NEWS

Missions FAQ Additions?

• 247 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <11-02-11/1954:55> »
Also asked before - no, but the "generic" element damage spells (ie, the ones listed on the table, like Laser and Boom) are allowed.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #61 on: <11-03-11/1817:48> »
I searched all through the FAQ and this thread...I don't see anyone else asking that. Where has it been asked before, and why isn't it in the main Missions material yet? I would think this is a pretty major aspect of the game for most mage players, myself especially.

*Sigh*. well, thank you.

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #62 on: <11-04-11/0707:46> »
Its because Missions doesn't allow optional rules. None of the optional rules being permitted preempts a lot of the 'create your own x' content like traditions, streams, spells, etc.
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #63 on: <11-04-11/1122:21> »
The FAQ needs updated some, and it's on my "to do" list.  Unfortunately, as always, that's a very, very long list and I have limited time.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #64 on: <11-04-11/1437:48> »
Somewhere on Dumpshock, IIRC? I said it was asked before to explain why I knew (since I'm not Bull), rather than to imply that you should already know.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #65 on: <11-04-11/1747:30> »
Somewhere on Dumpshock, IIRC? I said it was asked before to explain why I knew (since I'm not Bull), rather than to imply that you should already know.

I think a lot of it is common sense - if your turn up to a Missions game with something that a GM may possibly say no to, then it's out.

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #66 on: <11-04-11/1854:18> »
I find what a GM says no to varies wildly between games, especially given the way things like the Matrix and Cyber limbs work.

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #67 on: <11-05-11/0607:48> »
I find what a GM says no to varies wildly between games, especially given the way things like the Matrix and Cyber limbs work.

To reinforce what squee-naboob said... one warning I give my friends when they mention that some things are GM-discretion is that just because one GM permits it does not obligate a future GM to permit it. Having a potential 'hole' in a character sheet usually makes GM-discretionary options less attractive and reaalllly close to a no.

YMMV of course, but as a guideline you just can't count on them in a CGL Demo Team run game. Now in a home game if the GM always allows it, hey, go crazy! ;-)
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <11-05-11/0620:18> »
That was kinda my point - if you think that it might be something that you need to explain, then it's best not to include it.

As an example - having a Skill Group is fine in every game - being able to split that Skill Group at CharGen is a bit iffy, so if I were making a Missions Character, I wouldn't do it.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <11-05-11/1006:51> »
I'm fine with no "at the GM's discretion" options being allowed, although I do hope the new FAQ contains rulings on how some stuff that's not supposed to be at GM discretion but doesn't have a clear way it works, works (eg, Swap, Heightened Concentration, Critical Strike, etc).

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #70 on: <11-05-11/1243:57> »
To clarify, it's not so much a matter of "what might a GM say no to?" as it is "what's clearly marked as an optional rule?"

squee_nabob

• Chummer
« Reply #71 on: <11-05-11/1249:24> »
To clarify, it's not so much a matter of "what might a GM say no to?" as it is "what's clearly marked as an optional rule?"

Yes, that is what the rules are, I was objecting to Phylos' interpretation of that though which is "what might a GM say no to?"

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #72 on: <11-06-11/0043:35> »
It isn't explicitly marked as optional content at all until "Step 7: Final Touches." I went and read through it all again, the first mention that it is optional at all is: "Keep in mind that the gamemaster always has final approval over whether or not a new spell will be allowed into her game."

It's a pity. I like making the earth element attack spell and calling it meteor, which has the enhanced knockdown also possessed by water but isn't much different otherwise save in fluff.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <11-06-11/0120:57> »

Yes, that is what the rules are, I was objecting to Phylos' interpretation of that though which is "what might a GM say no to?"

My bad - I meant that as a guideline as well as the no optional rules. Guess I just didn't explain it that well. Some people, I find, use interesting interpretations of core rules that aren't optional rules per se, but wouldn't fly in a Missions game.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #74 on: <11-07-11/0108:18> »
It's a common bit of advice that applies to any game.

Using any rules option that is of questionable interpretation is a bad idea in a situation where you don't know your next GM, or how he views that rule.

If a particular rules interpretation is questionable, eventually a gamemaster WILL question it.

At least, if you DO use one, and later get burned because a GM rules against you, have the good grace not to cry or whine about it.

-k