NEWS

Favorite piece of Gear

• 341 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <09-04-10/0022:22> »
Now, I'm all about the commlinks ('natch). But I've noticed a two new trends in the PAN business:

[Arsenal, p. 58]

Personality Software - This bit of software can be installed on everything from your Commlink to your Panther Cannon to your Mr. Soykaf. Their are a bunch of 'official' personalities out there, plus a ton I've seen some hackers whip up (some guys REALLY like their soykaf with a Maria Mercurial purring about the temp of the water <shakes head>). It doesn't actually *make* your equipment more intelligent, but some runners live by it, saying that it makes their stuff more 'user-friendly'. Personally, I've seen enough AIs and Technomancer's sprites around the 'trix that I don't know if I want my equipment backtalking me. But what do I know? I'm old.

[Arsenal, p. 34]
Weapon Commlinks - What's the Razorguy to do when he doesn't want to lug around a hunk of plastic with all his info on it, but doesn't have room in his head to install the Commlink internally? Why, install it on his gun, of course. The obvious downside to this, is that you gotta carry your gun everywhere. But most sammies I know do that anyway (even to the Stuffer Shack at two in the afternoon - I swear, if I hear of another gun battle splattering foodstuffs everywhere, I'm going to shut down production of your favorite slushies for a year). And hey, if you include the Personality Software, you can finally live out that old Marine fantasy:

Quote from: An old movie you kids ain't never heard of
This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen. [/url]

Random

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <09-04-10/0121:21> »
[Arsenal, p. 34]
Weapon Commlinks - What's the Razorguy to do when he doesn't want to lug around a hunk of plastic with all his info on it, but doesn't have room in his head to install the Commlink internally? Why, install it on his gun, of course. The obvious downside to this, is that you gotta carry your gun everywhere. But most sammies I know do that anyway (even to the Stuffer Shack at two in the afternoon - I swear, if I hear of another gun battle splattering foodstuffs everywhere, I'm going to shut down production of your favorite slushies for a year). And hey, if you include the Personality Software, you can finally live out that old Marine fantasy:

Commlink with a motorised tripod and a Barret Model 121 sniper rifle a couple hundred yards away in a window overseeing your extraction point can really get you out of a tough spot.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #2 on: <09-04-10/0134:54> »
[Arsenal, p. 34]

Commlink with a motorised tripod and a Barret Model 121 sniper rifle a couple hundred yards away in a window overseeing your extraction point can really get you out of a tough spot.
Get your gearhead to add a Propulsion System [Arsenal, p. 152] and the fraggin' thing can fly, covering you from the air...

Random

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-04-10/0142:19> »
Get your gearhead to add a Propulsion System [Arsenal, p. 152] and the fraggin' thing can fly, covering you from the air...
[/quote]

Good point, altought the stealthier method is bit more confusing for your opposition, since they if don't know if you have an extra sniper on your team and don't know from what angle they should take you cover. Plus if you happen to have put your shinny new sniper/drone in a hotel room, you just happen to have a place to stay for things to cool down for the night without compromising your main crib. And please remove and replace the glass of the window your shooting from  :D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #4 on: <09-04-10/0147:18> »
I just recommend upgrading the software on your gun (Smartlink™ plus Sensor and put a dog-brain Pilot on it)! Don't want to have to rely on sending a wireless command to fire the gun that could be jammed or, even worse, hacked (:P). Better to have it be able to choose targets and fire on its own.

Of course, the other problem is that once you put all that money into the gun, you're going to want a way to retrieve it. Which can get difficult if the opposition sends their people to the sniper's roost.

Heh... It might be cheaper just to hire your buddy with a sniper rifle.

Random

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <09-04-10/0152:14> »
Ya... Pilot and smartlink is a must.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-05-10/0303:37> »
But, really, do we want guns that are smarter than their sammies?
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

GBL

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <09-05-10/0308:00> »
But, really, do we want guns that are smarter than their sammies?

Its not hard to be that smart  :D

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #8 on: <09-06-10/0326:28> »
Most sammies I deal with may not have been born with much for brains, but they certainly had them installed after a couple paychecks...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <09-06-10/0348:49> »
Yeah, I don't know how many times I've had sammies come up and apologize for previous behaviors/comments after they've gotten that encephalon microprocessor installed.

Inverse

• Newb
  • Fireball!
« Reply #10 on: <09-06-10/0406:44> »
Even after the upgrade they're still jellyfish brains, speaking from personal experience at least.
Oh, source of all power, light which burns beyond crimson, let thy power gather in my hand.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #11 on: <09-06-10/1725:19> »
I've been partial to the combat ax wielding troll ever sense they talked about it in I think second edtion.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #12 on: <09-06-10/1739:18> »
I've been a fan of folding submachine guns since I first heard of the real life Ares FMG.  The Ares was copied by the Russians, and inspired the MagPul FMG-9.

Too bad the Shadowrun versions (first introduced in Arsenal) are worse than the real life weapons.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #13 on: <09-06-10/1740:38> »
Yeah but most of the weapons in real life don't translate well to Shadowrun.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <09-06-10/1801:13> »
I love the Ares Thunderstruck Gauss Rifle (Arsenal p.30). For those who know about that gun, any ideas if it's possible to recharge the power pack with magic, like a controlled thunderbolt something like that?
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Register