NEWS

[IC] Virtual Underworld 93

• 3498 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1125 on: <02-02-12/1709:15> »
>>>>>[Not going to broadcast footage over an open net, Wolfgar. We might be heading out of Aztlan after this, but the rest of the team are locals. Not going to do that to them. Know you understand. I do have my simrig running, though, so next time I'm in the big sleazy, you buy the first couple rounds, all right?

<Scream in background>

Sorry about that. There were more guards at this depot. Turned into a gun fight afterall. None dead on our side, but one hit pretty bad. And tell your Johnson that there isn't any way to 'take' a fovea, any more than you can 'take' a hole in the atmosphere. That's what we're talking about here. A little piece of hard vacuum on the astral. Makes using magic pretty much impossible, and going through one on the astral is a good way to go insane, or worse.

There! That's the last of them. Hurry and set the charges! We don't have long before the Azzies show up!

One of the Azzies was a rigger, managed to punch through the jammer we brought, and get a distress signal out. We've gotta move quick. All set? All right, let's get out of here. Madrecita, grab him and let's go. I don't think we have more than a few minutes before the first wave shows up.

Everyone in? Right, let's move! All right, we're clear, blow it! Madrecita, as soon as we're clear of the fovea, start healing the wounded, you're better at it than I am. I'll run overwatch on the astral.

<Massive explosion in the background, followed by additional blasts>

Two down, one to go, Wolfgar.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (17:08:34/02-02-74)
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
  • Between darkness and light.
« Reply #1126 on: <02-03-12/0221:05> »
>>>>>[ At the next safe house now. We've had to run a bit further and harder than anticipated. A small patrol caught up with us before we could reach the original spot. I...lost two more team-mates. One took a bullet to the juggular. he was dead before I could stop the blood flow. The other had just too many holes shot in him.

There was a time when the loss wouldn't have bothered me. Times like this...I wish I never regained that soft part of myself...I've run with these guys for ten years, and known them for longer. They were good men, good runners, and they died doing something that mattered to them. I guess that is the best that can be said. Wolfgar...I've sent you the details of their various accounts.

I'm glad we got the chance to hunt together, Miri. I would never have thought shark and wolf could get along, but when it comes to taking our enemies, both are equally...efficient.

I have everyone tucked in now, healed, fed and resting. That is the thing about wolf. We're not just efficient hunters and ruthless defenders...we also care a great deal about those in our pack.

Now...I will mourn for those I have lost, and then get some sleep. ]<<<<<
       -- Madrecita (02:20:44/03-01-74)
"There are always consequences to our actions. We all must face what we have done, and submit to the justice of the pack. It may be that you will have to run alone from now on, but you cannot begin to fix what you broke without admitting that you broke it." - Madrecita's animal twin.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1127 on: <02-03-12/0706:35> »
>>>>>[And I, for one, am glad you regained that part of yourself, Xerena. It is the ability to feel pain on another's behalf that separates us from beasts. The day the killing and death no longer bothers you is the day you've truly lost touch with what it means to be a metahuman.

I am a killer, cold and dispassionate, it is true. My blade strikes without mercy or pity, but I know the face of every person I've cut down. That is Shark's function, to slay the weak and the dying, the sick and the old. Shark is the dark angel of the sea, a bringer of death so that those that remain are better for it. This is a path I've come to accept, that the call of blood in the water will ever be near me. But that does not mean I lose sight of the cost of my actions, or ignore the sacrifices made to purify the waters, and make them ready for the next generation. Without Shark, the sick and the wounded linger on in pain. Without Shark, food becomes scarce and all the other creatures suffer. Shark preserves the balance between life and death. It is nothing personal, when I slay someone, even in the height of the blood frenzy. Shark does not care whose flesh meets its teeth, for any that cannot escape are unfit to live. But Shark does not kill without reason. There is always a need that drives Shark to the kill.

Shark knows well the smell of blood in the water, and I would be lying if I said that I have not felt that path call to me. But to walk that path is a perversion of the true nature of Shark. That is not the path of the Pale Slayer, the Destroyer. That is the path of the Ravager, and I wish no part of it.

Wolf hunts for the pack, to protect and to feed it. Shark swims alone, for the most part, but where there is blood in the water, Shark will always be there.

I am on watch now, and I'm taking this time to do my morning exercises. They help condition my mind and body, allowing me to better channel the mana that fuels my Talent. The others will be stirring soon, and then we will move for the next target.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (07:06:05/02-03-74)

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #1128 on: <02-03-12/0735:48> »
>>>>>[ What do you mean 'stirring soon'? I've been up for an hour. I must say, you look rather good doing those morning exercises of yours.

Mmm...I think all predators maintain balance between life and death. I think it's the acceptane of our nature as predators that are sometimes hard to accept...especially those of us with mentor spirits. We're more familiar than most with our inner beasts. even though we are metahuman. I think the reason shark and wolf get along is because we're both hunters. Not scavengers. Wolf can be solitary too, if need be. I have been a lone wolf for many years now.  ]<<<<<
       -- Madrecita (07:35:34/03-01-74)
"There are always consequences to our actions. We all must face what we have done, and submit to the justice of the pack. It may be that you will have to run alone from now on, but you cannot begin to fix what you broke without admitting that you broke it." - Madrecita's animal twin.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1129 on: <02-03-12/0750:19> »
>>>>>[Heh. Then I'm glad I decided to wear pants for my morning workout. When I'm at home, I usually don't. Give the neighborhood housewives a show, and they're much more willing to do small favors for you, like letting you know if anyone starts asking around the neighborhood for you, holding a package for you, or other such things. Their husbands actually don't mind, either, since it gives them a counterpoint when their wives start to nag about them watching the ladies doing yoga in the courtyard.

And it is true, the predatory totems get along fairly well, for the most part. Dragonslayer is another that often finds common ground with Shark. Even Shark and Bear, who you think would be like oil and water, tend to see eye to eye on some things, though their methods may not be the same. But Rat and Shark will never agree, and Seductress would most likely be horrified at Shark's actions.

Looks like the others are getting up. Let's get some rations, and be on our way. Another depot to destroy today.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (07:49:03/02-03-74)

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #1130 on: <02-03-12/0801:53> »
>>>>>[ More's the pity.

Wolf and seductress also would not get along. Wolf being so...restrained in some ways.

I'm glad we're hitting this one early. I feel like I could sleep for a week. ]<<<<<
       -- Madrecita (08:01:24/03-01-74)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1131 on: <02-03-12/0825:00> »
>>>>>[When we're through with this run, I'll be sure to take you someplace nice and relaxing, where we can get plenty of exercise, my dear. ;)

Well, after this depot, there's still one last target, before we finally make our way out of country.

Everyone's loading up the trucks, and we're ready to move out. Wolf, we'll tell you how it went on our way out. There's no fovea near this one, so Xerena and I will be more effective than we were at the last one.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (08:24:34/02-03-74)

My Characters

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1132 on: <02-03-12/1219:30> »
>>>>>[Heaviest resistance so far, but we came through without any casualties. I'm beat, though. We quietly eliminated several of the guards, and I summoned spirits to possess them. They, in turn, took out a couple HMGs that the Azzies had set up on a couple towers near the center of the depot. Seems they expected this one to be hit. Well, I never accused them of being morons.

Once the spirits took the HMGs out, and began spreading chaos amongst the soldiers, we attacked in earnest. I managed to summon one more spirit that fight, and had it ride my body as we fought. Thankfully, the spirit's immunity made my meat nearly bulletproof, which meant it could close to melee range, and do what it was best at.

The strain of summoning so many spirits is telling though. And the enemy mage got a couple good hits with a stunbolt in, as well. I'm lying in the back of one of the trucks, next to the captured HMGs, while they finish setting the charges. Barely keep my eyes open.

We're moving now. Our hacker says that the Azzie forces are only a couple minutes out. This will be close. We're clear of the blast zone! <Sound of several large explosions in concert> Scratch depot three, Wolfgar. I just hope we've got enough firepower to deal with the next phase of the operation. Now I think I might sleep. All those spirits take a toll on you. And that fragging mage...]<<<<<

--Iceblade (12:19:26/02-03-74)

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #1133 on: <02-03-12/1415:51> »
>>>>>[ Here they come! Here they come! Keep going! Keep it steady...steady, Chimalli. Hold your fire...hold it...NOW!  <Sound of explosions and machine gun fire> Left! LEFT! Oooooh....<static hiss> ...eady! FIRE! <Sound of explosion and screams> Mbali! Watch your back! Yes, yes...I KNOW the mage is still with them I'll take care of him. You stay out of it. It's my turn now...<gunshots, and faint muttering over the hiss of static> Nomatca nehuatl, ca nehuatl niYaotl, niquintzatzilia, tla xihualhuian, tlamacazque in yolli, niquintzatzilia ic axcan yez tezzohuaz titlapallohuaz. Tla xiquimpopoloti! <screams> GOTCHA! ¡Vete al infierno! Asshole. Finish him off, boys...Mmm...nice shot! Okay. We're done here. Casuaties?....Mmm...okay. I'll treat them now...Oh. Was this thing on? Fuck...[Error: Communication terminated at source] ]<<<<<
       -- Madrecita (14:18:24/03-01-74)
« Last Edit: <02-03-12/1419:06> by Keita »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1134 on: <02-03-12/1440:16> »
>>>>>[The damn Azzies are persistent. Seems someone wasn't fond of us blowing up their shit. We're being actively hunted now. Xerena's tending the wounded while we roll. We're trying to get to the next safehouse now. I'm still wrecked from the fight earlier. If we can't get a few hours to sleep, we're going to be in serious trouble. But during the fight our hacker told the surveillance drone that was following us to self destruct. We've managed to outpace the Azzies now that they've lost their eye in the sky, and an ice slick laid down by yours truly caused a pileup that will delay them further, but we expect more to come. This isn't over.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (14:39:24/02-03-74)

My Characters

Keita

• Omae
« Reply #1135 on: <02-03-12/1609:10> »
>>>>>[ Hehe. Don't you just love it when people surprise you? Cristobal came through for us! He's the very last person I would have expected. No offence Padre, but...you and I didn't exactly part on the best of terms. Father Cristobal here was priest at an underground church. He was...always there for me. Mmm...I never did thank you, did I Padre? Thanks for then...and for now.

Long story short...we had a dozen or so Jags running us down and Cristobal had his new templars ambush them. We got shot up a bit. It's going to take me a few hours to heal everyone. Cristobal's already arranged passage for us. He's going to smuggle us out.

No fatalities this time. But I did finally manage to conjure an ally spirit. Desperation can be a master teacher. That makes me...a fourth level initiate.

Miri...we make it through tomorrow, you can take me anywhere you want to. Well...that and if we manage to make it out of this crazy country. I hope we can get some sleep... ]<<<<<
       -- Madrecita (16:09:24/03-01-74)

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #1136 on: <02-03-12/1645:25> »
>>>>>[Guys this is great, I'm sending the rest of the money now as well as two possible extraction points. I'll actually get to meet you as well, I think as a bonus, you know what, I am. What do you think of a nice all expenses paid R&R at a beach side resort with all the amenities. ]<<<<<

//upload secure file: Arrangements
file: Arrangements is waiting for user: Madrecita

--Wolfgar (16:59:54/02-03-74)
« Last Edit: <02-03-12/1658:33> by Wolfboy »
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1137 on: <02-03-12/2139:32> »
>>>>>[Bravo! What rock did you crawl out from under?]<<<<<

-- Chrona (01:55:23/02-01-74)

>>>>>[Hey, Chrona. Nice to be missed. I could tell you, but then...well you know that old line. Been in-country for a while, still taking care of business so I can't go into detail. Just have some things to take care of before I head back out. Nice to actually sleep in a real bed and have a cup of real coffee again. And to anyone working in South America, be careful, things are getting wierder than usual.]<<<<< -- Bravo Six (21:42:23/02-03-74)
« Last Edit: <02-04-12/0212:28> by Mystic »
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #1138 on: <02-04-12/0210:21> »
>>>>>[I'm really starting to question my path. I originally thought I was an Artisian Adept, given that all my skills seem to help with driving, fighting, or social...but given that I recently fast talked my way out of 4 different bad situations in one day, I might be leaning more totem. I just..do you need a mentor spirit to be a totem adept/magician, or just take after one?

Pardon any rambling. I just got done with a long distance package run, from Seattle to LA and back. Slot the Tir and it's rules, that's what multiple SINs and a concealed compartment is for. Almost wasn't sure I was going to get through though. So glad someone decided to play an impromptu interceptor for me by trying to blast past the check point with out stopping. Amateurs, I swear. Sedan pulling 120 coming up on the check point and not slowing down. Yeah, you're TOTALLY invisible to them. At least they gave me permission to pass through the Tir on my way to CFS before chasing after him.]<<<<<

-- Card (00:09:21/02-04-74)
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1139 on: <02-04-12/1035:25> »
>>>>>[Everyone with the Talent questions their path from time to time, Card. And I'm sure any of the mages or adepts with totems here will tell you that a totem isn't something you choose. No one chooses Wolf, or Shark, or Dog. At some point you simply realize that you are on that path, and have always been on that path. The totem you follow is a reflection of your self. Someone who follows Dog is loyal not because Dog tells them to be. Dog came to them because they were loyal. I did not choose Shark. Shark came to me as I was fighting. I was young, and there were many things I had yet to learn, but when the blood began to flow and my blade cut flesh as I fought for my life against that pack of barghests when I was on my bridging, Shark was there, and I came to know what had always been true. But even when you come to recognize your true nature, there is always doubt, always questions.

Father Cristobal got us near where our last objective is, and his Templars gave us cover while we slept, even kept the preaching to a bare minimum. Causing all this trouble for the Azzies seems to made him happy. Enemy of my enemy, and all that. Decent enough, for a human, when he keeps away from the god talk.

We're rested, and ready. There's only one more job to do before we get the hell out of this country. We saved it for last, because we couldn't afford the dead weight on the other runs. Now its time to hit the POW camp.]<<<<<

--Iceblade (10:35:23/02-04-74)

My Characters