NEWS

Possession and Rigging

• 35 Replies

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« on: <05-16-12/1000:20> »
So, if a spirit tries to possesses a drone that is being rigged, does the rigger get to resist? Or just the drone? Would the rigger get dumped?  Or just sit there helpless?  Or something entirely different?

What if it's a spider and the spirit tries to possess the whole damned security system? :o

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #1 on: <05-16-12/1019:42> »
Thematically speaking, if the spirit succeeds in possessing the drone, it gains control. If a rigger is inside, he has control. Since a spirit cannot interact with tech devices, it cannot boot the rigger or negate his commands. So the drone would then attempt to follow the orders it is given by the rigger and the spirit would have to counteract those orders and try to execute it's own actions.

This would result in one being dominant but it's tests being penalized in some manner. I would have them each roll their tests, the higher roll wins but with only their net hits over the other controller being the effectiveness of the action, and thus the hits for anyone else opposing said action. I would also describe the drone as jerky, glowing, and altogether confused.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-16-12/1103:23> »
ImO thats not quite right. The Spirit gains control over everything Mechanical (Wheels,Robot Arms,etc) because possesion supercedes normal control
 but the Rigger retains his control over everything electronic (Firing with a smartlink, Radio,Sensors,etc ) because the Spirit has no ...Grasp or Control of Computer an Electronics
But in the End I would handle it similar to Mason

HokaHow
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #3 on: <05-17-12/0311:34> »
As described in vessel preparation, GM may want you to say exactly what part of the drone spirit is posessing, since whole drone is quite complex and hitech item.
I, for myself, would disallow this completely at my table, since every gear, whell, wing or engine part is is controled electronicaly and as such spirit has no chance to influence the movement of the drone, even if it is on its own, meaning Autopilot X Spirit situation. as most spirits has only 2IP in physical world, and every jumped in rigger or autopilot has 3IP, it is apparent for me, that spirit wont be able to manage override commands given by control systems.
Since there is only 1 driving action possible for each character, who will be allowed to effectively command the drone?
1. IP: Spirit tries to move left
2. IP: Autopilot overrides it
3. IP: Only autopilot is able to act

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <05-17-12/0700:04> »
Thats too simple thinking, your movement wont be at a point in time, but until your next action. So the conflict of control will be all the time, having more IPs wont give you any advantage.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-17-12/0734:15> »
Thats too simple thinking, your movement wont be at a point in time, but until your next action. So the conflict of control will be all the time, having more IPs wont give you any advantage.

Im talking in game mechanics. How would you solve this?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-17-12/0738:49> »
btw...what keeps the rotor spinning, when jumped in rigger decides to turn off the engine? Spirit? Yes, iti is the mechanical part but...srsly we want this? The only thing the spirit would be able to do then will be to spin the rotor. And what about driving? Or would that spirit be able to controll all mechanical parts at once?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-17-12/0815:35> »
Or would that spirit be able to controll all mechanical parts at once?
Exactly that is what  Posession is all about.
If a Spirit uses Posession on a living Body it posesses it completely. If the Spirit posesses a Vehicle/drone is posesses it completely.
If You say that a Spirit can Posess only Part of a vehicle/Drone than it can Posess only Part of a Body too
Which is....Hard to believe for me

He who dances as a whole
Medicienman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #8 on: <05-17-12/0909:06> »
If You say that a Spirit can Posess only Part of a vehicle/Drone than it can Posess only Part of a Body too
Which is....Hard to believe for me
I think sichr is mixing it up with vessel preparation, where you have to enchant different parts of the vessel, if its too complex. But if possessed or inhabitated, then yes, its all possessed as one.

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <05-17-12/0913:53> »
As described in vessel preparation, GM may want you to say exactly what part of the drone spirit is posessing, since whole drone is quite complex and hitech item.
I, for myself, would disallow this completely at my table, since every gear, whell, wing or engine part is is controled electronicaly and as such spirit has no chance to influence the movement of the drone, even if it is on its own, meaning Autopilot X Spirit situation. as most spirits has only 2IP in physical world, and every jumped in rigger or autopilot has 3IP, it is apparent for me, that spirit wont be able to manage override commands given by control systems.
Since there is only 1 driving action possible for each character, who will be allowed to effectively command the drone?
1. IP: Spirit tries to move left
2. IP: Autopilot overrides it
3. IP: Only autopilot is able to act

In Vessel Preparation on page 86 (SM) it says that each component may require separate preparation via enchanting, not that the resulting whole is not possessable.  Considering that one of the examples given is a car, and many drones are just cars with a pilot program, I'd say that spirits may possess entire drones.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-17-12/0959:46> »
OK. And now, how you will deal with it during single Combat turn.

@Medicineman: OK. When you find the body with five different auras on every part of the body, that would be what you will have to do. But drone parts are something different from Body parts, on that we maybe would even egree. For example, every part of the drone may be even manufactured by different company in the different part of the world ;)

And OK, we may agree that logic described in vessel preparation works for posession or inhabitting, but in this case it doesnt work for posession or inhabitting.
WUT?  ???

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <05-17-12/1153:55> »
OK. And now, how you will deal with it during single Combat turn.

@Medicineman: OK. When you find the body with five different auras on every part of the body, that would be what you will have to do. But drone parts are something different from Body parts, on that we maybe would even egree. For example, every part of the drone may be even manufactured by different company in the different part of the world ;)

And OK, we may agree that logic described in vessel preparation works for posession or inhabitting, but in this case it doesnt work for posession or inhabitting.
WUT?  ???

Reread vessel preparation.

"At the gamemaster’s discretion, large or complex vessels—particularly those with intricate mechanical parts or many components—may require the magician to enchant multiple components separately, rather than as a single Enchanting Test"

I see no reference to complex objects requiring multiple possessions, or only being partly possessable.  To the contrary, I see rules specifying how to make a complex object possessable by a single spirit.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-17-12/1212:34> »
Ah, my fault.
I guessed that if you have to prepare every part of the object, for the spirit to be able to posess whole object, it means, that otherwise spirit can posess only single or prepared part/s.
On the other side
The most important sentence is the firs of that quote:

"At the gamemaster’s discretion..."

So, as I said befere, I will discourage this at my table (well it still depends on situation and mood of our SR party :) )

And my reason is more philosophical than rulewise maybe...since spirits are unable to interact with AR and every piece of tech is beyon their understanding and experience, I would at least treat them as if theyy have (Force)Goblins negative quality. I like when some things mix, well some things I prefere to stay separated.
Beacuse i.e. all cars around here are theoreticaly dead vessels and I dont want to crash ballance of the setting by allowing shedims or any other Vanguards to be able to to poses those cars, drones, CHNs etc. I gladly welcome to think that they are able to interact only with enchanted items or with beings that have living aura.

Tsuarok

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <05-17-12/1217:08> »
I gladly welcome to think that they are able to interact only with enchanted items or with beings that have living aura.

I'd been thinking of just running with the house rule of only allowing prepped vessels for any possession.  Seems too disruptive otherwise.
« Last Edit: <05-17-12/1258:13> by Tsuarok »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-17-12/1219:56> »
Voice of reason :D