NEWS

Harrassing Runners

• 35 Replies

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« on: <04-24-11/1801:25> »
What are some of the better/funnier/imaginitive ways you have helped/harrassed your runners? Myself, i enjoy throwing red herrings in front of thier faces. Like 2 foot thick steel doors in an unassuming apartment building, so they spend their resources trying to blow open the door instead of finishing thier mission. And blowing up half the building in the process. I hope they dont read this... ;D

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-24-11/1852:39> »
I just don't give them a hint that they're way over complicating things and let them spin their own wheels.  I pulled a couple of really cleaver twists early on, now everything seems diabolical to them. 

Best thing to get them scared is for me to make something be exactly what it seems to be - they just can't believe it and invent something worse then I could come up with and plan for that.

I'm beaming with pride right now, both for the perception they have of my GMing skill and my player's paranoia.  I must have done something right.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #2 on: <04-24-11/1907:34> »
My longest running harassment tradition?  Any time a group gets too bogged down in planning, loses focus, lacks direction, and has the game stall out...they get a Commando Attack! 

A half dozen mildly cybered guys with suppressed submachineguns, black armor, and balaclavas come rappelling through windows or bursting through doors all around them.  The players invariably wipe the floor with them after suffering a little damage here and there, and then -- ta da! -- they manage to find some sort of clue on one of the corpses, that can give them the nudge they need toward the greater objective.  They realize all the commandos were sporting Ares gear and Ares augmentations, and it "clicks" that their Mister Johnson was an Ares Company Man who's now betraying them, or the commando team leader's communications system can get traced by the party electronics wiz in order to lead them to the bastards who sent them, or whatever.  If nothing else, it tends to remind them that they're criminals in the middle of a shadowrun, and overthinking it and turtling up can be much, much, more dangerous than taking some sort of bold action. 

In my games, I'd rather see them acting with an imperfect plan than see my most of players bored and twiddling their thumbs and feeling frustrated while they try to come up with the absolutely perfect scheme.

So I figure out some way for someone to have sent a team of commandos at the crew, and I drop some sort of clue that can give them a little boot-to-ass and get them moving again.  So far, it's never failed me.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <04-24-11/1951:44> »
I may have to try that one.

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-24-11/2106:18> »
Wow had my thunder stolen on successive posts.

@ Tagz I had a long running game where I had some twists along the way and then the players did the same thing and imagined things at every turn. If you want to up it a notch try these two things that I found made them even more paranoid. 1) call for a perception roll then say "Everything appears to be normal." I got the group's mage to spend more edge(it was karma pool at that time) trying to figure out what he missed. 2) Give the characters news feeds of things going on that really don't have anything to do with the situation and listen to them invent tie ins. The best part is that they will eventually tune it back and then the next twist will get them and start everything all over again, but even more so.

@Critias In the same campaign (it ran weekly for almost two years) the players got so used to the commandos or some sort of attack if they bogged things down that there were instances where the party would be arguing and debating and getting nowhere and one of the players would finally say, "Let's do something before the commandos show up." or something along that lines
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <04-24-11/2128:20> »
I have the Cards of Doom.  Basically, I have various things that can happen and alphabetized using a recipe index and 3x5 cards.  At some point each player roles a twenty and a six sided dice to determine the letter they get.  Then I pick a card based on that and the incident happens.  Good things are in the cards as well as bad.  They still have a mission but flat tires, PMS and curses happen while contest winnings are ignored. ;D

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-24-11/2229:56> »
So you use them just to have randomness in the game, or is there another purpose?
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

John Shull

• Chummer
  • Predictablility kills
« Reply #7 on: <04-24-11/2232:12> »
I GM quite a bit.  I rarely play Shadowrun as the other gamerunners in our group run D&D.  So my groups worst issues is that the NPC's get weird ideas from me.  The worst may be Loserman.   The team, Smileys People, was contracted to snatch a object and there was competition.  SP wins out but the merc in the group, Jack, got his comm hacked.  He has gremlins and so he smashed it to pieces worried about what could happen but still leaving the hacker with just really one good data pic of Jack.  When I told the PC that Jack thought he just got that one pic he said some throw away line like, good luck doing something with that.  It stuck in my brain.  What could a really good hacker do with sorta decent datafile pic of the runner looking into his comm camera, as Jack had done while trying to figure out what was happening to his comm. 

This is what happened: SP crew goes to Germany on a run and comes back a few weeks after the event.  They do the drop of the grab in Barvaria, (yeah, Harliquinn), and on the way back to their safehouse the crew in a taxi has a bus pull up beside the crew.  Jacks face pic dominates about half the bus in a advertisement.  The advertisement ad text pulls up in glowing letters of neon white/green:

"Are you a Loserman?" "Have you never been brave enough to talk to girls? Don't know how to brush your teeth?  A little too friendly with your pets?" " Don't be a Loserman like this guy.  With our help your better than that."  Listed a big Comm-code along side of ad, that went a collection of self-help sites.  Then the ad morphs into, "If you see Loserman immediately post to this site to be entered into a electronic drawing for 100,000 nuyen."  "Picture entries of you with Loserman only please."  Jack's picture never moves as he glares off the bus, now with a Comm-code to the game site. 

The crew stare at me for about 20 seconds before they start playing this out.  They get out of the cab only to find the cabbie wants to get a pic with Loserman.  They let him and its off to the races as people seek out Loserman who just popped up on the big board at the game site.  Think Flash mob amateur popparotzzi seek out a street merc.  The rest of the crew take him into hiding but it proves somewhat problematic.  Everywhere they go they eventually find a new Loserman ad, "Your mom finally caught you in her clothes, cant find anything small enough to measure yourself with, suicide prevention thinks your the exception ... comm- number.  Some of his contacts act like they haven't heard of him.  Jack spins like a top for awhile til they get a line that it was the hacker from a little back.  They spin wheels desperately looking for a lead and hiding place.

Out in the Barrens he finds some solace til the ad zeplins start canvassing Redmond.  He goes through several disguises then the hacker has a powwow via a intermediary with Jack.  Hacker wants what he made on the job he beat him on and to leave Seattle.  Jack puts forth his intention to kill him if he doesn't go away.  The next ads have 100 nuyen for every picture of Loserman verified on our site.  They go deeper undercover and Jack gets desperate.  His team basically goes into hock to a Matrix contact that gives a real world local to the hacker.  Jack, who is talked into one last disguise so embarrassing I cannot go into it as that guy is still my friend and is in Iraq right now, goes with two teamers to the lair of the hacker and takes revenge of the caliber variety.  The crew who I play with still reference this run with shivered dread and thats one of my favorite reasons I like to game.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.  --Sun Tzu

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <04-24-11/2249:36> »
So you use them just to have randomness in the game, or is there another purpose?

Randomness...and the players really like them and secret rolls to add unexpected twists. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <04-24-11/2348:24> »
RFID tags are my group's worst enemy.  They just keep forgetting about them.

Another one I had was an implanted transmitter in a cow they stole that broadcast in huge, bright pink letters:
"I'M BEING STOLEN!!!"

That one made things interesting when they realized that their tag eraser that they finally bought didn't work, and they now needed a signal jammer.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <04-25-11/0727:23> »
RFID tags are my group's worst enemy.  They just keep forgetting about them.

Another one I had was an implanted transmitter in a cow they stole that broadcast in huge, bright pink letters:
"I'M BEING STOLEN!!!"

That one made things interesting when they realized that their tag eraser that they finally bought didn't work, and they now needed a signal jammer.

That is awesome!  Stealing cows...makes me curious.

My group has an upcoming B&E.  It makes me wonder what they'll forget to do. 

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #11 on: <04-25-11/0744:02> »
Sounds like this is more common then i thought.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Blond Goth Girl

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <04-25-11/0836:03> »
But then again......

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #13 on: <04-25-11/0859:45> »
Like I have said in previous posts, in any of my games, especially SR, you reap what you sew. This means you piss someone off, it WILL come back to bite you. Case in point, the rigger who roughed up two off duty 'Star and forgot about their dashcam. Blackmail is a great thing.

Other times I use everyday things that we sometimes forget. Like that reverse alert most commenrcial vans/trucks/etc make when backing up that....well blew all the nice stealth rolls you all just made.

Reminding players of things like dependents works well too. Nothing sucks more than an an inconvenient call from a spouse/parent/child; especially when said runner keeps their activities a secret. I once suggested to a GM friend of mine having a runner with a kid have that kid either show up as a ganger the group had to face, at a club the team was doing legwork at and almost blew their cover, or that the kid got caught in the crossfire. This was in regards to a Merc who kept blowing off his family and ignoring some his flaws (old 3rd ed game).

I think he chose the second, and imagine the Merc's suprise when his young daughter was dressed up in the finest revealing "clubware" and was hitthing on and later hookied up with the group's Street Sam.

:o
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Morg

« Reply #14 on: <04-25-11/1022:04> »
I generally make 3-6 Time line based plot lines per character Plus the main plot line and 2-3 fluff stories then I make news reports involving the activity's of my other SR groups I run 3 different games and I like to try to keep them all on the same time line.

you would be amazed how often you can use the same plot line just change the names and the order of events.