NEWS

Runners and GMs vs. Canon

• 38 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #15 on: <02-23-12/2350:36> »
It might be extremely easy to take out a stupid VIP, but anyone with an ounce of intelligence is going to be very very well protected both physically and astrally. I would imagine Damien Knight having a security detail rivaling the secret service (physical, matrix, and astral), some of the best armor around (suited up with DA coating), and likely a spirit or to serving no greater function than being tasked to protect him. Between being able to easily wear 9-10 points of formal armor (more if he takes the precaution of putting on a FFBA suit for protection), having the resources to have his security mage constantly cast an armor spell on him, and having said spirits ready to wisk him away, you'd really only have one shot to pull it off. On top of that, at most public events, he'd probably have a physical barrier put up around him unless he's in motion. All this of course, at a realistically high force.

I feel like starting the "How would you kill a Megacorp CEO" thread, like that How to kill a Dragon thread.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <02-24-12/0638:21> »
It might be extremely easy to take out a stupid VIP, but anyone with an ounce of intelligence is going to be very very well protected both physically and astrally. I would imagine Damien Knight having a security detail rivaling the secret service (physical, matrix, and astral), some of the best armor around (suited up with DA coating), and likely a spirit or to serving no greater function than being tasked to protect him. Between being able to easily wear 9-10 points of formal armor (more if he takes the precaution of putting on a FFBA suit for protection), having the resources to have his security mage constantly cast an armor spell on him, and having said spirits ready to wisk him away, you'd really only have one shot to pull it off. On top of that, at most public events, he'd probably have a physical barrier put up around him unless he's in motion. All this of course, at a realistically high force.

I feel like starting the "How would you kill a Megacorp CEO" thread, like that How to kill a Dragon thread.

Ask Cross how you kill a megacorp CEO.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-24-12/2053:49> »
For me context is a huge component when hearing about canon-shattering games. If someone posts something like "my character killed Lofwyr," then my reaction is along the lines of "one of *those* GMs." But if they start their post with something like, "So I was in this 4 year long campaign, playing about once a week, and the last year and a half of it our group spent setting up the assassination of Lofwyr, we had to develop contacts in no less than 4 corporate militaries, 3 national governments, and had to orchestrate the assassination of a Corporate Court Lawyer, an Azzie Blood Mage, and three AGS diplomats in order to set it all up and out of the original 6 runners that started it only 1 made it alive to see the fruits of their labors harvested..." well, that sounds like a fun campaign to me :)

In general, I try to keep as peripheral to canon as possible and as a campaign progresses then where the PCs focus their efforts is where canon can be "tweeked" and possibly changed. 
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-24-12/2109:31> »
Ask Cross how you kill a megacorp CEO.

Must ... resist ... urge ...

It was just bad timing that he was landing at SFO when an EMP bomb detonated just off the ... Ahem ... Golden Gate Bridge.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-25-12/0330:30> »
My personal attitude is that PCs might not ever get put into a situation where they can affect the metaplot, but if they do end up there, they should be able to succeed or fail on their own merits.  In other words, don't turn the game into a non-interactive video game cut scene, just because the group stumbles onto a pivotal moment in the larger story.  Don't give major NPCs plot armor just because they are major NPCs.  PCs may rarely be powerful enough to go head to head with the power players, but they can be the tipping point or deciding factor, when those power players go up against each other.

I think a good way to think of your campaign is that it is an alternate universe that starts out at some point in the "main" game universe, but can diverge wildly from there.

Mercer

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <02-25-12/1918:34> »
My current group has only played sporadically over the last few years, and we haven't done anything with the metaplot that I'm aware of.  It's mainly be short campaigns and one shots and as a general rule our GM's generate their own content.  But back when we were playing on a weekly basis for 2-3 years (this would have been SR2-3 to give you an idea of how long ago that was), we did some modules that were tied into the metaplot of the game.  The one that I remember was "Super Tuesday" which led up to the election of Dunklezahn.  We didn't finish that module and I'm not even sure how far we got through it-- it was actually our back up game for when the whole group couldn't make it-- but it was kind of a neat moment when we had to take a meeting at the Draco Foundation building and my character was thinking, "Holy crap, I'm talking to people who at some point or another will talk to Dunklezahn."

Granted, that's not exactly the same thing as killing Lofwyr or Damien Knight, but for a old school SR nerd, it was still a neat moment.   

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-27-12/0553:35> »
having the resources to have his security mage constantly cast an armor spell on him

Downside to that is that he would glow all the time...
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #22 on: <02-27-12/0617:46> »
having the resources to have his security mage constantly cast an armor spell on him

Downside to that is that he would glow all the time...
Not necessarily. Some armor spells glow, others may not. Depends on the construction of the spell. There is nothing that says the armor spell has to glow.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <02-27-12/1238:09> »
^Beside's don't dragons make their own rules? :P
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <02-28-12/0827:15> »
Not necessarily. Some armor spells glow, others may not. Depends on the construction of the spell. There is nothing that says the armor spell has to glow.

The Armor spell, which was mentioned, has this to say: "This spell creates a glowing field of magical energy around the subject that protects against Physical damage." (p.210, SR4A)

Now, you might create a custom Armor-like spell (let's call it Fortify) that didn't glow, but the Armor spell itself always glows by RAW.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mercer

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <02-28-12/0947:51> »
Yeah, I've always treated it as the non-glowy Armor spell is Increase Body. 

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <02-28-12/1158:10> »

Would that increase your physical boxes temperarly now that i think about it? o.O' and your overflow boxes???? O.o'
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #27 on: <02-28-12/1321:55> »

Would that increase your physical boxes temperarly now that i think about it? o.O' and your overflow boxes???? O.o'

Yes, yes it would. ;D

They're both derived from your Body stat, after all.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <02-28-12/1420:12> »

Yes, yes it would. ;D

Badass.... <.< I'm totally going to make a mage with that now. Not that it's a big deal really, but i think it would be cool. :D

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <02-28-12/1421:13> »

Cast Increase Body and Increase Strength on the troll melee tank and just watch as things die.

Yes, yes it would. ;D

Badass.... <.< I'm totally going to make a mage with that now. Not that it's a big deal really, but i think it would be cool. :D
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen