technonamcer far superior to hackers as simply put you can easily get 12 dice as a mundane hacker, program 6 plus skill 4 and hot sim 2, versus 12-24 as a technonamcer, complex form 6 plus skill 4 plus hot sim 2 and possibly up to 6 from threading and another 6 from a sprite assisting you.  This assumes you have a Resonance of 6.  As threading is limited to twice your Resonance and sprites are limited to your Resonance.

One idea and my personal favorite is that technonamcer are a byproduct of people being online while Crash 2.0 was happening.  The result was a permenant change to the way their brains operated and the biological pan was born.

Also you are better off having a Logic of 6 and a Resonance of 6 since these 2 would be your drain
attributes and Resonance limits the rating of sprites and the max of your threading.  Also Codeslinger is quite useful for Compling Sprites, it allows you to retain their services for 8 hours.  Finally, if you have Unwired I would suggesting picking a stream and a paragon.  Personally I enjoy roleplay a Sourcerors and The Flow.
« Last Edit: <08-06-12/1558:35> by Henzington »

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-06-12/1546:55> »
Henzington summed up pretty well.but ultimately these are pretty basic building blocks of the technomancer experience, your going to need to read the book before proceeding further.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-06-12/1557:20> »
Ok, you guys lost me almost at the beginning...
From what I understand, Complex forms ARE skills... so do I buy them (the complex forms) with the BP I use to buy my active skills?
Sprites... Can someone give me a crash (2.0) course on those (ok, the 2.0 joke was lame) ?

About the cyberwares, I'll just go ahead and forget about those since the GM told me the character was a "pure breed" technomancer...
Here's what I got so far... lemme know what you guys think...
Since nobody addressed your core question...

Yes, you do.  You purchase these with BP the same as you would purchase skills, attributes, cash to spend, qualities, etc.
I could wile away the hours conversing with the flowers
Consulting with the rain
And my head I'd be scratching while my thoughts were busy hatching
If I only had a brain...

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Henzington

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-06-12/1601:13> »
Its 1 BP per Rating and since its 2 then Rating karma to purchase during play I would advice buy complex forms to 6 to save yourself on karma.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-06-12/1936:40> »
What about Sprites?

bmoham

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <08-06-12/2020:49> »
What about Sprites?

Sprites are electronic helpers. Tecnomancers can "compile" and "register" as many as their charisma.  Each type of sprite has a different specialty. Some are good at hacking, some are good at operating drones for you, some can act as electronic tutors, some are good at cybercombat, etc.
The higher your resonance the more dice your sprites will generally have in whatever tasks you assign them.
Basically, sprites let technomancers to have some flexibility. That's important because otherwise technomancers tend to be highly specialized, because they need to buy their programs/complex forms with karma or BP, they have resonance as an extra attribute, and they have 3 extra tecnomancer only skills.

Wolfman

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <08-06-12/2314:01> »
So, if I can image it this way, Sprites are like, in the matrix, little robots doing what I tell them to do, using my resonance as the Dice Pool to accomplish whatever task I ask them to do?
When I "Compile" them, I imagine it's when I program them, they get whatever appearance I want them to have?
Registering, I assume is some way to make a "save file" of said "programation" I did to create them?

Henzington

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <08-07-12/1636:59> »
Not quite Sprites are seperate entities that you conjure into existance in much the same way a mage summons and binds a spirit.  Sprites can assist you on a roll add their rating to your dice pool, if it has the same complex form, or perform a seperate task using its skills and complex forms, or to sustain a threading for a number of combat turns equal to its rating as one task.

Compiling is basically a test of wills between you and the sprite you seek to gain favors from.  If you have more hits it owes you tasks equal to the difference.  Registering is simply compiling but you arent limited to one sprite and the tasks it owes dont expire after 8 hours.
« Last Edit: <08-07-12/1640:12> by Henzington »

Rythymhack

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <08-07-12/2117:34> »
     For a cinematic example, in the most recent Tron, Clu was probably a sprite that the main character lost control of (my take anyway).