NEWS

Education and the school system in shadowrun

• 25 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <06-19-12/1613:04> »
I was thinking about running a fun game for my players were they are children in school but I don't know how the education system works in shadowrun. is it the same as now but with more high tech stuff and orc or troll gym teachers, Dwarf science teachers or a elf history teacher ?

Thinking about maybe doing a high school one would be fun also.

Are there any books that cover the education system ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #1 on: <06-19-12/1620:03> »
As far as I know, schools havent changed much, except for integrating things like Skillsofts snd Linfuasofts in the higher-end private schools. Lower-income schools would make Kazakhistani schools look advanced, higher end corporate-run private schools would fit in with the X-Mansion. Speaking of X-Mansion, magical private schools (corp-run), and prejudice against Trog staff would peobably be prevalent.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <06-19-12/1758:42> »
Schools have changed quite a bit, I think. There's a lot of talk of corporate schools, for example, a fully privatised education brought to you by your corporate family (Ares, etc) ... These schools give a nice, biased education that's designed to churn out good lil' corporate types, either datapushers (majority), execs (The football team of corp school), security, technical personel, or, if you're lucky, sift out a magician. History will be biased, general education is enough to find out where your talent lies, then you're aimed that-a-way to make sure that you serve the greater good in your future career.

Public education also exists, but that's where they bus Orks into the area. Do you want YOUR kid in class next to an Ork 'child' that's half a meter taller and 50 KG heavier that's looking to have kids by 7th grade? Oh no, you work hard and pay big fees to try and get them a right proper corporate education.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #3 on: <06-19-12/1825:56> »
I thought some corps actually even had an organized LACK of education.
It's pretty easy, keep your wageslaves kids undereducated enough to come up with concepts like "civil rights" or "overwork", make sure they lack any knowledge they might use to get employed elsewhere. Education is a great too for advertisement, make sure they learn that pancakes are made with 250gr "AllGraintm Fine Flour", 500ml "SoyGoodtm Soy Milk" and 3 "Cluck'stm Fresh Powdered Eggs" or better yet, purchased from the latest Nutrienttm Soy-Prep Food Dispenser!
When they reach 16 and are old enough to finally be able to receive their invitation to "Join the happy corporate family of people working hard to ensure a wealthy future for everyone!", offer them a chance to get those skillwires implanted. Hospitalization, costs of the procedure and an installment plan to pay back those expensive implants are provided for you with the new job contract.

I remember reading in different books that illiteracy has never been more widespread than in 2072 because of this lack of real education. Commlinks and corporate programs are operated with simple symbols, reading is no longer required for your average wageslave.
« Last Edit: <06-19-12/1903:31> by Xzylvador »

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-19-12/1852:39> »
Oh, absolutely. As noted, corp education (Edutainment?) focuses on making good little drones who don't question the corp and who swallow whatever's produced for them. Critical thinking skills aren't needed, nor are mind-expanding things, like art or high culture. Heck, home ec and balancing a checkbook's only found in the accountant path... you want the rest to be in debt (To the corp bank, of course), so that they'll stay in teh rat race and buy buy buy.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #5 on: <06-19-12/1902:16> »
Xzylvador, I remember reading that about literacy too in earlier editions.

The 3rd edition Sprawl Survival Guide has some good info on education, pg. 54-57. According to it, "Public school" is a bit of a misnomer, because even most public schools are privatized, with government subsidies taking up the slack. The quality varies, though too many are combat zones where getting out alive is more of an accomplishment than getting out with a diploma.

I was surprised to read that they mostly allow the sinless to attend public schools, apparently to fill seats and up school funding. Of course, it's probaly still hard to attend for many in Barrens squatter camps due to transportation.

ChromeZephyr

• Newb
  • Listen much, talk little
« Reply #6 on: <06-19-12/1947:14> »
+1 Giraffe, I was just going to say that.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <06-20-12/1202:57> »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <06-20-12/1228:49> »
I assume that a lot of learning is going on via distance learning on the commlink.  If I recall correctly, Horizon has programs to get cheap commlinks to places like the Barrens so that children there can learn as well (although most of those links are sold quickly enough).
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #9 on: <06-20-12/1237:06> »
Xzylvador, I remember reading that about literacy too in earlier editions.

There's one mention of it in one of these small fiction pieces that start one chapter of one of the books of this edition as well... I don't remember in which book it is, but it's about a guy who is being targeted by Picador, I guess.

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <06-20-12/1245:39> »
They also mention how this commlinks really are easy to use and they teach kids how to run icon based interfaces and kids never need to learn to read and write.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <06-20-12/1258:17> »
To cross it over a bit with modern conspiracy theories (always fun!), there's a belief that the US is phasing out cursive writing, not because "No one uses it anymore" but because they want to render it impossible for future generations to read.

How this works, exactly, I haven't gone down deeply enough into teh rabbit hole to find out, but, the belief is out there.

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #12 on: <06-24-12/1232:48> »
Given the environment a good deal of kids live in, I imagine Truancy is probably a pretty big problem along with Delinquency.

At least I did, until I began to imagine a Shadowrun Truancy Officer.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #13 on: <06-24-12/1303:34> »
Given the environment a good deal of kids live in, I imagine Truancy is probably a pretty big problem along with Delinquency.

At least I did, until I began to imagine a Shadowrun Truancy Officer.
When the Troll Truancy Officer shows up and tells you to get your hoop to school, you get your hoop to school!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #14 on: <06-24-12/1413:01> »
Well, it depends on 4 things really, the parents attitudes on education, the parents location, the parents situation, and the amount of government/corp money gets to insure a kid is in school. (This last is already an element in our real life education system) Troll jokes aside, it's doubtful the public system hires enough quantity and quality of truant officers to keep the huge masses of  kids in school. One thing they might do though is tie financial aid of various sorts to attendance. Now, I could definitely see a rich private school hiring a  troll adept to track down wayward brats. Scary.

Some education examples of various common low status parent types:

Renton Construction worker (kids in typical public school system. Corporate influenced materials and low key violence. Possible Humanis influence due to Renton's racism)

Redmond (Touristville, near the government center) : Similar to Renton, lower quality facilities and teachers.

Redmond (Rat's Nest) Squatter: Children assist local Rat shamans with junk collection and in turn learn scavenging and sales techniques.

Redmond (Plastic jungle): Communal education led by some of the residents. Also, agricultural training.

Redmond (Glow City): Home schooling on how best to avoid radiated areas, albino Troll gangers, and where to get the best free corp clothing and food aid.

Tacoma port worker: Similar to Renton, but higher quality teachers and facilities. Less violence. Possible Yakuza influence in addition to typical corporate propaganda.