NEWS

How are books for Shadowrun created?

• 72 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #15 on: <04-27-12/0010:13> »
Another way to get a foot in the door (if you can write a good adventure) is to hit up Bull about writing for Missions.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Curmudgeon

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <04-27-12/0032:56> »
This is a seriously awesome and encouraging response from everybody. Thanks.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #17 on: <04-27-12/0329:35> »
Bribes help.  I also suggest drinking heavily.  It doesn't help the creative process at all (though some try and argue this), but it will soften the pain of rejection, of editorial redoing half your work, and of dealing with the modern-day fanbase, which is all too often about deconstructive (and destructive) criticism. :)

I'll type up more about the Missions side of things, since I handle that slightly differently than Jason handles the main line, but that will have to wait till tomorrow or the weekend.

Bull

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #18 on: <04-27-12/0340:46> »
Bribes help.  I also suggest drinking heavily. 
Bull

Were do you want me to ship the crate of scotch?

And it helps explain how canray got on the team  8)

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-27-12/0349:39> »
Bribes help.  I also suggest drinking heavily.  It doesn't help the creative process at all (though some try and argue this), but it will soften the pain of rejection, of editorial redoing half your work, and of dealing with the modern-day fanbase, which is all too often about deconstructive (and destructive) criticism.
Editorial only interferes with you lesser mortals.
« Last Edit: <04-27-12/0402:27> by James Meiers »

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #20 on: <04-27-12/0814:19> »
Editorial only interferes with you lesser mortals.

WIth that line you've now been funny more than once a month, James!

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Crash_00

« Reply #21 on: <04-27-12/0907:46> »
3) There was a time when I was faster about responding to prospective freelancers. I've gotten slower, and it's not a bad idea to give me a poke if it's taking a while to hear from me.

Out of curiosity, how long is average in this regard?

JM_Hardy

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #22 on: <04-27-12/1013:38> »
It used to be a couple of weeks. These days it's often taken months until I get the right time slot to give text proper attention. Nagging me every other month or so is a good idea.

Jason H.
Jason M. Hardy
Shadowrun Line Developer

"The thing is, I’m serious about what I do, and the people with whom I associate are serious about what they do. We’re all serious people. Look, I can even make a serious face. See?" --Quinn Bailey

Crash_00

« Reply #23 on: <04-27-12/1020:05> »
Thanks. I figured it would be about that since you felt the need to comment on it, but your turn around is usually so fast I figured it would be good to get a base out there. It's easy to feel like something has been completely rejected if someone usually gets back within a day and you don't here anything for weeks, so knowing ahead of time it's going to take a good long while really helps stave off that feeling (or the drinking that Bull suggests).

On a related note, I know convention season is coming up. When is the best time for Missions submissions/pitches/begging/bribes Bull?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-27-12/1231:16> »
Just remember to nag politiely.

"Hey! You sonovaslitch, I wrote you two weeks ago and you don't have the dignity to so much as tellme yes or no?! Screw you!"

^^^ Strangely not going to go over well. Funny that.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #25 on: <04-27-12/1404:33> »
And here I thought I was fobbing the question off to Jason...  I had good comments?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-29-12/0940:27> »
It used to be a couple of weeks. These days it's often taken months until I get the right time slot to give text proper attention. Nagging me every other month or so is a good idea.

Jason H.

I would! but I lost you're e-mail in a computer crash! (And I heard you were no longer accepting new freelancers due to
the leak, and the e-book coordinator you said you were going to talk to left. Then there was the whole thing in 2010
and I did not want to seem like I was begging while the defecation was hitting the rotary oscillator.)
(I'm the one whose writing sample was the Shadowrun take on a local festival)

Crash_00

« Reply #27 on: <04-29-12/0945:20> »
His email is at the bottom of the main Shadowrun 4 page so I'll assume it's not supposed to be a secret (jshadowrun@gmail.com). Of course it could have changed since then, I don't know, but it seems like that's the one I used to have before I had to switch email addresses.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-29-12/0949:04> »
His email is at the bottom of the main Shadowrun 4 page so I'll assume it's not supposed to be a secret (jshadowrun@gmail.com). Of course it could have changed since then, I don't know, but it seems like that's the one I used to have before I had to switch email addresses.

Heh...never noticed that before...

Murrdox

• Chummer
« Reply #29 on: <04-30-12/1348:15> »
What probability is there that we can get a bunch of Shadowrun Freelancers to come to Dragon Con and do some panels on Shadowrun writing.

Yeah I know, would probably fit in better with GenCon, but I go to DragonCon every year :)

BTW Catalyst, we missed you there in 2011.  I hope you're going to have more of a presence in 2012.