NEWS

Possibly the "best" build from a min-max perspective

• 52 Replies

Katrex

• Chummer
« on: <12-13-11/2236:44> »
Good luck getting your gm to run it.

The base prinicple of this charecter is the genetic heratage/genecrafted feats, using the animal features rule of trangenics to buy all bioware at 40% discount, and taking synaptic boosters as you free genetic augmentation.

Advantages: lots of bioware very cheap
Disadvantages: cant get alphagrade or higher, can't upgrade it.

Clearly on a highpowered game where charecters get access to delta clinics and so forth it will inevitably fall behind other build. However from a one shot perspective, other than the Mind over matter logic adept build this is probably the most points efficient build to a charecter.

Note: I've flavoured the build to be what i call a quintisential shadowruner. i've given the charecter skills i think he should have if he were born and raised in to the running buisness. Thus lots of skills groups at rank 1   which would be half as expensive to buy with karma, but likewise a charecter desinged without karma in mind. For similar reasons i've not given him negative qualities like distinctive style, or anything that would make him stand out.

He's a brutal fighter, unarmed and ranged, Athletic, hard to kill, resistant to spells, very stealthy, not a total social retard, and with decent logic and intuition has lots of knowlege skills.

Without further adu, meet John Smith

Agility 7(10-12)
Body 4(5)
Reactions 3(7-9)
Stremgth 2(5-7)

Charisma 4
Intuition 5
Logic 3
Willpower 3(5)

Edge 1
essence 0.06

Positive qualities.
Surge III (Biocompatibility, Spellresistance 4)
Genecrafted
Genetic heritage
Restricted gear

Negative
Surge III(sensitive system or cool stuff if you rather)
In debt 30
Weakened Immune system

Skill groups
Electronics 1
Influence 1
Outdoors 1
Athletics 1
Stealth 4
Skills
unarmed 5
pistols 5
perception 1
first aid 1

Bioware + geneware (note most of these need new names, dolphin neo cortex, catlike muscleture, insect nervous system and so on)
Adrenaline pump 2
Cerebral boosters
enhanced articulation
Muscle augmentation
Muscle toner
platlet factories
superthyroid

synaptic boosters 3,  if you think three Ip's is overkill, reduce the synaptic boosters to 2, take adrenaline pump 3 Instead, freeing up 30-40 Bp, I just love that extra Ip for when I have to full dodge every round and then want to smack the boss in the face.

Also genetic heratige makes no mention on limits by availability.  If you disagree fair enough it frees up 0.45 essence hapily spent on other geneware, like Pushed and qualia -  or lose one rank in surge(spell resist 4 -> 2 obviously) for restricted gear works too.

synthocardium (restricted gear)

Reakt
Synch
Genetic optimisation agility.

Total 215k
I wont detail further items there's another 65k to spend, I'm sure most of you know what kind of things it would be spent on.

2bp contact

Her'es some dicepools for you,
Normal dodge 11(12)
Full defense 16(17)
melee block  18(19)
Full defense block  25(26) Not can't be done at same time to range full defense due to gymnastics over dodge.

Any smartgun pistol 20
Hardliner gloves 19 (5P damage)
Infiltrate, gymnastics, palming 15
First aid 12
Perception Climbing swiming running  10
diguise shadowing  9
Social skills 5
Electronics 6

And don't forget drugs for when this just doesn't cut it.

Anyway comments much apreciated, Obviously if I wasn't giving him his theme, i'd drop his charisma electronics influence and outdoors and put his edge to 5. But i'm sure you get the gist, It's not about the specifics of the build more a demonstration of what transgenetics can do RaW.

Katrex

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <12-13-11/2302:02> »
I'm sorry, It says
"Such an inheritance means the character can start play with one genetic modification (see p. 72) for free."

And "Most of the functional changes available through biotech (p. 61) are also possible through transgenic alteration for comparable Essence and nuyen costs but longer treatment times (typically several months)."

Its arguable if you can get something over the availability, which I adressed as an option that can be fixed, it doesn't change the build that much.

Edit, Huh the reply changed. Well i'll leave the rules there to prevent this becoming a massive rules discusion.
Oh and yes I could have given him cyberware but that would ruin much of the elagance of it.
« Last Edit: <12-13-11/2305:47> by Katrex »

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-11/2310:42> »
And then he's hit by toxins/diseases

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-14-11/0107:02> »
And "Most of the functional changes available through biotech (p. 61) are also possible through transgenic alteration for comparable Essence and nuyen costs but longer treatment times (typically several months)."
Yes, but this still prefers to animal features(like Quils, cat eyes etc.) not all bioware.
So yeah good luck finding a sucker that lets you use that build, it's really isn't an example of whats possible RAW, but an example of what you can get with severe rukles mangling.
« Last Edit: <12-14-11/0108:47> by Mäx »
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Thermo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-14-11/0641:05> »
^^^ that's what my first reply basically said, I was half drunk so I decided to censor myself and I changed it to something more benign. But yeah, that's how I feel too.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <12-14-11/1137:43> »
I just can't get that excited by the build.  For all of the convincing you'll have to do, you end up with a guy who's not much better than Umaro's Ghost.  +1 IP, some extra strength, Reakt, and 2 social dice isn't that huge of a difference.  If you nuke the IP and move the saved points elsewhere, you might be able to end up being an alright face which is neat and actually noteworthy.

I'll also drop the Adrenaline Pump.  You're already going to be walking around at your augmented max for agility and reaction.  +2 strength is meh.  +2 willpower is nice, but for the amount of essence, cash (even with a -40% discount), and unresisted stun damage, I don't see it being worth it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #8 on: <12-14-11/1219:00> »
Builds like this make me love one of my table rules as a GM:

I powergame as a GM, as much as the player who powergames the most at my tables.

Its led to an interesting dynamic in terms of character creation.   8)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <12-14-11/1526:35> »
And that, nakano, is a rule every GM should live by. +1 to you, sir.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #10 on: <12-14-11/1554:59> »
LOL...

First experience with that particular table rule was in L5R.  The players that had been at the table the longest were very insistant that folks not screw up the balance of power.  They had all been gaming long enough to appreciate that it only takes 1 totally overpowered character to impact everyone's enjoyment.

It got funny enough that one of the players stole my red sharpie of justice and began to pre-approve characters. 

I guess that is what you get for running the shadows etc with a variety of former larpers.

Crash_00

« Reply #11 on: <12-14-11/2254:14> »
Yes, but this still prefers to animal features(like Quils, cat eyes etc.) not all bioware.
So yeah good luck finding a sucker that lets you use that build, it's really isn't an example of whats possible RAW, but an example of what you can get with severe rukles mangling.

To expand on this I'd like to first point out the relevant bits that these builds always ignore:
Most
and
Animal Features

Now, tell me what animals are smarter than humans, because cerebral boosters are increasing your human Logic?
What animal is the Synaptic Booster 3 coming from (Cats get 2 IPs (equivalent of a 1) due to their lightning speed)?

As a GM I know I sure as hell wouldn't let animal features be taken for anything other than...you know...animal features. Like the ones that Max was suggesting. This is pretty blatant attempting to exploit a loophole that isn't really there.

Katrex

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <12-14-11/2309:58> »
I just can't get that excited by the build.  For all of the convincing you'll have to do, you end up with a guy who's not much better than Umaro's Ghost.  +1 IP, some extra strength, Reakt, and 2 social dice isn't that huge of a difference.  If you nuke the IP and move the saved points elsewhere, you might be able to end up being an alright face which is neat and actually noteworthy.

I'll also drop the Adrenaline Pump.  You're already going to be walking around at your augmented max for agility and reaction.  +2 strength is meh.  +2 willpower is nice, but for the amount of essence, cash (even with a -40% discount), and unresisted stun damage, I don't see it being worth it.

Actually you'll find the adrenaline pump increases his agility from 10 to 12, Also consider its like 1 stun damage for one round... how many fights last more than 4 or 8 initiative passes. When you have more ip's adrenaline pump becomes a worthwhile investment.
Also like I said i could make the build better but i was themeing it.

For and for those wondering about react and synch, it lets you dodge without declaring if you need to.

Also this character has a  higher dodge pool, a higher logic ,  better athletics, better spell resistance, higher body, oh and is actualy very good at unarmed. Further since entirely biowared will not come up on sensors and is a lot harder to assense. He can walk in to a secure location and kill the person with his fists if need be.
And don't forget it was not an optimum build that I made it was just an example.

Also at no point did I suggest you try to run it. But it makes for a good character for a gm to use. Also note the only reason i didn't put his guns dice pool higher is in a lot of games you're capped at 20 dice. Otherwise he could happily get 25 dice.

Edit Oh, and actualy the cerebral booster was bought normally incase you want to upgrade it. But its been shown that dolphins have a higher evolved neo cortex capable of much greater processing power, some insect nervous systems have much more efficient neural pathways, cats have much more elastic muscles and so forth. And that's just today, who knows what the awakened world, and the UGE could have concocted.

Also what's up with all the negative votes I'm not actually suggesting you run it, it's just a mental excersise.
« Last Edit: <12-14-11/2316:26> by Katrex »

Crash_00

« Reply #13 on: <12-14-11/2337:23> »
Actually you'll find the adrenaline pump increases his agility from 10 to 12, Also consider its like 1 stun damage for one round... how many fights last more than 4 or 8 initiative passes. When you have more ip's adrenaline pump becomes a worthwhile investment.

Is he an elf or human? If he's human, then 10 is his augmented max and Adrenaline Pump cannot increase it any further than that. If he's elf...well...I don't see any mention of it, but that would allow him to get to 12 with the Genetic Opt. Personally I still wouldn't go with the adrenaline booster and I'd just pick up a couple more levels of Muscle Toner in game after it starts.

Surge III (Biocompatibility, Spellresistance 4)
When did Biocompatability and Magic Resistance become Metagenic Qualities?

Edit Oh, and actualy the cerebral booster was bought normally incase you want to upgrade it. But its been shown that dolphins have a higher evolved neo cortex capable of much greater processing power, some insect nervous systems have much more efficient neural pathways, cats have much more elastic muscles and so forth. And that's just today, who knows what the awakened world, and the UGE could have concocted.

In SR they have and LOG and INT of 4. That may be good enough to warrant ONE level of cerebral booster, but I wouldn't even allow that as a GM. The point of animal feature is to gain things that animals have that humans don't. Humans can get intelligence higher than that. Humans don't have Cat's Eyes, Gills, Quills, Echolocation, Gecko Hands, etc. That is what Animal Feature is blatantly intended for. Ignoring it isn't a clever loophole, its the same kind of blatant disregard for the rules as "forgetting" to take wound penalties.

Also what's up with all the negative votes I'm not actually suggesting you run it, it's just a mental excersise.
It's not a new build, it's been around a while, and it's not really a "build" since it disregards the rules. Claiming a GM can be talked into allowing it is the same as me proposing a build in which my character has Thor Shots loaded into his cyberarms...but the GM can be talked into allowing it. Talking a GM into allowing a build like this usually involves taking a new GM and not explaining the build very well to them.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <12-15-11/0732:49> »

For and for those wondering about react and synch, it lets you dodge without declaring if you need to.

Also this character has a  higher dodge pool, a higher logic ,  better athletics, better spell resistance, higher body, oh and is actualy very good at unarmed. Further since entirely biowared will not come up on sensors and is a lot harder to assense. He can walk in to a secure location and kill the person with his fists if need be.
And don't forget it was not an optimum build that I made it was just an example.

I have him as an elf with genetic optimization (agility), giving him an natural max of 8 and an augmented max of 12.  With muscle toner 4 (you are giving him those right?), superthyroid, and a base agility of 7, that's a 12 agility and he's capped. 

The adrenaline pump can't be turned off once activated (SR4A 345).  So you have your 1 turn combat and then sitting around waiting for the hangover. 

He's better than the ghost, but not that much better.  Reakt and Synch don't do anything for your dodge per se.  They're a passive boost to your defense roll.  They're nice, but they're not exactly hard to get.  Athletics rolls are basically there to stop the GM from getting pissy at you.  As for unarmed combat, the ghost simply didn't choose to be unarmed.  Change his heavy weapons skill to unarmed and a shock glove and the Ghost is nearly as good at melee.  No cyberware is nice in theory, but fetishizing that just leads to Magicrun. 

The whole point of this exercise is to see how crazy of a dude you can make with no avail restrictions and a -40% discount on bioware.  This isn't NPC fodder since NPCs don't care about avail and cost as much as PCs.

When did Biocompatability and Magic Resistance become Metagenic Qualities?
He's looking at the "Other Metagenetic Qualities" section in Runner's Companion page 110 which lists them as possible metagenetic qualities.