NEWS

Monofilament Whip

• 112 Replies

Big_J

• Newb
« on: <09-30-11/1108:42> »
Any ideas how to confound or how to defend against a p.c. wielding one?

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #1 on: <09-30-11/1116:15> »
Have opponents keep him at a distance to negate melee combat, is the simplest way.

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: <09-30-11/1137:09> »
As mentioned already avoid melee combat.  Other options include putting PC cover in the way, closing and disarming, or a personal fave of mine:  a taste of their own medicine.  Any of these should work. 

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-30-11/1144:53> »
Shoot him from a very long way away.
Set a pack of Barghests on him.
Have Lone Star search him, take it away, and then throw him in the lock-up besides a mad and lonely troll named Bubba.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-30-11/1753:52> »
For other options, I suppose we'd have to know what the character was like that was making the Monofilament Whip a problem - a Hacker or a Face with a low combat skill using one is a little different to a Troll Street Samurai or Physical Adept with maxed out skills using one.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <09-30-11/1806:59> »
Remember to use the glitch and critical glitch rules, that thing has a nasty backfire.

Also, invest in better impact armor and stay out of melee.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <09-30-11/1839:25> »
Fully Automatic Shotgun.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #7 on: <09-30-11/1854:14> »
1.) Take a Roto-drone
2.) Take 4 Mono-whips
3.) Attach Mono-whips to Rotors of Roto-drone
4.) Sic it on the player

On a more realistic note, the mono-ship has like twenty years of notoriety in game. Anyone that sees the dude pool it out is going to immediately try to frag the dude with the mono-whip unless they just flat out can't. And I don't just mean shoot him, I mean overkill. I feel free to chunk grenades, FA fire, and overcast powerbolts on guys with them, because that's what the sec guards would be doing. It's a terrifying weapon. If they don't have anything of the like, run away. Lock themselves in a Sec Room and call Rapid Response backup. After all, anyone that can get their hands on a mono-whip and feels comfortable using it is a much higher threat than what your average joe rent-a-cop is paid to deal with.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <09-30-11/1859:16> »
What exactly is the threat that the average Joe Rent-a-Cop paid for, anyhow?  I mean, considering the pay rate, I doubt they'd even want to tangle with the geriatrics with canes.  They could get beaten badly, after all...  Or written up and fired for tasering them after the severe beating they got from cane-weilding Granny.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-30-11/1924:17> »
What exactly is the threat that the average Joe Rent-a-Cop paid for, anyhow?  I mean, considering the pay rate, I doubt they'd even want to tangle with the geriatrics with canes.  They could get beaten badly, after all...  Or written up and fired for tasering them after the severe beating they got from cane-weilding Granny.

Yeah - they're pretty much "spot problem, report problem, eat donuts, go home to family" - no sense being a hero. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <09-30-11/1927:01> »
Rent-a-Cop:  "To Observe and Report"

Oh, wait, they can harass young kids for being "Potential Shoplifters" due to chronological profiling!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-30-11/1928:58> »
Rent-a-Cop:  "To Observe and Report"

Oh, wait, they can harass young kids for being "Potential Shoplifters" due to chronological profiling!  ;D

That's all part of the "choosing your battles" code that these guys live by. Also known as "how to feel like a Big Man" :P

Crash_00

« Reply #12 on: <09-30-11/1932:21> »
The way I personally play normal rent-a-cops/security guards is that anything larger than a heavy pistol will cause them to call in back as will overwhelming numbers. I see them as their to keep the ever present gangers at bay and maybe deal with the occasional "I can't believe that SOB fired me" ex-employee with a gun situation. Of course, anytime a weapon is fired (no matter what kind) they call in backup as they respond or hide.

So when a group of runners come strolling in carrying ARs, howitzers and a random kitchen sink, most of my sec guards (unless they're highly trained for a secure location/headquarters type job) will immediately grab good cover and call in back up rather than engage them. It drives my group crazy, but I feel that it makes more sense from a role-playing perspective. I mean, if I were making 50 bucks an hour (far more than the average sec guard in 2072 I would wager) I still wouldn't try to take on a team of para-military armed guys when all i have is a 9mm or .45. I'd hide, get the License Plate, and if I were feeling ridiculously adventurous maybe pull their valve stems so they have to get away on four flats.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-30-11/1934:50> »
"Why do you bring that kitchen sink everywhere, Mungo?"  "Came in handy first 'Run.  Good luck charm.  Also, handy for hitting other Trolls with."  "Ah yes, nothing like a good bit of stainless steel, I agree."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <09-30-11/1943:38> »
The way I personally play normal rent-a-cops/security guards is that anything larger than a heavy pistol will cause them to call in back as will overwhelming numbers. I see them as their to keep the ever present gangers at bay and maybe deal with the occasional "I can't believe that SOB fired me" ex-employee with a gun situation. Of course, anytime a weapon is fired (no matter what kind) they call in backup as they respond or hide.

So when a group of runners come strolling in carrying ARs, howitzers and a random kitchen sink, most of my sec guards (unless they're highly trained for a secure location/headquarters type job) will immediately grab good cover and call in back up rather than engage them. It drives my group crazy, but I feel that it makes more sense from a role-playing perspective. I mean, if I were making 50 bucks an hour (far more than the average sec guard in 2072 I would wager) I still wouldn't try to take on a team of para-military armed guys when all i have is a 9mm or .45. I'd hide, get the License Plate, and if I were feeling ridiculously adventurous maybe pull their valve stems so they have to get away on four flats.

IMNSHO, that's how they should be played. Part of being a good GM is knowing how to step into the role of your NPCs - "if I was a Rent-o'-Cop, what would I do?". I do the same thing with Lone Star/Knight Errant, and with RR/HTR/FTR/SWAT/whatever. It's not Old School D&D, where your monsters act without rhyme or reason and are there to fight the PCs to the death.