NEWS

Could a Rigger Build an Android ?

• 25 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <05-10-12/1732:59> »
I wanted to know could a Rigger Build an Android for a AI to inhabit so it has physical form ?

Got the Idea after watching
Project KARA
http://youtu.be/xM2Rkqvd5uY

Would be a Interesting story arch to have the team have to go after a Rigger who built a Android for his AI Lover
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Xarin

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-10-12/1741:18> »
Not that far fetched actually.  Cyborgs are just brains in a jar rigging drone bodies, some of which are very life like.  Replace brain in a jar with a nexus for an AI to inhabit and you're all set.  It's just a drone with fancy bodywork.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <05-10-12/2047:12> »
Not that far fetched actually.  Cyborgs are just brains in a jar rigging drone bodies, some of which are very life like.  Replace brain in a jar with a nexus for an AI to inhabit and you're all set.  It's just a drone with fancy bodywork.

Definately plausible. Only thing I can think of is, how long would it take the AI to learn how to control the body? After all, you're talking about a million and one actions we do with out thinking about....

but that could just be part of the run too :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

chinlamp

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-10-12/2055:16> »

Definately plausible. Only thing I can think of is, how long would it take the AI to learn how to control the body? After all, you're talking about a million and one actions we do with out thinking about....

but that could just be part of the run too :D

Well, as an android, it doesn't need to breathe, eat, sleep, blink, show facial expression, defecate, etc. so there really aren't many functions that we 'don't think about' that it needs to do.  And there are anthroform pilot programs that could help it to easily integrate into its new body.  I really don't think there would be any problems for an AI to have when it comes to controlling an anthroform drone.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <05-11-12/0112:05> »
Can AIs 'absorb' programs to learn them? (not read unwired in over a year since we have not hackers/TMs in our group)

How do AIs learn?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-11-12/0248:03> »

If the AI was capable of running an ultraviolet node with realistic-looking VR, and making their VR persona imitate facial expressions (as at least some of the AIs in the setting can), then I suspect that they could do the same with a robot body's servos and motors. And there is at least one cyborg body/drone in the setting that looks good enough to pass for human, at least at first glance. (Mitsuhama Otomo, Arsenal page 121.)

So yes, it seems entirely possible for someone to build an android body for an AI to inhabit. Wouldn't be cheap, however. (The Otomo is 150,000 nuyen.)

_Pax_

« Reply #6 on: <05-11-12/0400:44> »
Can AIs 'absorb' programs to learn them? (not read unwired in over a year since we have not hackers/TMs in our group)
  No.

How do AIs learn?
They spend Karma, just like any other sapient.  (Except their "karma" isn't the kind that metacritters can drain/eat.)

_Pax_

« Reply #7 on: <05-11-12/0401:39> »
I suspect a Pilot Origin AI would have little to no problems handling a humanoid drone body.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #8 on: <05-11-12/0440:33> »
So yes, it seems entirely possible for someone to build an android body for an AI to inhabit. Wouldn't be cheap, however. (The Otomo is 150,000 nuyen.)

I suspect most of that is the built-in Cyborg Adaptation, though.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <05-11-12/0943:24> »

I suspect most of that is the built-in Cyborg Adaptation, though.
One reason I've been praying for an anthroform drone that isn't a cleaning drone like the Manservant, and isn't a cyborg thing like the Otomo. A wider range of anthroform drones is very much needed. And it would give the Pilot: Anthroform skill some use besides Cyborgs and biodrones.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #10 on: <05-11-12/1025:11> »
I wanted to know could a Rigger Build an Android for a AI to inhabit so it has physical form ?
You can have that already with a manservant drone - just take the pilot anthroform skill.
But like others mentioned, thats far from looking human or even moving like one

Would be a Interesting story arch to have the team have to go after a Rigger who built a Android for his AI Lover
Just do it, for NPCs everything is possible. Could be a prototype.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <05-11-12/1059:42> »
So THAT'S what Dodger's been up to...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #12 on: <05-11-12/1324:47> »

"I'm a real boy!" -- Pinocchio

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Lucek

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <05-11-12/2243:02> »
Well it is open source, all they'd need to do is root their commlink.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #14 on: <05-12-12/2200:06> »
So THAT'S what Dodger's been up to...
Presuming you believe that Morgan/Megaera, Mirage, and Deus are still separate entities out there...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.