NEWS

Possibly the "best" build from a min-max perspective

• 52 Replies

x6u

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <12-15-11/0816:54> »
The adrenaline pump can't be turned off once activated (SR4A 345).  So you have your 1 turn combat and then sitting around waiting for the hangover.

Man, what a hangover. I was looking at the adrenaline pump as a potential way for mundanes to juice up their magic resistance, but the side effects are a real kick in the teeth. If you have a rating 3 pump and roll a 6, which is eventually going to happen, you're looking at eating 18S unresisted stun damage. Not worth it, though it's an awesome sort of irony to win a fight with the aid of your trusty adrenaline pump, and then it wears off and instantly kills you.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #16 on: <12-15-11/1050:40> »
Now, tell me what animals are smarter than humans, because cerebral boosters are increasing your human Logic?
What animal is the Synaptic Booster 3 coming from (Cats get 2 IPs (equivalent of a 1) due to their lightning speed)?

It's not about them being smarter, which is a function of complex neural structuring, so much as their neurons being able to tick over faster.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-15-11/1417:54> »
Also what's up with all the negative votes I'm not actually suggesting you run it, it's just a mental excersise.
Might be the fact that "mental excersises"(and i use that term very lightly) in rules breaking like this one is are worse then useless(as they might make some one believe its RAW and cause a lot of crief to that persons GM)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Crash_00

« Reply #18 on: <12-15-11/2250:40> »
It's not about them being smarter, which is a function of complex neural structuring, so much as their neurons being able to tick over faster.

Which I would point to INT for rather than logic. INT is for processing fast and LOG is for memorizing fast. Cerebral Boosters improve brain function, it never says they speed it up any. Unfortunately, I haven't found any INT boosters aside from drugs.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #19 on: <12-15-11/2311:04> »

Which I would point to INT for rather than logic. INT is for processing fast and LOG is for memorizing fast. Cerebral Boosters improve brain function, it never says they speed it up any. Unfortunately, I haven't found any INT boosters aside from drugs.

Okay, I may have phrased that wrong. An animal with a tiny brain may, in fact, be using what it has car better than a human does, but it doesn't act smarter because it's brain is the size of a pea.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #20 on: <12-15-11/2318:08> »
Cerebral Booster doesn't do that though, it adds more brain. There isn't any increase in efficiency, there is an increase in what's there. Animal Features doesn't say that is allows for stat changes to be the same, but for the function to be the same.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #21 on: <12-16-11/0800:24> »
Also what's up with all the negative votes I'm not actually suggesting you run it, it's just a mental excersise.

Didn't give you a negative; but I'm guessing some people might have a problem with the claim that this is the "best".
It's a minmax build, sure, but the best, that's a pretty big claim.

Personally I don't really mind the theoretical mathematical exercises; though using optional rules and stuff that needs GM permission shouldn't be part of it.
« Last Edit: <12-16-11/0801:59> by Xzylvador »

Katrex

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <12-16-11/1140:45> »
Hmm. Annoying I have to repeat this but I didn't suggest you actually try to run the build. the "good luck getting your gm to let you run it" was a joke.
Anyway no, he only has muscle toner 2, and I didn't ignore availability limits, I bought restricted gear for the super thyroid. The only thing I did ignore availability limits was the synaptic booster, which as I addressed in the first post could be happily changed if you or your gm had a problem with that interpretation of the rules.

Also I did say Possibly the best, not definitely the best. 40% off is very strong no matter how you look at it. So is being able to dumpstat agility with mind over matter, and so is playing a pixie. Those are in my mind the best builds from a min maxers point of view, and also about equally broken (imho)

the reason this one might well be "better" is because you don't stand out like a sore thumb, you don't have foci to carry around that cant go through wards, you're not a flying rare pixie, you're just an ordinary guy with no cyberware

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #23 on: <12-16-11/1219:23> »
what about the mage with a Force 4 power focus and a Force 5 health sustaining focus at creation, with magic 6 and spellcasting 6, who binds some good Force combat spirits as soon as the game starts? Stunbolt/ball all over the place with 4 IPs and 16+ dice!

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <12-18-11/1125:45> »
A legal starting character, assuming restricted gear x 2.  There are lots of legitimate ways to make powerful characters, although ones that don't fit the power level of the GM's campaign still might not get ratified by him.

The rules exploit exercises, to me, are useful, because they show the GM things to watch out for.  Plus, when the build's dodgy rules interpretations and flaws get pointed out, the GM can use that to reign in a player that tries something similar.

bdyer

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <12-18-11/1737:57> »
I made an unarmed sleath char that had much better combat ability I remeber punching a spirit for 27 dmg once before armor.  He was also getting about 20 dice on stealth rolls.  I knew he would never everrr pass a con roll so I pumped up his initimdate for any social interactions.    His main weakness was once spotted he was kinda of noticable.  Something I didn't think would be a problem for an infiltration expert with unarmed combat.

Turns out everything normal thing I did.  Go home, get on an airplane, meet up with the running group I always had problems because of how noticable I was.  The gm was always hacking my comlink or coning me whenever the face wasn't around.

Point is, you can min-max a char to be good at 2-3 things but if the GM thinks its too good, he is gonna find where your character is horrible at and put it in those situtations.  So there is "never" a best.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <12-18-11/1831:24> »
I made an unarmed sleath char that had much better combat ability I remeber punching a spirit for 27 dmg once before armor.  He was also getting about 20 dice on stealth rolls.  I knew he would never everrr pass a con roll so I pumped up his initimdate for any social interactions.    His main weakness was once spotted he was kinda of noticable.  Something I didn't think would be a problem for an infiltration expert with unarmed combat.

Turns out everything normal thing I did.  Go home, get on an airplane, meet up with the running group I always had problems because of how noticable I was.  The gm was always hacking my comlink or coning me whenever the face wasn't around.

Point is, you can min-max a char to be good at 2-3 things but if the GM thinks its too good, he is gonna find where your character is horrible at and put it in those situtations.  So there is "never" a best.

If the GM is constantly throwing you into a whole lot of stuff that the character isn't meant for, then he/she is a very poor GM in my opinion. Sure, do it occasionally, but not any more than once every fifth or sixth session. More than that and it's just looking to screw the player over.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #27 on: <12-20-11/1404:38> »
If the GM is constantly throwing you into a whole lot of stuff that the character isn't meant for, then he/she is a very poor GM in my opinion. Sure, do it occasionally, but not any more than once every fifth or sixth session. More than that and it's just looking to screw the player over.
How does this work?  5/6 of the time everything is supposed to be a glorified cakewalk, then you may or may not come up against something that is more than the typical self love fest? 

As a GM I have better things to do with my time then watch Some Guy roll buckets o'dicepool but whines and bitches if something happens that his buckets o'dicepool can't stop.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <12-20-11/1413:11> »
No, most of the time the character goes up against things that are challenges against which their specialty helps. So Punchwizard goes up against tough melee spirits or big groups of decently tough melee opponents or rampaging paracritters. Then, occasionally, people get thrown out of their element. If it's nothing BUT people getting thrown out of their element, session after session, that's not very fun except as a GM power trip.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <12-20-11/1525:04> »
No, most of the time the character goes up against things that are challenges against which their specialty helps. So Punchwizard goes up against tough melee spirits or big groups of decently tough melee opponents or rampaging paracritters. Then, occasionally, people get thrown out of their element. If it's nothing BUT people getting thrown out of their element, session after session, that's not very fun except as a GM power trip.

This is all I was saying. Oh, and whoever did the -1, thanks, I guess I could've used a bit of levelling out on that scale.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen