NEWS

Education and the school system in shadowrun

• 25 Replies

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-27-12/2359:24> »
You just gave me a great seed for some school related runs! 

Some corp exec parent who's really severe and ambitious (read Tywin Lannister) wants to put the fear of god into his kid who's acting out of line and cutting class.  Shadowrun team is to track down kid and scare the bejeezus out of him.  If he stops cutting class the team gets a nice paycheck.

Another more gritty idea would be for a local group of businesses which are subsidiaries of some AA's and are getting robbed constantly by truant kids at a nearby Evo Urban Achievers highschool hire the shadowrunners to kill as many kids as they can as a deterrent.  Plant some drugs or BTL's near the bodies and KE will write it off as gang related.   

Or an even more gritty idea:  The wealthy  city contracted Mitsuhama Bellevue West Highschool recently hired an ork social studies teacher and he's teaching that all homo sapiens are the same.  Several wage-slave parents have complained and Brackhaven along with other bigoted city council members have caught wind and made it an issue.  They tried firing him but the Teacher's Union managed to block this move and make them look bad.  In order to sap the unions morale and also send a message to other foolish teachers, a Johnson who secretly represents Humanis and even more secretly Brackhaven himself hires the team to kill this teacher and make it look like a school shooting which ends in a suicide.  They are to pin it on a kid who recently goblinized into a troll and the experience sent him off the deep-end.
The payola is good for the job, but if they so choose the team might just decide to explore the Brackhaven connection which could potentially end in an even bigger pay day.

Tell me what you think :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <06-28-12/0202:04> »
*Cough*  Unions?  Heh.  Ha ha ha!  HE HE HE HE HE HE!!!  MUH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Heh.

Heh.

Heh.  *Slasher Grin*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #17 on: <06-28-12/0209:26> »
In order to sap the unions morale and also send a message to other foolish teachers, a Johnson who secretly represents Humanis and even more secretly Brackhaven himself hires the team to kill this teacher and make it look like a school shooting which ends in a suicide.  They are to pin it on a kid who recently goblinized into a troll and the experience sent him off the deep-end.
The payola is good for the job, but if they so choose the team might just decide to explore the Brackhaven connection which could potentially end in an even bigger pay day.

Tell me what you think :)

I think that this, right here, would make all but one of my Shadowrun characters so far commit varying types and degrees of mayhem and grievous bodily harm on the Johnson while finding out who he's a front for, and then give those guys more of the same... for free. The last would probably do it if the Johnson managed not to piss him off with a "you're just a lowly Pixie" attitude.

It's definite bleed-over from my real life attitudes, but bigotry (including the pervasive use of "gay" as an insult) ticks me off like almost nothing else. My various characters are pretty much reflect that attitude, and Shadowrun puts them in a position to be very uncivil about their civil unrest when the topic comes up.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #18 on: <06-28-12/0236:33> »
The idea of someone thinking like that Johnson gives me the heebie jeebies.

That said, most of my chars would do it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-28-12/0305:21> »
The big trick for Johnson in that is to arrange for a wetwork, but also to make it look like he has a MUCH different reason.

"Ten years ago, this bastard put my brother into the dirt. I need him eliminated in a way that doesn't connect to me. This kid here? He's recently Goblinized and has lost it. If you can pin the rap on him, nobody will look too far... the Star will treat it like a Troll 'doing what comes naturally' and will barely even investigate. If you have another way to make it look like an accident, feel free, just as long as that fragger goes DOWN."

Footwork would be needed to turn up some sketchiness.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #20 on: <06-28-12/0317:24> »
Like everyone else, I quite like the idea, except for the union thing...
I suppose some influential (read wealthy) members on the privately funded school's Parents Committee think it's all the rage to be "Pro-Metahuman" and prevent the Ork from being fired.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #21 on: <06-28-12/0825:02> »
Like everyone else, I quite like the idea, except for the union thing...
I suppose some influential (read wealthy) members on the privately funded school's Parents Committee think it's all the rage to be "Pro-Metahuman" and prevent the Ork from being fired.

Yeah I was under the impression that unions were dead and/or illegal in SR.
No mega is gonna let a union form in their  company.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #22 on: <06-28-12/1039:12> »
SR has so many worse things than unions to mess with an employer. Heck, teachers in general do, with various scholastic groups and community groups that could apply pressure.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #23 on: <06-28-12/2203:44> »
Great ideas. There are lots of pro meta groups out there, like Mothers of Metahumans. (MOM)

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-29-12/1002:23> »
Well, it seems the word "union" for people has a whole bunch of imagery attached to it.  I just meant community group....or scholastic group.  Just any organization which fights for the rights of people in their workplace.  If we look at history and what we know about human nature, I definitely think unions would exist but be completely powerless and only score occasional victories, usually with the help of shadowrunners.....but then Corps use shadowrunners to terrorize unions all the time.

In SR a big part of the setting are the protest groups and grassroots organizing....be it a policlub or a metahumans rights group it's quite clear that even if such organizing is cracked down on or even illegal, citizens in the 6th world definitely participate in it.  So just replace "union" with your organization of choice.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #25 on: <07-01-12/1818:55> »
Mommy's sims are starting!  Put on your trodes and log into class!