NEWS

How are books for Shadowrun created?

• 72 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #30 on: <04-30-12/1429:43> »
I'm game, but I'm pretty sure my demands are unreasonable. :)
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <04-30-12/1520:05> »
That would be cool, but there is probably no chance of me getting to Atlanta in September.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #32 on: <04-30-12/1604:17> »
I'm theoretically game (and I've done that very thing at a few local conventions), but the logistics of getting to D*Con, lodging, badges, kenneling my dogs (while my wife and I are both gone, because there's no way she's missing a D*Con), etc, etc...just can't swing it.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <04-30-12/1729:33> »
I'm theoretically game (and I've done that very thing at a few local conventions), but the logistics of getting to D*Con, lodging, badges, kenneling my dogs (while my wife and I are both gone, because there's no way she's missing a D*Con), etc, etc...just can't swing it.
This all goes into my "unreasonable demands" list, actually. The family would have to come with me, there'd need to be lodging for my family, badges for all involved, transportation to, transportation from, and transportation around Atlanta. I can't afford that, and I doubt the concom would do it for someone of my minute stature.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-30-12/1750:11> »
Heh. I don't really need any of that. I'd stay with friends in Atlanta, and I have no responsibilities in my life (Hooray for Forever Alone!). Plus I could take another Southern BBQ Tour from Georgia to Maryland (or so) maybe with a stopover in Tennessee this time.

But my problem is that I literally do not know where I'll be living in September. I could be anywhere from Virginia to Seattle.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #35 on: <04-30-12/1810:27> »
Well, I'd be cheap.  It'd involve paying me travel, lodging, and feeding me.

OK, not so cheap.  I eat a lot.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <05-01-12/0212:14> »
Well, I'm a DragonCOn regular, but this year the campaign trail will keep me from Atlanta

Next year, however? I'll be there regardless, so if anybody wants to talk to me, I'd be happy to chat.

(Of course, my contribution thusfar is, what, five pages? So...)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #37 on: <05-01-12/0212:42> »
Heh. I don't really need any of that. I'd stay with friends in Atlanta, and I have no responsibilities in my life (Hooray for Forever Alone!). Plus I could take another Southern BBQ Tour from Georgia to Maryland (or so) maybe with a stopover in Tennessee this time.

But my problem is that I literally do not know where I'll be living in September. I could be anywhere from Virginia to Seattle.
<hypnotize>
You will move to North-Eastern Atlanta ... you will move to North-Eastern Atlanta ...
</hypnotize>
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crash_00

« Reply #38 on: <05-01-12/0929:19> »
This has probably been raised before, especially given recent developments, but has Catalyst looked into using Kickstarter to fund books that are considered to be less than popular. In other words the books that usually sell poorly like setting books. I'd personally love to see more setting books like Runner's Havens or Seattle 2072 for other locations (Honlulu and Hong Kong would be my preferences).

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <05-01-12/0945:19> »
But then you'd find out how little the authors make.

Hmm. Living wages for a living setting! You should get on that. ;)

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-01-12/1027:04> »
True, dat. We don't do this for the money (though the money's nice when we're done).

That's another thing I'd point out to potential freelancers: Don't expect to get wealthy writing for RPGs. A few who do not work directly for Wizards or another game company...a very few, I might add (I know a couple of them, and can probably count them all on the fingers of both hands)...can generate enough output to make writing for games their day job. None of them are particularly wealthy. The rest of us...this is supplemental income.

So I guess my biggest rule about freelancing is: Don't delude yourself.

Crash_00

« Reply #41 on: <05-01-12/1032:10> »
That's really a writing in general tip, but a very good one for people that haven't done their research yet. Which I guess leads right into, do your research before starting a job writing as a freelancer with any company.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #42 on: <05-01-12/1156:55> »
First, we have to write our books by chipping them into stone blocks (Don't make a spelling mistake), then write them out on paper, then type them into the computer, and send them off to CGL.

After that, is an editing process that is either a joy to behold, or will make your soul bleed and cry as your baby is ravaged by others.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #43 on: <05-01-12/1323:01> »
That's why you murder your darlings first, then the editors can never get at them.  ;D

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #44 on: <05-02-12/2017:05> »
This has probably been raised before, especially given recent developments, but has Catalyst looked into using Kickstarter to fund books that are considered to be less than popular. In other words the books that usually sell poorly like setting books. I'd personally love to see more setting books like Runner's Havens or Seattle 2072 for other locations (Honlulu and Hong Kong would be my preferences).

That's what the PDF only supplements are for. They cost next to nothing to make, so there is little risk for CGL. It allows them to explore these niche areas that are cool, but not of sufficient general interest to sell as print books. There are several cool location books coming down the pipeline, in fact.
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works