NEWS

Monofilament Whip

• 112 Replies

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #60 on: <10-04-11/0025:36> »
It's the Lightsabre (AKA:  Glowy Stick of Death) of Shadowrun, people.  It's cool.  It's wonderful.  It's expensive.  It's rare.  It's REALLY hard to use.

Have a nice night.

You had to say that word. Here's hoping a series of threads about Jedi in Shadowrun aren't about to spawn (again)...

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #61 on: <10-04-11/0212:06> »
Hate to break it to you guys but a LIGHTWHIP already exists in the Starwars universe.

Check it out here => Lightwhip
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #62 on: <10-04-11/1009:08> »
Hate to break it to you guys but a LIGHTWHIP already exists in the Starwars universe.

Who comes up with this drek.  Ok, physics can describe a lightsaber, but not a lightwhip.  Lucasfilms shame on you for allowing that into cannon.  At least the way they did.
Living the Electronic Dream

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <10-04-11/1449:25> »

Who comes up with this drek.  Ok, physics can describe a lightsaber, but not a lightwhip.  Lucasfilms shame on you for allowing that into cannon.  At least the way they did.

As far as I know, you can adjust a lightsaber to pretty much make any shape you want. The key is forming the containment field into the shape you want. If you REALLY wanted for example you could have a Katana Lightsaber. They have staff/spear lightsabers, double bladed, curve hilt, shoto sabers. You can even adjust the length of a lightsaber to more like a claymore. 3 meter long lightsaber blade is possible, can't remember who was weilding one that long but that's a long as reach considering no counter balance and effortless to hold up. Believe I also saw a lightsaber with a mini saber hilt guard near the bottom. Carefull not to cut your hand!

Everyone told me a black lightsaber was impossible they also allowed that one to show up recently in the Force unleashed games loooong after I "made it up". :P too bad i couldn't get some money for that.

[/end star wars rant]

P.S. you can tell I run a starwars RPG website almost just from me knowing that. xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #64 on: <10-04-11/1519:40> »
Guy in the Darth Bane novel had a three meter saber. he was described as one of the biggest humans on the known galaxy.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #65 on: <10-04-11/1550:02> »
Also a dual-phase lightsabre that has two lengths that you can switch to in order to confuse you opponent by switching combat styles in the middle of a fight.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Monofilament Whips.  I was just comparing the "Ultra-Cool Limb Slicey Devices" of two different universes.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <10-04-11/1607:29> »
Also a dual-phase lightsabre that has two lengths that you can switch to in order to confuse you opponent by switching combat styles in the middle of a fight.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with Monofilament Whips.  I was just comparing the "Ultra-Cool Limb Slicey Devices" of two different universes.

That's on par with deactivating your lightsaber and reactivating it on the otherside of the opponent's vibroblade/lightsaber.

>.> Also should be noted Darth Bane was a badass, but I still like Darth Revan the best :P. (more because he's not really entirely evil xD)

Anyways we are getting WAAAAAAY off topic. I call you all out! now back to the whip!

>.> which some reason that just registered my mind with a monofiliment whip and kinky sex..... the image didn't end too well for the guy in it. XD (that's what cyberware is for tho right? xD)

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <10-04-11/1640:38> »
Monofilament whips are really scary.  Think about in Johnny Mnemonic what happened to that dang yak.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #68 on: <10-04-11/2100:04> »
Monofilament whips are really scary.  Think about in Johnny Mnemonic what happened to that dang yak.
Think about what happened to all the guys that ran into before Johnny pulled that trick.

I'm with the Bartender...  Someone's always gotta clean up the damned mess.  I really pity the Janitors of Shadowrun.  Mainly as I was a Janitor at one time.  Yeah, if I ever get published I'll be able to do the "All the weird jobs I had in life" bit pretty well...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Preacher

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <10-04-11/2118:42> »
What's so scary about them compared to other weapons?

The only advantage they have against any other Reach 2 weapon is the damage code.  If someone has the skill to use a monofilament whip well, they could do nearly as much damage with any other melee weapon.  Just put the guy up against a troll melee character wielding a claymore, give him comparable skill and Agility ratings, and... well, I don't see the problem.  Even if he's relatively average Strength for a troll (Strength 8), he'll have Reach 3, a base DV of 8P, and a -2 AP versus the monowhip's Reach 2, 8P, -4.  Or hell, just put him up against a crazy specialized adept wielding a butter knife, but with a dice pool that's miles ahead of the monowhip wielder's.  Melee is all about winning the opposed test.

The monowhip is no more 'overpowered' than, say, a Ruger Super Warhawk.  Sure, if you compare it to a Streetline Special it looks ridiculously OP, but it really isn't all that much.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <10-04-11/2127:48> »
How many melee weapons do 8 damage with that much of a negative to AP?  None.  Not to mention it is designed to cut through anything.  ANYTHING! Oh look, your gun just got cut in half by my mono molecular whip.  Those things are scary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #71 on: <10-04-11/2129:49> »
"There goes your pistol.  There go your fingers.  There goes your hand.  There goes your forearm.  Want to give up now and just lie there, bleeding on the floor?  Aw, you went and got my boots dirty.  There goes your HEAD!"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Preacher

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <10-04-11/2145:23> »
How many melee weapons do 8 damage with that much of a negative to AP?  None.  Not to mention it is designed to cut through anything.  ANYTHING! Oh look, your gun just got cut in half by my mono molecular whip.  Those things are scary.
I'm guessing you didn't read my post in full.  Also, stun weapons are far more effective against heavily armored opponents.

Also, the "cut through anything" bit is pure house ruling on your part.  It does no such thing.  It cuts through things more easily than other weapons, but it's not this super wonder insta-severing cosmic wonder weapon you're making it out to be.

Again:  The damage codes don't mean anything if you don't have the dice pools to back it up.  And if you have the dice pools to back it up, you'd be deadly with just about any melee weapon you got your hands on.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <10-04-11/2201:43> »
I'm guessing you didn't read my post in full.  Also, stun weapons are far more effective against heavily armored opponents.

Also, the "cut through anything" bit is pure house ruling on your part.  It does no such thing.  It cuts through things more easily than other weapons, but it's not this super wonder insta-severing cosmic wonder weapon you're making it out to be.

Again:  The damage codes don't mean anything if you don't have the dice pools to back it up.  And if you have the dice pools to back it up, you'd be deadly with just about any melee weapon you got your hands on.

Every other melee weapon the damage is based off of Strength.  Not the Monofilament Whip.  The AP is scary how many melee weapons have that high an AP?  And actually if you read the fluff for Shadowrun, yeah it does.  There is nothing scarier in the fluff than the whip.

Preacher

• Newb
« Reply #74 on: <10-04-11/2223:54> »
Every other melee weapon the damage is based off of Strength.  Not the Monofilament Whip.  The AP is scary how many melee weapons have that high an AP?  And actually if you read the fluff for Shadowrun, yeah it does.  There is nothing scarier in the fluff than the whip.
You should go re-read it yourself.  Even if you glitch, you only do the base damage code to yourself.  Nothing is automatically severed.  And every melee stun weapon (gloves, batons, etc.) have a higher AP of -half, with the AZ-150 being 7S with electrical damage to boot..  Not that AP is the end-all be-all stat you seem to be making it out to be.

And, yet again, I never said the monofilament whip wasn't a strong weapon.  It's just not this allegedly overpowered and unstoppable weapon some people in this thread are making it out to be, yourself included.  It's a great choice for anyone with a low Strength score, but that's about it.  It's like ranting on about the aforementioned Ruger Super Warhawk loaded with armor piercing rounds being mindbogglingly overpowered when you compare it to a Streetline Special with regular rounds  That doesn't make the Ruger overpowered.  At best, it means hold-out pistols need some loving.  This is true with melee weapons, too.

And, also again, a guy wielding a survival knife with a dice pool of 20 is going to stomp all over a guy wielding a monofilament whip with a dice pool of 8 nearly every time.  Just like a guy with a monofilament whip with a dice pool of 20 is going to ruin the day of a guy with a survival knife and a dice pool of 8 nearly every time.  Dice pools > weapon stats, especially in melee.
« Last Edit: <10-04-11/2225:41> by Preacher »

Register