NEWS

[Recruitment] Artifacts Unbound: Deja Vu.

• 53 Replies

Sincereagape

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <03-21-12/2351:48> »
Hey Rusalka,

Would love to have ya.

I tend to favor more humanistic/conceptual characters in my games.  One's who are good at their job, but still human at the same time and with flaws.

Optimization is good as long as you don't go overboard and create a superhero :)
Narrative
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #31 on: <03-22-12/0354:30> »
Just trolling, well, since There is no map available for 6th world DeeCee, would we use anything from google or it wont be necessary?

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <03-22-12/1210:18> »
If Rusalka doesn't take up that Mage spot, I most certainly bloody would.  I will grudgingly hold my hand as the unspeakable swine did post first. Probably an Elven Druid with a Law Enforcement background. One shall wait.

Rusalka

• Newb
  • Reality Impaired
« Reply #33 on: <03-22-12/1449:10> »
I say give it a go anyhow. Sichr was accepted even though another player applied first, so you should definitely still have a chance. Is it not better to give everyone a chance to do their best, and then allow SincereAgape to pick out the one that strikes his fancy?

I'm currently working on typing down my background story in a coherent manner. It wouldn't do for it to be garbled, after all; that'd hardly improve my chances of getting accepted.
Browse 6 on System 1

The World is a Mess and I Just Need to Rule it.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <03-22-12/1510:33> »
You called?

BTW nestava se casto ze potkam Rusalku na techle mistech...

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-22-12/1536:59> »
Briefly considered trying, but decided against it when I went through and didn't see a list of '20 questions' anywhere. There may be similar things for other games/settings, but I haven't seen such a list of questions for SR.  ???

Mainly posted this comment to find out where people are getting a list of those questions that fits this setting. (Other lists from other settings and games really shouldn't be used in my view.)
« Last Edit: <03-22-12/1538:57> by All4BigGuns »
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Rusalka

• Newb
  • Reality Impaired
« Reply #36 on: <03-22-12/1547:10> »
I am not actually Slavic myself, so writing to me in Czech won't do you a lot of good, Sichr  :P

As to the twenty questions, I assume they're the ones from the Character Quiz in Runner's Companion.
Browse 6 on System 1

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <03-22-12/1645:04> »
I guess so.  I've seen these in more systems (L5R has them as well), but after way too many years of PBeM games I normally write quite elaborate backgrounds without those.  But they're often a good starting point if you're stuck with your background.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <03-22-12/1721:13> »
In fact, 20 questions has been standard in 2nd ed, IDN if they are still around in some SB for SRA, but it was quite good. Well it is only a guidelines that can be followed by players who are not able to write the story just from scratch (and Im sure there is a plenty of them)
There is a Character quiz in the Runners Companion that can be called 20 questions (and it is noted in the black box on p. 19)

I am not actually Slavic myself, so writing to me in Czech won't do you a lot of good, Sichr  :P

Never Mind, it was worth to try, since Rusalka is part of local mythology and even http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka_%28opera%29
Is considered one of our national treasures :) (also pay attention to Symphony no. 9 from the same author, it has a few things to do with North America ;) )

Sincereagape

• Chummer
« Reply #39 on: <03-22-12/1948:15> »
Briefly considered trying, but decided against it when I went through and didn't see a list of '20 questions' anywhere. There may be similar things for other games/settings, but I haven't seen such a list of questions for SR.  ???

Mainly posted this comment to find out where people are getting a list of those questions that fits this setting. (Other lists from other settings and games really shouldn't be used in my view.)

I'm sorry about that.  The set of questions are the one's in Runners Companion that everyone referred to.  They are not needed though.  Those who have been accepted so far have written backgrounds about their character which are more then adequate.

@BigPeat:  Feel free to apply.  Whomever can get their character approved first will join the group.  If no one applies the final slot will be filled by the first reserve layer

Narrative
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <03-23-12/1447:01> »
Very well then  8)

Alias: Rook
Name: Ethan O'Connell
Metatype: Elf

Ex Knight Errant Mage Investigator

Attributes (230) Metatype (30) Skills (126) Spells (18) Contacts (8) Gear (3) Qualities (-15)

Short by Elven standards at 1.85m, Rook is a slender and almost haunted looking man with untidy black hair, bright blue eyes, and a tendency to wear whatever he digs up out of the drawer that day.

Price: Why don't we talk about that...
Bad Habits:  Nothing of import. Hic.
Available to post: All week.
Current Source Books: All

Personality/background
[spoiler]
Ethan never wanted to join the police. But he kinda didn't have a choice as his pop had, as his pop had, as his pop had before him, and probably every damn O'Connell since the first one got off the boat in New York City. It was his destiny from the moment his ma squeezed him out from between her hips down on the family farm. It was join the cops, or work on the farm, and Ethan found that an easy enough choice. There was one hell of a fight with the old man when he said he'd put his name down for Knight Errant selection though. Mick O'Connell was Lone Star through and through, but Ethan had grown up around enough Lone Star people who looked the wrong way at him when they realised he was Awakened to figure that wasn't going to work out too well for him. Hell no. Although the opposite was nearly as bad - there were plenty of people around who said they held to the Old Ways, who looked up to the kid like he was something special. Ethan didn't much like that either. Sure, it was kinda nice, and it was useful to be taught some magic, but when it came down to it he was the same as everyone else. Or so he thought. Ironically, the more people treated him as something special, the more stubbornly shy he got.

He didn't bother with College, going straight to the Knight Errant academy. His nascent acceptance and dogged keeping to of the Druidic tradition gave him more than a few issues going through the place, something that made him feel like he didn't belong, but he kept his head down and made it. He had a real bloodhound sense, and rarely let go of something, and his embracing of Morrigan in her more vindictive aspects made him a damn good questioner. Although it equally kept getting him into trouble around the place, particularly as he quickly picked up the aggressive approach to pacifying spellcasting used by KE. What he did pick up though, what he belonged to, was the sense of justice. Sure, it was a complicated thing, but Ethan liked the idea of doing right things. He graduated and the pattern continued - good detective, good back-up, didn't really get along with others, and didn't mind dishing back the abuse he was given. The semi-isolation led to him increasing his drinking, which eventually led to him somehow acquiring a relationship with a local barmaid. That was what triggered the end - another KE member decided he liked the looks of her, and tried to blackmail her. When Ethan discovered it, he went berserk. His woman. His justice. Both tarnished. Ethan lashed out, tasting blood pouring his nostrils and into his mouth even as the last screams from inside the giant Manaball echoed.

After coming round and making sure the girl was ok, Ethan split. Legally it might have been right for him to go to jail, but he was damned sure what he did was right. Ideals get tarnished, but that doesn't mean you can't keep making do. He didn't want to go to jail and would do more out. Of course, there weren't too many people who'd take an ex-KE mage wanted for murder, so that only really left the shadows. Swallowing his revulsion at the idea, he went underground - only to discover he'd have possibly been better off here to begin with. Since then, he's been carving out a reasonable rep for himself as a solid spellcaster who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty or taking a few risks.

Although he's a good worker, Ethan's not the easiest to get along with. He comes across as stand-offish; he's really just shy, but his natural confidence masks that, so he plays close enough to many people's stereotypes of the arrogant elf. He's also got a bit of a temper and a few more morals that some like and a minor booze problem, although minor enough not to show as a problem with most of the people he knows. Still, his heart is in the right place, and the people he does get to know well speak well of him. None of them know his past - in fact, very few know he's from the CAS. Ethan's gone to some lengths to bury the past.
[/spoiler]

Character Sheet
[spoiler]Attributes
B: 3 A:3 R:4 S:2 C:5 I:5 L:3 W:5 EDGE:2 MAGIC: 5

Essence: 6
Initiative: 9
Initiative pass: 1
Physical Damage Track: 10
Stun Damage Track: 11

Positive Qualities
Magician 15
Mentor 5 (Morrigan, represented by Thunderbird due to aerial affinity and short temper - +2 to air spirits and +2 to intimidation tests)
Negative Qualities
Minor Addiction - Alcohol 5
Wanted - Knight Errant - 10
Records on File - Knight Errant -10
Criminal SINner - 10

Active Skills
Assensing 2
Binding 2
Summoning 2
Spellcasting 4
Counterspelling 2
Ritual Spellcasting 1
Perception 4
Shadowing 1
Infiltration 1
Pistols 2 (Semi-Automatics)
Intimidation 4
Negotiate 4
Etiquette 1
Con 1

Knowledge Skills ( 8x3 free points)
Knight Errant Proceedures: 4
Magical Theory: 4
Underworld Politics: 4
Farming: 2
Celtic Myth: 2
Alcoholic Spirits: 2
Hockey: 2
Action Trids: 2
Chemistry: 2
languages
English: na
Sperethiel: 1
Gaelic: 1
Japanese: 2
[/spoiler]

Gear:
[spoiler]
Gear (15,000¥)
Weapons:
Ares Predator (350 ¥)
w/3 extra clips, 50 rounds of normal ammo, 20 rounds of silver ammo, concealed holster (705 ¥)

Extendable Baton (50¥)

Armor:
Lined Jacket (6/4) – worn  700¥ (non-conductivity/fire insulation both 3, 900 ¥)

Other Gear:
Sony Emperor Commlink (w/ Iris Orb OS, Pro User package, and Subvocal Mic)
Plasteel Restraint
Respirator (rating 4)
Med Kit (rating 6)
Fake SIN (rating 4)(Jake Smith)
Fake License(Rating 4)
3 Stimulant patches (rating 6)
Glasses (rating 3 w/Flare Compensation, Image Link, Vision Magnification 3, Smartlink)
Earbuds (rating 2 w/Spatial recogniser, Audio Magnification 3)
Flashlight
5 Thermal Smoke Grenades
20 RFID tags
White Noise Generator
4 datachips

1 Month Low Lifestyle

Spells
Manaball
Stunbolt
Increase Reflexes
Mind Probe
Increase Charisma
Clairaudience

Starting Cash:
3d6x50
[/spoiler]

Contacts
[spoiler]
Bella – Fixer (L:1 C:2)
Bella runs a hairdressers, and finds a surprising number of things to talk to people about - she's as brassy as a 14th cannon and just about as trustworthy

Marv Varndell – Awakened Bar Owner (L:2 C:1) 
Marv's bar caters mainly to the Awakened crowd, who like a place where they can be themselves, and talk a little shop. Marv's a good listener, but a pretty bad talker.

Shaky Malone - Street Snitch (L:1 C: 1)
Reprehensible and nausea-inducing - and that's just the smell! Still, Shaky will sing like a canary for the right price, and sometimes actually knows what he's talking about.

[/spoiler]

Rusalka

• Newb
  • Reality Impaired
« Reply #41 on: <03-23-12/1529:02> »
Blast you! Now I had to hurry my application.

Just hope it's good enough...

EDIT: ...and, of course, I forget the appearance. *rolls Character Creation On The Fly*

Alias: Incipit
Name: Naharika Pathak
Race: Elf

Build Point totals:  400 = Metatype (30) + Attributes (175) + Qualities (+35/-35) + Skills (108) + Nuyen (37) + Foci (2) + Contacts (18)

Background:
[spoiler]If one was to create a file on the life of Naharika Pathak, one would not be mistaken in judiciously applying an [EVO] stamp on the product. That, in fact, is what has been done, and if one was to pay the right people, access to such might even be found.

Growing up in India, even when born to human parents of some standing, is not the dream of many metahumans. Such, however, was the case for Naharika. Her father was a moderately successful stock trader, with her mother working as newscaster for a popular regional channel. Perhaps she might have followed in their footsteps, were it not for an event that came to pass shortly before her eleventh birthday: She Awakened.

Born in Surat, it might have seemed obvious upon her Awakening to be enrolled in one of the many programs sponsored by the Gujarat Ayurved University, one of the foremost Indian magical educational institutions, were it not for the fact that said institution was extremely biased towards Hindu traditions. Her parents were somewhat religious Jaina, in spite of their professions, and thus not particularly interested in this. As such, the choice was between enrolling in a program teaching incompatible dogma, finding one espousing one's own dogma, but providing sub-par education – Or perhaps finding something completely third.

It was a narrow thing, but in the end, the third option was the one taken. After all, a mage in the family was a status symbol, and who would willingly waste one such by neglecting its development? The country was searched far and wide, until an unlikely candidate was found. The Japanese Corporation, Yamatetsu, it seemed, was branching into the thaumaturgical market, and was providing likely candidates with a solid magical education, for an unlikely small fee. Certain restrictions were involved, of course, but beggars, as the saying goes, can't be choosers, and so the offer was accepted. With Yamatetsu being an AAA corporation, at least the quality would be assured, and with the eclectic nature of the program, their magical progeny would not swayed too much in the wrong direction. Naharika, of course, has no say in the matter, but she was not too dissatisfied. The new world into which she was drawn was a fascinating one, and though her new teachers still demanded a measure of respect, it was now a mutual respect – She was special; she couldn't be replaced by any runt from the streets, and they knew that.

After two years, disaster struck. Yamatetsu was send into turmoil due to internal events, and shortly thereafter, the Matrix came crashing down. When things began to stabilize once more, her family was ruined, and even the small fee involved in her education was too much to bear – They would have to have her withdraw from the program. Unwilling to lose a prospective resource, however, Yamatetsu made a counterproposal: They would fit the bill, if only Naharika would partake in a new study. Yamatetsu, after all, was especially involved in the manufacture of cyber- and bioware, and even in a thaumaturgical program, drawing upon such resources was tempting. Finding mages, especially strong ones, willing to undergo augmentation, on the other hand, was quite difficult. Who better than the desperate of the desperate?

Undergo surgery she did, and though her powers were weakened for it, she did not regret it. What mattered was that she was allowed to continue her studies – So she was, and so she did.

Years later, as she left her old apartment for the last time, locking the doors and flashing through the documents on her new residency and her job contract, she looked back at her past and though about how she'd gotten there. The years seemed to have passed so quickly, and for so little. Her education and training had been a breeze, what with the neural enhancers they'd pumped her full of, and she'd been thrust into a world of politics so sure of herself. She'd known things, she'd been so sure of it, and others had just seemed so slow.

The breaking point had been when they had employed that pair of flea-ridden wolf-fawners as “spiritual guidance.” Oh, the complaints she'd had...

Their starting wages were higher than what she'd fought tooth and nail for! They didn't have any qualifications! Oh, yes, they were Awakened, alright, but so was everyone in the department! And who in their right minds would claim that she had been given her powers by some benevolent entity, and would have them taken away, lest she obey its wishes? They were incompetent nutters, and everyone else respected them because they sounded wise! She knew spirits, could summon them up and talk to them, she even had one assisting her for whatever inscrutable reason it might have. That didn't mean she bowed down and worshipped them; it just meant she treated them like she would any other intelligent entity! How could people be so stupid!?

She hadn't been heeded, of course. Rather the opposite. Oh, how she'd used to love the EvoPeople, and their way of judging everyone based on their merits. Or so she thought, at the time. It turned out that they just accepted everyone, regardless of merit. In spite of lack of merit, as it was.

She'd been infuriated, but not so much as when she realized what they would do to her: Her refusal to work with the shamans had caused a tempest of immense proportions; it was unheard of for EvoPeople to do that. They tried to negotiate with her, gave her corrective courses, did everything they could to try to convince her to accept those people, regardless of their inane claims and their mindless acceptance of baseless theories. She hadn't caved. And so they punished her.

Now, she was on her way from the place she'd grown used to, away from the people she half-hated, half-loved. She'd still work for them, of course, or a subsidiary project of theirs. It wouldn't do to throw away such a valuable resource. And yet, even the work would be negligible. She'd be teleworking, doing a few hours a week of commcalls with various researchers working on nexialist projects – Or so the spiel ran. A promotion, they called it, to “an important research program more suited for her unique capabilities.” An important project indeed. So important as to be unable to pay  more than a quarter of her cost of living.

She sighed, and stepped into the unremarkable car with the tinted windows that had just parked next  to her. Such was the nature of corporate politics. She still had her skills, and she still had her will.

Too bad for the suits.[/spoiler]

Appearance:

[spoiler]A rather short woman, especially for an elf, Incipit might easily be mistaken for everything but what she is - As a miniscule augmented Indian elf, she is far from the usual appearance of a Chaos Mage. She walks with a firm stride, sure of her own merits, always dressed to face the world - If, perhaps, just to be able to tell in which direction to run.[/spoiler]

Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Naharika Pathak
Alias: Incipit
Race: Elf
Sex: Female
Nationality: UCAS Permanent Resident
Karma Spent: 0

Attributes
BodyAgilityReactionStrength
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
335 [8]4
EdgeMagic/ResonanceEssenceInitiative

Positive Qualities
Low-Light Vision (Metatype)
College Education
Magician
Mentor Spirit (Spider)
Restricted Gear 1
Spirit Pact (Edge 1, Formula Pact)

Negative Qualities
Day Job (10 hours/week)
Media Junkie (Mild)
Prejudiced (Specific, Outspoken) (Shamans and other Faith-based Magicians)
Records on File (Evo)
SINner (Standard)

Active Skills
Biotech Skill Group1
Influence Skill Group1
Arcana1
Banishing2
Binding (Spirit of Man)3
Computer1
Counterspelling2
Data Search1
Ritual Spellcasting3
Spellcasting (Illusion)5
Summoning3

Knowledge Skills (24 free points)
Cyberneurology2
History2
Magic Traditions (Mages)1
Magical Theory4
Matrix Gaming1
Modern Literature1
Mysticism2
News3

Language Skills
GujaratiN
English5
Cantonese2

Cyber/Bioware
CyberwareEssenceCostNotes
Datajack0.081,000¥Alphaware
Single Cybereye0.082,600¥Rating 1, Alphaware, /w Vision Magnification
Nanohive0.6020,000¥Rating 1, Alphaware
Neocortical Neural Amplifiers0.0015,000¥Rating 3
BiowareEssenceCostNotes
Cerebral Boosters0.4860,000¥Rating 3, Alphaware

Spells/Complex Forms/Programs
SpellCostNotes
Analyse MagicDetection
Mind ProbeDetection
Mindnet, ExtendedDetection
Increase ReflexesHealth
AgonyIllusion
DreamIllusion
Physical MaskIllusion
Sight RemovalIllusion
Trid PhantasmIllusion
InfluenceManipulation

Gear (185,000¥)
ItemLocationCostNotes
Power FocusWorn50,000¥Rating 2, Restricted
Lucifer LampBeltXXXXX¥Flashlight-shaped
Lucifer Lampbulb (2)Carried200¥1-hour
ManacaseCarried200¥Restricted
ManasheathStashed300¥Restricted
Magical LodgeIn house #22,500¥Rating 5
Spirit-Binding Materials (2)Stashed3,000¥Rating 3
Sony Emperor x21 in house #1, 1 carried3,200¥/w Renraku Ichi & Basic User
Renraku SenseiWorn6,305¥/w Iris Orb, Customized Interface, Biometric Reader & Lock, Fiberoptic Cable, Hardening, Basic+, Firewall 6, Subvocal Microphone & Sim Module (Cold)
Fake SINCarried4,000¥Rating 4, Teesta Bhadani
Fake License (Mage)Carried400¥Rating 4
Certified CredstickCarried25¥Silver
MedkitCarried400¥Rating 4
Tag EraserCarried150¥Forbidden
Handheld SensorCarried145¥/w Thermometric, Geiger Counter & Atmosphere Sensor 3
Defiance ProtectorCarried350¥/w 10 rounds
Morrissey ÉlanWorn1,650¥/w 10 rounds of Hi-C Plastic, Hidden Gun Arm Slide, Internal Smartgun System & Internal Silencer
Zoé BusinesswearStashed500¥
Zoé Executive Suite Long Jacket EnsembleWorn1,950¥
Lined CoatStashed2,350¥/w Fire Resistance, Non-Conductivity & Chemical Protection 3

Lifestyles
ComfortsEntertainmentNecessitiesNeighbourhoodSecurityCost/monthDurationQualities
MiddleLowHighMiddleMiddle3,800¥1 monthQuiet Neighbourhood, Green Plan, Lax Security
LowSquatterMiddleLowHigh4,400¥1 monthHasty Exit
#1 located in South Charleston, West Virginia, with Legal SIN.
#2 located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with Fake SIN (Teesta Bhadani)

Contacts
ContactJobC/L
"Cendrillon"Smuggler3/2
Kenny OakesStreet Doctor2/4
"Henri-QUE"Information Broker / Fixer5/2

Build Point totals:  400 = Metatype (30) + Attributes (175) + Qualities (+35/-35) + Skills (108) + Nuyen (37) + Foci (2) + Contacts (18)[/spoiler]

Contacts:

[spoiler]
Cendrillon: A human smuggler operating out of Boston Harbour. Chose her name due to her tendency to scamper around in the ashes left by those with too many bullets and too little sense, gathering whatever treasures she might.

Kenny Oakes: A young orc street doctor - Reasonably good at his trade, and a close friend of Incipit since she helped save his business from extralegal troubles.

Henri-QUE: Information broker and fixer extraordinaire, this secretive man prefers to keep his relations solely professional, but has a tendency to quickly pick out those of his clients who make good on their deals.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <03-23-12/1532:24> by Rusalka »
Browse 6 on System 1

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <03-23-12/1534:24> »
How many reserves are there? It's not looking like I'd be able to come up with a background before all the main slots are filled.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <03-23-12/1539:15> »
*grins* Nothing like a little friendly motivation, may the best elf win ;)

lunarboy4

• Newb
  • What is it with you guys and Burritos?
« Reply #44 on: <03-25-12/1124:50> »
I have a mage who might be able to play. He is an ork, and a custom tradition that I made myself. If you would like, I have have the character sheet up later tonight, but it'll be around 5 to 6 CST... Basically, he is a tarot reader who awakened and believes that his magic is given to him by fate.

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=6535.0

This is a link to the write up of the tradition. I really like this guy and hope that you will accept him into the campaign
Team combinations that can only end in bad things. A psychopathic mage with an obsession for proper table manners and a Sea lion shifter who is still fairly new to society and not really socialized yet... My vote is with the Sea Lion, personally.