NEWS

Lifespans

• 22 Replies

swliner

• Newb
« on: <04-14-11/1659:22> »
The current timeline places the game in 2072.  Unexplained Genetic Expression, where children were born as Dwarves or Elves, started in 2011, or 61 years ago.  Which means that 61 is the oldest that a dwarf or elf should be.  So how is it that they have 'estimated lifespans' of 100+ years?

Daheim

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <04-14-11/1709:46> »
Good question. Maybe that is, more or less, OOC information. Just for us to use as players?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <04-14-11/1716:22> »
No, there's a medical technique that can measure the rough estimate of lifespan.  I can't remember the particulars, but...

Stupid brain no workie.

Seriously, this is Shadowrun.  The lifespan of anyone is just a bit after they've been struck by a stray round.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #3 on: <04-14-11/1730:26> »
There's also the elusive ancient elves from a different age that reemerged...

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-14-11/1758:23> »
In SR1 Core book, under the meta-species descriptions is where it's first mentioned, something like "genetic markers indicate a lifespan of..." (though I'm quoting from memory, at work, books at home). I've seen the same phrase/method used in my 4.5 month cramming of the last 5 years of SR 4th edition books...but I can't remember where, maybe Running Wild, Vice, or Corporate Guide (last 3 books I've read). 2nd edition but not 3rd (I think) mentioned the same thing in the species description sections. Both mentioned for the elves that all tests have been inconclusive (or something along those lines).

I could further belch out ideas like, "by using DNA markers, body mass, metabolism rates, etc., fairly accurate species lifespans can be determined with a minimal +/- 5% of median age. So for example, if tests indicate a median age of 75 years, we would be confident (3 sigma) that the natural age range of that species under optimal conditions and environment would be from 71.25 - 78.75 years." But I stress "belch." :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

swliner

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-14-11/1805:17> »
...there's a medical technique that can measure the rough estimate of lifespan...
There's a medical technique for humans, whose to say that elves or dwarves work the same way, seeing as how they haven't been around long enough for us to verify the accuracy of the tests?  Maybe they stay youngish and healthy right up until they croak at the human average age?

As for the previous age elves, does that mean we're averaging their ages in with the rest of the nobilispopulation? ;) :P

I'm actually kind of curious about the reduced lifespans of trolls and orks, as well, though there are a slew of potential in universe explanations that means they don't bug me as much.  For example: Does it include the ones who goblinized (ie were already adults or at least teenagers) in the 2020's?  If so, do they start measuring from their birth date or their goblinization date? The latter option could easily lop 20+ years off the measured lifespan.  Not to mention that the process itself may be traumatic and lead to a shortened lifespan.  And of course there's the possibility that the averages are being dragged down by high levels of infant mortality (what with the predilection towards multiple births and the reduced economic circumstances arising from rampant racism) and that an ork that reaches adulthood could easily live as long as a human.
« Last Edit: <04-14-11/1821:30> by swliner »

savaze

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <04-14-11/2116:00> »
Maybe some adult humans turned elf in the Goblinization as well?!

Tarot

• Newb
  • Never get involved in a land war in Asia
« Reply #7 on: <04-14-11/2244:10> »
As I understand it Orks and Trolls that goblinized live a normal human lifespan, where those that are born live the adjusted lifespans. I'm getting this info from one of the novels. The first one with Kellan Colt in it if I remember correctly.
Why do they always shoot the mage 1st?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <04-14-11/2253:42> »
Long and ever ago before that.  But, yes, Goblinized Orks and Trolls live a human-length lifespan.

Elves and Dwarves lifespans are based on a medical test of the breakdown of various parts of (meta)human anatomy that deteriorate at a steady pace throughout our lives (I cannot for the life of me remember what this is, and it's upsetting me.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #9 on: <04-14-11/2254:33> »
Maybe some adult humans turned elf in the Goblinization as well?!
There's one example from a novel where someone goblinized into a Dwarf, but it's not supported anywhere else in canon;  it's called "Goblinization" for a reason, it only happened to Orks and Trolls.  Elves and Dwarves were born, goblins changed, which (along with their charisma modifiers, their appearance, their great physicality and limited mentality, etc) is part of why they're disliked more strongly than the others.
« Last Edit: <04-14-11/2258:04> by Critias »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #10 on: <04-14-11/2256:06> »
Don't forget the breeding rates.  Orks have litters after all.

"Room For A Litter" is a great Orxploitation song!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

savaze

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <04-14-11/2323:47> »
(Here's a Humanis Policlub slogan) Elves and dwarves are ugo's and orcs and trolls are goblins, too many uglies after the great change lets do something about it! (It's a slang play on the word ugly and the term UGE for my non-English speaking friends... Great now it's not funny!)

I've never actually played a human in SR...  I'm in a weird mood after a two hour political debate.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <04-14-11/2336:13> »
If you have to explain the joke, it either does not become funny...  Or you're trying to tell it to a Humanis member.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <04-15-11/0142:50> »
SR1H (Hardbound 7101) pg 25 (Dwarf) "[Dwarven] life span is unverified, but predictions based on metabolic rates run to over a hundred years."

SR1H (Hardbound 7101) pg 26 (Elf) "The Elven life expectancy is unverified; claims that there were Elves already adult when the UGE syndrome became widespread indicate possible life spans of several hundred years, but metabolic studies are inconclusive."

SR1H (Hardbound 7101) pg 26 (Troll) "Metabolic studies and direct observation indicate a life expectancy of about 50 years."
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <04-15-11/0148:31> »
I've never actually played a human in SR...  I'm in a weird mood after a two hour political debate.
I'll take a two hour debate over Keynesian economics and deficit reduction over one about RAW critter powers any day of the week. The fights get less ugly.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II